The January Transfer Window 2011

Lineker

Hey, for £35m I would say Newcastle have to do it. But Liverpool are paying entirely over the odds for someone of his calibre. However, there's every chance it will work out well for him and Kenny is the sort of guy to be able to deal with Carroll's temper issues. It may be good for him - a chance of a fresh start and possible European football. If Newcastle can get somebody in return on loan from Liverpool, even better. Maybe Pacheco could go out to them? Plus, as therockbox. said anyone bought today will be paying a premium for players.

It has every chance of working out well, as much as every chance of fucking up. But let's think positive about this one today.

In terms of where do Newcastle go from here? Rickie Lambert is 6ft 2in and good at free kicks. Or give Bristol Rovers £2m and you can have Will Hoskins :shifty:

If I were a Newcastle fan, I'm not sure how I'd be feeling. Unless you think you can qualify for Europe with Carroll, it doesn't really matter where you finish, because it's not like you're going down and the 35m will be so much more than the difference in positions. Then you get to reinvest it. Admittedly given your track record you probably wouldn't invest it well, but still - it gives you the opportunity to strenghten your squad. Could you finish 6th or 7th with Carroll? Quite possibly since nobody's made a strong claim outside of the top 5. Selling your key player to probably your biggest rival for European qualification isn't ideal.

I hope, if Carroll does make the move, that the pressure doesn't get to him. I think he's a real prospect at the moment and I'd really like to see him as a constant fixture in the England squad. He's a tall, strong forward who seems to just have a knack for scoring goals. However, as someone pointed out, we don't know if he can do this long term. And even if he's not a hit instantly, there's nothing to say he won't take a year or two to settle. Berbatov took a good few years to settle down and he's now having the best season of his career and proving his worth.

Saying that, Carroll will become the 8th most expensive signing in the world(?) if the move goes through. That's does make the sum seem far too generous.

Also, I hope Carroll doesn't do a Marcus Stewart. He had one fantastic season in the Premiership, scoring twenty something goals, before he went to shit. There's probably a better example, but he's the one I remember most prominantly.

Be arsed paying over 20mil for Andy Carroll......He is worth 20mil AT MOST, and now we've supposedly put a 3rd bid in seriously wtf just go after some like Wolfswinkel or whatever his name is someone like that for about 10-15 mil instead of panic buying and basically throwin all the money from a possible Torres transfer for Andy fucking Carroll

35m for Carroll would mean he's better than Suarez basically.

Gimme a f'n break.

No it wouldn't.

No because English players are automatically overpriced, I get this. It's still ridiculous to pay 35m for a player like Carroll. Just keep Torres and partner him with Suarez = awesomeness.

@davidmarrio +1 for mentioning Van Wolfswinkel :wub:

Edited by The Quasi Juice

This was all knocked into motion by Chelsea wanting Torres luring him away on Saturday. What are Liverpool to do? They need a striker and I guess the club have figured he's the best option.

I thought they did this thing where players put in their transfer requests before they make a high profile move, so that the clubs don't get hated on by the supporters. Supporters are much less willing to hate a club if they believe the player wants to go. Or something to that extent. I remember overhearing someone talk about it, but it could just be utter bullshit.