The January Transfer Window 2011

Lineker

The Carroll situation is crazy.

On one hand this is likely the most that we'll ever receive for him in the players career so selling him on the pretence of him being Shearer #02 when he could be Aboglohor #02 by this time next year is VERY tempting.

On the other hand, he's been astonishing to watch over the past two years and I'd be amazing to see him end his career here even if he turns into Ameobi. Besides, £30m can very easily fade into nothingness as far as our transfer dealings are concerned... we've done so well over the past few years BECAUSE we haven't spent £8m+ on Emre #02. The minute that clubs know that we have £30m will be the minute that our transfer targets double in price.

We need to keep him for stability purposes. Besides, it's a bad move for all concerned. Carroll needs to be playing EVERY MINUTE that he's fit if he wants to develop, and Newcastle can provide that.

Haha, yeah. Apparently he's now left by car.

The Babelcopter was pointed out by someone on the Chelsea forum, to which a true optimist replied "It's not just the picture! This guy tweeted to say so!"

That guy, by the way, was a Mirror journalist...lol.

£30m for Andy Carroll? Absolutely bloody madness. They won't spend more than £4m on Charlie Adam, but want to spunk £30m on the North-East's answer to Stan Collymore?

Although the statement of intent being shown by Liverpool with these bids is welcoming.

£30m for Andy Carroll? Absolutely bloody madness. They won't spend more than £4m on Charlie Adam, but want to spunk £30m on the North-East's answer to Stan Collymore?

Although the statement of intent being shown by Liverpool with these bids is welcoming.

I'm trying to look past the price with the Carroll bid. Any fee we pay now for anyone today (£11m for Charlie Adam is being reported, for example) is going to be inflated because the selling club know we're desperate (especially in how much time we've got left), and that we've got around £50m in our back pocket.

I think Carroll would be far less isolated at Liverpool, and would be an excellent focal point for Suarez, Gerrard, Meireles and Kuyt to buzz around. Plus if we do sign a proper winger we've got a striker perfectly equipped to beat most centre backs to the ball as well.

At 22 he seems to be on the verge of becoming an England squad regular, is apparently highly rated by Capello, and I'd imagine is yet to sign any of his big 'personal' sponsorship deals (boot/kit etc). From a purely business point of view there's an awful lot of money to be milked out of him, and unless he's a complete and utter flop then we'll make a fair whack of that money back - we ended up only making a few million loss on Keane, after all.

£30m is a massive amount of money and a big gamble, but I think anyone we sign today (especially forwards) are going to be like that. The only other option is to hope Suarez hits the ground running, or that N'Gog steps up yet another level to replace Torres for the next six months.

Carroll has an enormous amount of potential and even at his young age he's been awesome, but his personality makes me think it's just a matter of time before he implodes. I just think the money would be better spent elsewhere, though I do get that it's deadline day and to rush through a deal at this stage, the price needs to be extravagant.

• Admin

I do love a good deadline day!!

Man City want Seb Larsson on loan from Birmingham. Also, I forget who our 'Boro fan is, but:

1441: DONE DEAL: Marouane Zemmama has joined Middlesbrough from Hibernian on a three-and-a-half year deal for an undisclosed fee. The 27-year-old Moroccan midfielder had been at Easter Road since his arrival at Raja Casablanca in 2006 and would have been a free agent in the summer.

Sounds like Carroll doesn't even want to go but Newcastle have accepted the offer.

Although he's proven scumbagerly in his actions recently, you've gotta feel kinda bad for someone who's broken through at the team he supports and is wearing the most famous number at the club and is hero-worshipped by the fans there.....but now will have an offer accepted which means he'll need to uproot and go and play for a team that he doesn't care for....with massive pressure added due to the cost. At £35mil you can't really WIN at a new club, just fail if it doesn't go well.

35 Million is excellent money for Carroll. The problem Newcastle will have with selling him is that he's been built up so much by the media, talking about him being much better than I personally think he is. It means the gremlins that crawl out from underneath the Strawberry at any sight of a camera will be out in force. Plus it's deadline day and we haven't got enough strikers as it is.

Not sure if it's been posted, but Spurs are in with a 17 million bid for Forlan according to Sky Sports.

Edited by Ben E.