EWB's Top 50 Shows of 2010: The Results

GoGo Yubari

I thought the final season of 24 was good, a little slow in the beginning, but it got real good towards the end, especially when Logan returned. (Y)

Glad to see Justified made the cut, besides Terriers, it was probably the best new show this year.

Edited by Baby Hewey

Im australian but I don't watch any free to air TV shows

my top ten would have been: Dexter, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, Deadliest Catch, Simpsons, True Blood, Hu$tle, How I Met Your Mother, NCIS: LA (you got me there), Mad Men

have really been into a lot of older shows these days, mate just gave me Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared... such a shame neither got renewed for a second season... undeclared showed enormous potential!

How I Met Your Mother. You Australian.

Solid list, though. Anyway. Probably two updates today because why not? Let's go!

glee-comic-con-news.jpg

25. Glee (74 points, appeared on 11 ballots) (Last Year: #13)

futurama-new-episodes.jpg

24. Futurama (77 points, appeared on 8 ballots) (Last Year: N/A)

boardwalk-empire-cast.jpg

23. Boardwalk Empire (84 points, appeared on 9 ballots) (Last Year: N/A)

tumblr_l1t7x4B3WX1qaqfcmo1_500.jpg

22. The Big Bang Theory (85 points, appeared on 11 ballots) (Last Year: #13)

true-blood.jpg

21. True Blood (88 points, appeared on 8 ballots) (Last Year: #7) (JohnnyPerfect's Heart: Broken)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2010: And that just leaves one word; Bert. A fastidious, pigeon-worshiping felt tyrant whose draconian Sharia law allows for neither loud noise or rubber duckies! But yet, who spends his day in a children's workshop telling our impressionable youth what to think! Don't think he's dangerous? Well, I wonder what the letter E would have to say about that?

I watch mostly Playhouse Disney & Nick Jr :shifty:

I just watch all these other shows when I can remember to record them. Most of them I watch on here, especially if it'll be months before they air in Australia... Like Hawaii Five-0 which is soon to start on 10.

Also, here's a teaser for the next update; True Blood was the first show to make the top ten last year that lost its spot this year, but it definitely won't be the last! The next one's coming up in the next batch. Surprising how many shows dropped slots this year.

Disagree. I've only seen the first season of BBT but my assessment of it was that it's basically perfect popcorn TV. It's not incredibly hilarious but it's a pleasant way to kill twenty-two minutes, and with that in mind I like it being in the twenties as there are like... three to four shows on the rest of the list from this point on that I would consider BBT to be maybe better than (and those would be from equally limited vantage points save one). I was surprised to see it drop, honestly, since it seems to have had a breakthrough year in terms of popularity (as well as Jim Parsons winning the Emmy), but there you have it.

Glee, meanwhile, absolutely deserved to drop twelve places. Earlier this year it was probably around 6th on my list, and by voting time it very nearly was on the bottom if not for the fact that I decided to cut Rubicon because I realized nobody else was going to vote for it. It's losing its luster at a rapid pace, to the point where if things don't get better within the next couple episodes I might just drop it entirely.

Boardwalk placed about where it should have. Sort of a victim of its own hype; with a cast, a creator, and an executive producer like the ones it has there's no way it could have possibly lived up to expectations in a genre that's pretty well-defined by now. So it's a pretty good show but not a great show, unless you're into monologues in which case it busts out a really strong one each week. The season finale set up an incredibly interesting plot arc for season two, though, so I'm hopeful!

Same for Futurama in terms of being fine with where it placed. I sort of debated putting it on my list but it had too many episodes that left me completely flat. So did Glee, admittedly, but I guess I just held Futurama to a higher standard. If I graded it solely on "The Late Phillip J. Fry" and the bodyswitching episode it would have probably made my top five. I will say that of the animated programs on this list, Futurama is the one that I feel deserves to have its spot the most (though I'm certainly not going to complain about The Simpsons).

I only just realised there was additions to the list above my post :|

Glee: Couldn't care less about teenagers singing their way through High School.

Futurama: Have and will always enjoy watching. I just don't watch it in any order, so if there is any on-going stories, I may never see it end.

Boardwalk Empire: Never heard of it.

Big Bang Theory: I see the appeal and have caught one or two episodes. I'm just not a big fan of those types of shows.

True Blood: Never got my attention. My gf absolutely loves it but I see it as an adult Twilight. And that automatically makes me turn away from it.

• Like 1

BBT has probably dropped because this season has sucked a fair bit so far. Too focused on Sheldon being awkward.

I have friends who stopped watching BBT because they noticed the canned laughter and can't unnotice it, despite the fact they still watching HIMYM which has even faker laughter IMO. But that is the power of Barney Stinson (and Cobie, obviously. :wub:).

I enjoy Glee, but all the stuff I wait to come online so I can keep myself up-to-date it is at the bottom of the list. I was never that into it but it is fun.

Big Bang Theory I have loved since it started, but it is losing its quality. It is falling into the trap one putting too much focus on one character (Sheldon) because he is the one fans latch onto. Too many cameos these days too.

Thought this season of Futurama was incredibly weak, to be honest. Only one episode stood out to me, the rest were average or worse.

My flatmate is obsessed with True Blood and some friends are starting to come around to it, but I tried when it started but it just wasn't happening. Made it partway through the 4th episode before I quit.

I haven't seen the entirety of the newest season of Futurama yet, which is baffling when I think about it because I have every other episode on DVD and watch them regularly. I lvoe Futurama, it's a million times better than the Simpsons, and infinitely better than Family Guy or whatever, but the latest series started really, really weakly. Doing parodies of ipods, the Da Vinci Code, and, of all things, Susan Boyle? Parodying pop culture has never been the focal point of Futurama, so to have devoted what, three or four episodes in a row to it was just weird, and the actual subjects they parodied weren't even close to being relevant so it just really deflated my enthusiasm. I will probably go back to it, but not for a while, I'm afraid.

The Big Bang Theory is just shit. The whole canned laughter thing ruins it for me. Same as HIMYM. I used to be able to watch Friends with no problems, but now even watching those episodes is just cringe-inducing. The only show that uses canned laughter that isn't completely ruined for me now is Only Fools and Horses, I think.

True Blood: Never got my attention. My gf absolutely loves it but I see it as an adult Twilight. And that automatically makes me turn away from it.

Yes, yes, all vampire media is just like Twilight.

Bram Stoker's Dracula? Twilight with Keanu Reeves.

The Lost Boys? Twilight if it was set in the eighties.

Nosferatu? Black and white Twilight.

• Like 2

Loved the first series of Glee but this second series really isn't doing anything for me. I can't think of a single episode that's really stood out nor any songs. I'm quite surprised it made it up this far. Futurama was wonderful but this last series and the movies have mostly been crap. There's the odd one or two decent ones but that's about it. Never got around to watching Boardwalk Empire, heard good things but just can't be assed with a serious drama yet. Big Bang Theory was fun until the last series or two. This last one has mostly been boring as sin (the Amy Farafowler stuff is naff. LOL LADY SHELDON got old about an episode into it).

True Blood, I love True Blood. But I can understand after this fairly crappy series it being lower. Series 1 was great TV, Series 2 was even better, but it's almost like they didn't know where to go this series. I'm hoping that can just be chalked up to this being the first series to go off book and they'll figure out the next series a little better. The Wolves were a massive let down for me.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Big Bang Theory is perfectly serviceable TV, but then The Drew Carey Show was my favourite of the 90s sitcoms so what do I know. BBT is certainly not a great show, but it's got lowest-common-denominator humour that feels smarter because the characters are smart, so it appeals to a wide audience. Would have been a lot lower down my list if I watched more shows (such as Boardwalk Empire), but I don't, so it ended up pretty high.