The not-so-leet Music Thread 2011

Lowerdeck

Cause I'm lost in YI's topic mostly, I've decided to create this.

First off, a quick look backwards. My albums of the season for 2010 were as follows:

Early: "No Tolerance For Imperfection" by Man Must Die or "Crack The Skye" by Mastodon

Middle: "Sigh No More" by Mumford and Sons

Late: "The Suburbs" by Arcade Fire

Heading into 2011, there's a couple of albums which are strongly running for the album of early 2011 - even though both were released in 2010. Kings of Leon vs. Ryan Adams, right now KoL in the lead since it's been out longer.

I think Come Around Sundown is better than the previous album, been playing it a lot lately. The entire first half of the album is already on my iPod, though I have a feeling Mary might get old a little quickly.

I just picked up III/IV recently. Only heard it once so far, but I got a good feeling about it so far.

I got some shitty Black Eyed Peas song stuck in my head lately. And at my work, I hear it at least 1-2 times a day. I'd rather hear Lady Gaga on a two hour loop.

For as great as people say it is, I really have no interest in hearing the new Kanye West album.

... but I would love to disappoint Taylor Swift. :pervert:

Bruce Hornsby to restart touring in 2011, while DMB takes the year off.

Festivals I would like to go to in 2011: Bonnaroo, Electric Zoo, and at least one between Gathering of the Vibes/Nateva/Newport Folk. Voodoo might have to wait until 2012, ditto Rothbury if they have it.

One YI post and I'm already lost. (Goes to Wikipedia...)

Just found out there's a new Drive-By Truckers album to be released in February... (Y) The Big To-Do only came out last April, so the tradition of cranking out albums quickly continues.

Picked up the newish Deadmau5 album yesterday blind. It was on sale and my friend owed me money. Will come back with thoughts in the near future.

I think the Drive By-Truckers album has leaked too. But I'm not a big fan so haven't downloaded.

"Some Chords" on the Deadmau5 album is an utter tune. The rest of it fluctuates, his dubstep forays are a bit silly really.

i hear he's a really great live show, so I'm curious to hear his style of music before wandering on over to any live gig near here. I know he was in Boston a few months ago, so perhaps on a future trip here.

I was gonna see him at Bonnaroo, but that show was mobbed plus it started late. So I left there and went over to GWAR instead - which was pretty good.

This weekend I have been listening to a lot of WFNX, the alternative station in Boston. They've had a top 101 song of 2010 countdown, and a few other 101 song long countdowns as well. Great to hear radio with a playlist longer than 20 songs. I think I need to go find myself Plastic Beach by Gorillaz and possibly whatever the last Local Natives album is... been digging what I been hearing of that so far.

Is the whole new Mogwai album out there, YI? I heard Rano Pano and White Noise on youtube, but haven't come across anything else yet.

Can't decide whether I want to go and see them at the Sage or not. There's still tickets available but for some reason I'm stopping myself from getting one. There's only seating left I think, but it's the Sage, so I doubt it'd matter.

Yeah, it's definitely all out there. And I suggest holding on a bit and making up your mind, if there's only seating left. The Sage release another batch of standing tickets shortly before the gig (a week or two), or at least they did for Imogen Heap, as one day, no standing, next day, fucking loads of standing. But then again, if you're not arsed about seating (I personally fucking detest the idea), go for it, I don't want to screw you over. :shifty:

Edited by YI

Ventured 'out there' and have listened to the whole thing now, and it's definitely an album I'll buy as soon as it comes out. On first listen through I think it's fantastic, but that may be because both Too Raging to Cheers and You're Lionel Richie end the album so strong that it's stopping me from judging the whole thing fairly.

I think I'll keep an eye out for the extra standing tickets, thanks for letting me know. I've never been to the Sage before, but I thought for music like Mogwai's it'd be just as enjoyable in the seats. I'd much rather stand though.

I pre-ordered the new Bright Eyes album, the deluxe edition. CD, LP, poster, t-shirt.. all for $50. Not bad. Anyway, I can't wait to hear that. I'm going to treat this like I used to hear music when I was younger: no leaks, just the singles and what's released by the band/label.

I'm also eagerly checking Inforoo every day to see if any leaks for the Bonnaroo line-up has trickled out. So far... nothing. Not really, anyway. Biggest band that's rumored right now is Portugal. The Man. <_<

Couple of bands from Newcastle:

Let's Buy Happiness' new single called Fast Fast, due out in March I believe, is up on SoundCloud. Big fan of these.

Grandfather Birds have also put up a recording done for Amazing Radio free on their Band Camp. First heard these when they supported Let's Buy Happiness in November, I think. They especially stood out because the other support, a band called Trapped in Kansas, were shite.

Just had a listen to the other WORSHIP songs on their Myspace. Fantastic stuff.

Edited by Ben E.

Couple of bands from Newcastle:

Let's Buy Happiness' new single called Fast Fast, due out in March I believe, is up on SoundCloud. Big fan of these.

Grandfather Birds have also put up a recording done for Amazing Radio free on their Band Camp. First heard these when they supported Let's Buy Happiness in November, I think. They especially stood out because the other support, a band called Trapped in Kansas, were shite.

Just had a listen to the other WORSHIP songs on their Myspace. Fantastic stuff.

Let's Buy Happiness are good. First heard them a year or two ago, how far they've come's pretty ridiculous (wouldn't be surprised if they have a breakout year in either 2011 or 2012). Never heard of Grandfather Birds, but they sound pretty good.

For Newcastle bands I can't really look beyond Polarsets at the minute though - http://www.myspace.com/polarsets

And Trapped In Kansas are awesome. :( Although never seen them live. Down tempo math-rock with a Scottish accent, exactly what I love.

Edited by YI

...Jesus Christ...the new Get Up Kids songs are FUCKING TERRIBLE!!! Like, unbelievably FUCKING TERRIBLE. Dodgy electronic bullshit...sounds so fucking bad...I mean I could just about stomach/didn't mind the stuff they recorded upon reforming, a bit groovy, somewhere between "On A Wire" and "Guilt Show", but fucking hell, this album's going to be a pile a shit if these songs are anything to go by.

New favourite band - http://www.myspace.com/meursaulta701

So nothing could beat "Downtrodden Scottish accent over indie-rock", but that was beaten by "Downtrodden Scottish accent over indie-folk", that is now beaten by "Downtrodden Scottish accent over Casiotone For The Painfully alone style indietronica".

Fucking beautiful. Wish I'd know about the album sooner.