The not-so-leet Music Thread 2011

Lowerdeck

I've been listening to nothing but Our First American Friends the last couple days, and I'm not sure how I feel about the new song. It's, uh, weird. I'm hoping it grows on me.

Also, listened to the new Weatherbox EP today, and holy crap, it's amazing. Like, best stuff they've ever done.

• 3 weeks later...

...am I missing something regarding Lana Del Ray? She sounds like a generic female artist, singing boring pop songs, championed by Pitchfork because some fashion designer probably told her to indie-it up, and has collagen lips shaped like a balloon animal. I don't get it.

I'm on the fence when it comes to Lana. I think she has an interesting voice and has some decent songs behind her, but I don't understand the hype or hate towards her. The dude from Girls was pissed that she was featured on Jools, which brought me joy because the dude behind Girls kinda comes across like a douche.

Do you like the new Girls album? I don't know if it's better than Album, or if I like Album more. It's not BAD, but I don't know if I like the change of their sound, I guess.

They're really good live, though.

Do you like the new Girls album? I don't know if it's better than Album, or if I like Album more. It's not BAD, but I don't know if I like the change of their sound, I guess.

They're really good live, though.

Yeah, I feel better live band than studio albums. I don't really like the new album so much. I thought Lust for Life was good, but wasn't a huge fan of their first album.

I like the Video Games song. Got directed to it when looking at some article about David Lynch influenced music. Back then it had like 10,000 views or something - I was shocked to see it crop up in the charts and hit the 3 mil mark. I dig the song and welcome it in the charts compared to the likes of Nicki Minaj, anyway.

Listening to the new James Blake EP, if this is the sound he's crafting for the next album, I'm okay with that. I also listened to the CMYK/Bells Sketch EPs, and I kinda wish he'd go back to that as well. I'm torn, because it's all soooo good.

I love James Blakes first three EPs, I adored his album but his new stuff just misses the mark. That collaboration with Bon Iver was not listenable and a low definite low point for both.

• 2 weeks later...