The not-so-leet Music Thread 2011

Lowerdeck

"Home Is A Fire" is probably my favourite of the songs doing the rounds already. Cool and atmospheric, the chorus is awesome. "We Have The Facts..." style guitar riff only with glitchy electronic undertones, works pretty well. Especially when it kicks in with the heavy drumbeats the 2nd time round. Could see this being one of/possibly my favourite on the album.

"Codes And Keys" is a strange, strange, strange title-track. Given that it sounds absolutely nothing like Death Cab For Cutie at all. The only thing I can think of is that after Wolf Parade made an album called "Expo '86" Death Cab thought "Steal our song title, well we'll write a song that sounds like it should be on your first album". Not logical reasoning. But honestly, not sure what to make of this. I guess it's okay. But the clunky piano and sweeping strings just doesn't feel like Death Cab.

I've seen a bunch of people getting annoyed over the dodgy heavy breathing in "Some Boys", but I love it. 1:04-1:06 is total stereotypical Death Cab riff territory, would have loved for it to have been expanded a bit. A fun little song, presume it'll be one to slot into their live shows.

"Doors Unlocked And Open" needs the bassline from "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac added to the intro. Bit of a strange open. Riff goes on for ages, strong bassline, reminds me a bit of "I Will Possess Your Heart" in style (a bit faster). Actually, reminds me more of a Feeder song without the distortion. The chorus has just come in, definitely not in "I Will Possess Your Heart" territory anymore. So ridiculously poppy and catchy in comparison to the rest of the song. I love it. That chorus is amazing. I'm calling 2nd single (unless something more obvious comes up later on). I'm praying for a key change. No key change. :( That would have just tipped it over the edge.

"You Are A Tourist" is awesome. Not the same without being to see the bassists ridiculous strut though. Total Modest Mouse/Built To Spill riff, catchy as sin vocal line.

"Unobstructed Views" is starting with massive promise. Electronic stuff, piano starts crescendoing through. This is pretty. Hopefully when the song starts it doesn't go to pot. Long, long, long instrumental section. 3-minutes and still no vocals. Haven't gotten sick of it yet. 3:06, we have vocals. This is pretty awesome. Stylistically similar to "Transatlanticism", only with electronics, really working for me. There's some proper dodgy shit happening in the background now, and it's awesome. Think this might be my favourite song, you expect a massive ending which doesn't quite come, but I think it might be better for it.

"Monday Morning" okay this might be the 2nd single. Pretty straight forward indie-pop, nice and sunny, would work really well as a stand-alone track. 1:31! Death Cab cliché! Vocal line has now turned into "Death Of An Interior Decorator".

"Portable Television" has more dodgy piano clunks. Quirky drum beat, really like it. Doesn't feel like Death Cab though. Pretty fucking catchy. Sounds more like The Coral. "Ohh, ohh, ohh" chorus. Really nice, just seems a little out of place I get. Nice summer song though.

"Underneath The Sycamore" reminds me a little bit of "No Sunlight" or "Crooked Teeth". Follows the upbeat trend of the previous 2-songs. Been a bit of a catchy overkill.

"St. Peter's Cathedral" is weird, as there's no reverb (which for this type of song, Death Cab normally lay on ultra thick). Here come electronics. For those wanting a new Postal Service album, the best you're going to get is Dog & Panther, but then it's probably this song and "Home Is A Fire". Actually doesn't really sound like The Postal Service now it's kicked in. Big fan of the ending.

"Stay Young, Go Dancing" is an acousticy one. Some strings and stuff. Actually, full band are here. Really upbeat actually. D'awwww Zooey's made him happy. The homo.

Ultimately, it's a bit too happy for Death Cab, especially the 2nd half of the album after "Unobstructed Views". "Codes & Keys" is probably my least favourite song, just not feeling it. "Unobstructed Views", "Home Is A Fire", "Monday Morning" and "Doors Unlocked And Open" are probably my favourites.

Found an old, rubbish USB MP3 player when tidying stuff out this afternoon. Last in use 3-years ago. I know this because it was then when I saw Ignite and The Weakerthans in one long weekend, and about 70% of it is full of Weakerthans and Ignite songs.

The rest is what went to be the first and 2nd "Big Gay Face" playlists. There's a few differences (eg. the first playlist is like 35 songs. Thank fuck I decided to cut that down, although some of them are duplicated on the 2nd playlist later on) but man, the quality of them totally nosedived by the time I stopped doing them. So much awesome stuff on here which I haven't heard in ages/totally forgotten about;

(not digging the newer mix though)

Being such examples. Still want Indoor Fireworks to come back too.

Haha I remember Lets Talk Tactics used to listen to it all the time. Absolutely fantastic.

DISILLUSION TO THE HILT

YOU'RE A BUNDLE OF FUN

MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL

TO BE FAIR YOU LOST IT ALL

And yeah, the older version was better - y'know, when he didn't talk like a posh schoolboy?

Edited by IAceI

So, Andrew Jackson Jihad and Into It. Over It. are opening for Frank Turner on his upcoming US tour. One the one hand, cool, I like all these people. On the other hand, my love for AJJ far outshines my like for Turner, and it's going to be weird to see them in a non-basement. I might even skip the show, depending on how much tickets cost.

Sweet Jesus. That line-up is amazing. You cannot honestly be turning that down. I've sort of faded on AJJ, I've basically faded on that sort of 'angry folk' stuff in general though (actually, I've basically faded on 'punk rock' in general). Would love to see Into It Over It though.

1307461767896.jpeg

God I love Gemma Hayes.

Kyte remix album is really nice (been cropping up on blogs). Was already familiar with the majority of it (Au Revoir Simone, Joy Formidable, Wombats, Stephanie Dosen, The Late Parade, A Red Season Shade remixes) but there's some cracking stuff on there, the remix of "Cover My Eyes" by The Shortwave Fade is probably the standout, besides Au Revoir Simone's "Lucky One". A little disappointed that "Terra Firma" isn't a Young Knives remix. And the remix of some band called Feldberg is a good one too. They've tagged a couple of their own tracks on the end too, a reworking of "Designed For Damage" which isn't too good, it's all dodgy and 80's pop-ified and just doesn't really work IMO, and "Silhouette Of The Speaker" which has been floating around as "29" for ages, good tune though. I still want "8" to be released, one of my favourite Kyte tracks.

Proper, proper, proper loving this song too;

Edited by YI

New Frank Turner is pretty nice, think I might prefer it to his last one. Not a patch on the 2nd album though. Prefer the new Jonah Matranga. He writes some terrible lyrics, but somehow they work (although I don't think anything will top the horrendous "A-L-L-Y-S-O-N" for terrible lyrics in a great song).

Edited by YI

I'm late on the Frank Turner bandwagon, but a live session for Lauren Laverne a week or two ago made me want to get the album, and Eulogy is an absolute belter.

Still loving these.

Nice Lifetime cover;

Good Rilo Kiley cover done in a bathroom;

They did "Trusty Chords" today. Not one of their best, but hilarious purely for the girls sitting in the background clearly not giving a fuck. The American Football cover is still easily the best though.

99.99% sure these are going to be my "punk-rock band to pimp for 2011" - http://www.myspace.com/banquetsamerica

And they have a new song called "Sexy Ghosts" out, which is awesome. I think it was a sound call.

Edited by YI