The not-so-leet Music Thread 2011

Lowerdeck

I am in love with the "Glockenspiel Song" by Dog is Dead, it was the last song on the most recent season of Skins and it just puts a smile on my face, I am really looking forward to when these guys drop a full length.

Yeah, definite grower of an album. Thought it was good, but think it's great now. You'll probably also like the new My Little Pony CD, similar sort of stuff.

Also seriously can't wait for this album;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgPnUcLFXPQ

I just have a feeling it's going to be so ridiculously good.

Death Cab ditched their trademark folk-rock strums for analog synths and a string section. “It feels very Seventies electronic,” says Walla, who cribbed “drone noises and non-traditionally musical junk” from Brian Eno (one of his teenage heroes) and LCD Soundsystem. “We wanted to explore how bands were using machines in the pre-computer era.”

This could be good or downright awful. All the bad bits of the recent Get Up Kids album are flooding to me. :( When there was the hype of 'less guitar' I was hoping more piano stuff etc, never thought of the electronic route. :/

Scrub my fears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln73i5zQH8Q

LOVING! :wub:

It's getting some shit though. :(

Absolutely adore the new Death Cab song. The verse vocal line is catchy as hell and the riff sounds like "Good News..." era Modest Mouse, so can't complain.

New Frank Turner song. Really liking this too.

Also found out Screaming Maldini put out an EP around Christmas;

Need to pick it up.

http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/exclusive_stream_balance_and_composures_quake/

New Balance & Composure song too. Debut album should be cracking. Haven't managed another song as good as "Waiting, Thinking, Giving Up" yet though.

Edited by YI

Not fully sold on the new Roommate album ("Guilty Rainbow"). It seems a little bland at times. The tail section seems to be better. "After The Boom" is probably my favourite track, "Snow Globe" is still awesome too. Like "L.D.S" earlier on as well. The Guided By Voices cover is fairly good, but not a patch on their Fall Out Boy cover from a few years back. Basically, "We Were Enchanted" sounded like a drug trip. This sounds like a totally fucked up comedown. As things stand, it's my least favourite of their 3 albums, but still okay. Seems like it might grow on me.

In more 'upbeat' news the new Half Hearted Hero EP totally fucking shreds. But just seems to make me wonder how long I will have to wait for the new A Wilhelm Scream album.

Also, Panda Bear and some other stuff has leaked. Hoping Panda Bear has another song that sounds like someone pulling a roller coaster through a church. That was the best.

Edited by YI

Panda Bear's new album is fucking godly.

I'm also currently loving the new City & Colour single, "Fragile Birds". And the new Kurt Vile album, "Smoke Ring For My Halo".

Oh, and tUnE-yArDs. Pretty excited for the new Memory Tapes album, too.

Neil Buchanan, yes... the Art Attack one, is in a metal band called Marseille.

They've released a single called The Man with a Shrivelled Penis.

Televised battle of the bands. Neil Buchanan's metal band vs. Loyd Grossman's punk band. SOMEONE DO IT!

YI what was the song/band that featured on one of the gay lists.

I think it was called Sparks but that might have been the name of the band. It was just one song and there wasn't much info about them on the net, ring any bells? Doing my head in and I can't specify it enough for google to help.

I'm looking for some recommendations for music, specifically anything dream pop (anything like Julee Cruise, Cocteau Twins, This Mortal Coil etcetera) or downbeat/subdued electronica (anything like 'Adore'-era of The Smashing Pumpkins).

Anything dark ambient would also be lovely.

Thanks.

YI what was the song/band that featured on one of the gay lists.

I think it was called Sparks but that might have been the name of the band. It was just one song and there wasn't much info about them on the net, ring any bells? Doing my head in and I can't specify it enough for google to help.

YOU'LL FIND US IN THE SILENCE, WITHIN THIS ISLAND, WITH UNICORNS AND LIONS!

That would be "Sparks" by Targets. Awesome song. Broke up a canny while back (before they were even on a playlist I think).

http://www.myspace.com/targets

Oh and while I remember, Ace, the new Pour Habit album's about ("Got Your Back").

Edited by YI

I'm looking for some recommendations for music, specifically anything dream pop (anything like Julee Cruise, Cocteau Twins, This Mortal Coil etcetera) or downbeat/subdued electronica (anything like 'Adore'-era of The Smashing Pumpkins).

Anything dark ambient would also be lovely.

Thanks.

Maybe something like Piano Magic would work

Edited by YI