The not-so-leet Music Thread 2011

Lowerdeck

It seems okay, but not massively digging it. It's certainly nowhere near as catchy as "The Road", which is what I think he's going for. The last album, I only really dug "The Road", "Dan's Song" and "Richard Divine", with "Richard Divine" being the only song where he really showed any significant song-writing flair, and that was just Blur-lite.

Seriously, song's so fucking good;

It's no "HE SAYS THAT THE GHOST IN THE KITCHEN KEEPS TURNING THE MICROWAVE ON!!!" though.

The new Cold Cave album has leaked. The lead single is fucking HUGE!!! Real big hopes for this. Will give a listen before bed;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMZHdPb5Lxk

Edited by YI

Saw Mogwai and the Twilight Sad at the Sage last night. Both were amazing, despite some microphone problems during a few of Twilight Sad's songs.

The crowd loved 'I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead' and Mogwai really went into a different gear after that. My highlight was 'You're Lionel Richie' off of the new album, though. Deafening is the only way I can describe it when it kicked in, but in the best way possible. The sage was the perfect venue for them too. I sat on the second level balcony almost right in the middle facing the stage and don't think I could have picked better seats. There was something about being able to see the crowd react to the music as well as a great view of the stage which made it better.

I haven't been to that many 'bigger' gigs, but Mogwai was my favourite by far.

Fuck all these 'cool Christian' bands and shit these days, with their haircuts and synths and screaming and shit. They can try and be badass all they want, but nothing anyone can do will top Pedro The Lion.

It's like they went, "Fuck, everyone's categorising us as Christian rock/indie, what do we do?...I know, let's write some nonchalant songs about fucking and then have a song with the line "If it isn't penetration, then it isn't worth a kiss". That'll sort shit out."

"Control" is such a sleeper album. Had been ages since I'd listened to it until the other week and I've been blasting it a shitload since.

Edited by YI

http://www.npr.org/2011/02/27/134056034/first-listen-the-mountain-goats-all-eternals-deck#playlist

New Mountain Goats CD streaming there, and you can probably find it elsewhere to download at this point. Really liking it a lot better than their last outing so far, can't wait to see them later this year.

New Jeniferever has leaked. :D :D :D :D :D

SYNTH BASS!!! Live they played with 2-fucking bass players, it sounded like an aeroplane taking off, do they need even more bass power!?!?! Fucking hell, loving this and I'm only half a song in. And track 2 descends into a cheesy as sin guitar solo. Sweet Jesus I am in love with this. Okay, track 3 sounds a bit like recent Keane. I'm not overly sold on this one. The awesomeness was always going to end at some point. :(

New Lupe, Does It Offend You Yeah?, Panda Bear and Patrick Stump are about too. Oh, and Mountain Goats as has already been brought up.

Scrub the Panda Bear, it's apparently fake.

Edited by YI

http://www.npr.org/2011/02/27/134056034/first-listen-the-mountain-goats-all-eternals-deck#playlist

New Mountain Goats CD streaming there, and you can probably find it elsewhere to download at this point. Really liking it a lot better than their last outing so far, can't wait to see them later this year.

I don't like it as much as The Life of the World To Come ... Yet. That one was a grower for me. I've listened to All Eternal's Deck pretty much all today. It's grown on me as the day has worn on. More than the last Bright Eyes album.

Okay, I know fuck all about music, but can anybody give me an idea if these bands are worth seeing:

The Barker Band

Benjamin Folke Thomas

The Great Whale

La Rabla Fam

Shooting Star Poets

The Vagabonds

Bastille

Dark Moon

The Joker And The Thief

Thelights

Tom & The Tides

The Welcome Committee

Cheers :)

New Yuck album is lovely. Possibly my faverit of the year. Frankie & heartstrings is nice too. And that Gil Scott-Heron & Jamie XX thing is exciting me. I was previously unsure about it, because although I thing Mr Scott-Heron is very good indeed, the XX just bore me. But this album is good.

Noah & Whale - boring

Lupe Fiasco - dull

Beady Eye - worst ever

I still haven't checked out the Yuck album. When I saw them with Modest Mouse I found them painfully boring, so I've put off getting hold of it. The Frankie album is really good, even if I think I prefer the Little Comets album (which I know will get a shitload of plays in the summer from me, total sunny feel).

Zoey Van Goey album has grown on me ridiculous amounts. Really love "Extremeties", "Sackville Sun", "Little Islands", "You Told The Drunks I Knew Karate" and "My Aviator".

Jeniferever album is huge too. Doesn't hit like "Spring Tides" yet, but it definitely doesn't feel like a step down. Could (have) listened to "Deception Pass" on repeat like 8-times in a row. That, the title track ("Silesia"), "Dover", "Waifs & Strays" and "Cathedral Peak" are probably my favourites.

Edited by YI

The Little Comets album is quality, I love that. A few of my friends are really into Yuck, and upon a few listens, I think they're quite good. I need to listen to the Frankie & The Heartstrings album. I've heard one single, which is quite good, so I'm interested in listening to the rest.

Also, can't believe it's like 2-years since I first discovered them. But the Sound Of Arrows album is out soon. And this is the lead single;

Love it. Not sure if I love it as much as "M.A.G.I.C", but it's about on par with "Into The Clouds" for me.

I give it about 2-months and they'll be on tour with Alphabeat. :shifty: