The not-so-leet Music Thread 2011

Lowerdeck

• 2 weeks later...

Devildriver's "Beast" album leaked a couple mornings ago.

Do you like Devildriver? Buy it.

Don't like Devildriver? Let it be. It's the same sound they've had (which to me isn't a bad thing, as I love them.)

Best song: Shitlist.

I thought that James Blake chap was supposed to be good/groundbreaking? His new album is really quite average, trending towards dreadful.

New Streets album also not very good, but Skinner's been off the boil for a while now so wasn't expecting much.

On the bright side albums by Mélanie Pain and Gregg Allman are both really quite nice.

I thought that James Blake chap was supposed to be good/groundbreaking? His new album is really quite average, trending towards dreadful.

Oh my god, so fucking true. Although I'd possibly go as far as to say, it's a bit shit.

Yeah I wasn't too impressed with Computers and Blues. It had been built up as something big and I thought due to it being his last, it would be something good. Everything on it ranges from decent to a bit poor and there isn't anything really memorable.

I'm not sure how new it is, but a band called Dumbo Gets Mad have released an album where you pay for it via a tweet or a facebook status update. It's a nice idea to spread the word about the album. As for the music it's self, I like it. It's a bit weird, not normally what I'd listen to but I enjoyed it.

Here's the link to the download info and they have a few songs up on youtube, obviously.

new Beans on Toast album is beautiful.

yesyesyesyesyes

I'm going to see him at Moles in Bath because my friend asked him to. He's basically doing a tour where he'll play anywhere you want as long as you cover travel and booze/drug money. My friend cleverly persuaded a bar/venue to pick up the tab.

Defeater 7-inch rules. The first track is awesome;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8z207prkkk

But it's the acoustic track which totally steals the show;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8Bo0NKbPTE

This, "Hardcore band who do the occasional Bright Eyes-ish acoustic number" gimmick really works. :D

And new Decemberists is okay, but as far as writing a fully consistent album, they definitely peaked with "The Crane Wife", and there hasn't been enough strides forward since then, it's just become a bit dull.

Edited by YI

The new Owen song ("Oh, Evelyn") is looooooooovely.

Got hold of new PJ Harvey, Hercules & The Love Affair, My Little Pony, The Low Anthem, When Saints Go Machine (EP), Joan Of Arc and Ringo DeathStarr (can't not love the name), which I now have to find time to listen to.

Also, full backing to the band Trophy Wife. Seemingly a 'side project' from a couple of guys from Jonquil. Saw them supporting Esben & The Witch last week. Google search tells me that there's a load of people on their cock already, 'big things' are expected from them.

I fucking love the idea behind the video for "The Quiet Earth".

Edited by YI

Mountain Goats playing Cluny on the 30th of May. £15 advance. Trying to find a full list of UK dates.

22 - Whelans, Dublin, Ireland

24 - Coalition, Brighton, England

25 - KOKO, London, England

27 - Academy 3, Manchester, England

28 - Brudenell Social Club, Leeds, England

29 - King Tuts, Glasgow, Scotland

30 - Cluny, Newcastle, England

Haven't listened to anything I posted about last post, besides a bit of Hercules & The Love Affair, which seemed okay. But got hold of the new Stripmall Architecture EP, the new Tennis album, new Wombats EP, an album by Blackbird Blackbird (excited for this, their Modest Mouse cover was/is awesome), new Bayside and the new Miss Kittin EP. God knows when I'll actually listen to any of these fuckers. So not in the mood for new music at the minute.

Edited by YI