The not-so-leet Music Thread 2011

Lowerdeck

Holy shit, the new Funeral For a Friend track is a monster:

http://www.aimini.net/view/?fid=EC1i0FH3wDc9jcuFamha

Looking forward to seeing them in April.

I always thought that FFAF were a bit... different. Then again, I was get them and Bullet for my Valentine mixed up. Both local and came out around the same time. Not a bad song, reminds me of Reuben.

Let's see...

I like the new Deadmau5 album, at least from the first couple times I've heard it. The non-vocal parts are by far better.

Last weekend I picked up the last Local Natives album, which so far has been mildly disappointing. Also got the Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears album from 2009 which is good but short.

Starting to warm up to Ryan Bingham's last album.

Holy shit, the new Funeral For a Friend track is a monster:

http://www.aimini.net/view/?fid=EC1i0FH3wDc9jcuFamha

Looking forward to seeing them in April.

I always thought that FFAF were a bit... different. Then again, I was get them and Bullet for my Valentine mixed up. Both local and came out around the same time. Not a bad song, reminds me of Reuben.

FFAF were a couple of years before Bullet. Reuben need to reform :(

And we have mass leaks;

Little Comets (feels like this has been AGES coming)

Codes In The Clouds

Esben & The Witch

Iron & Wine

Get Up Kids (dreading this :( It's going to be so bad :()

Cut Copy

Amplifier

White Lies

Only listened to White Lies so far, a bit meh, like their first album...although it did make me remember/hunt out the original single mix of "Unfinished Business", ridiculously good.

2011 looks to have a similar vibe to 2010, currently backing;

"I Could Do Whatever I Wanted If I Wanted" by Snowing - Ex-Street Smart Cyclist, party times twiddly indie-emo. Catchy, nasally vocals, typical stuff, but awesome.

"Goes Canoeing" by Monument - American Football esque indie, with stabby shouty vocals. Another typical band in the genre, but I love it.

"61 Penn" by Crucial Dudes - Song writing's totally stepped up from the EP. Proper loving this sort of punk-rock at the minute, can't wait for the new No Trigger album, massive hopes for it.

So, Pat Nevin DJ'd at ATP's Bowlie 2 weekender and was, by all accounts, amazing. My friend Simone, music writer/photographer and the most indie-pop woman I've ever met, and her bloke collared him in a service station after the festival to congratulate him, and challenged him to slip a reference to one of the bands he played into his 5Live commentary.

Here's the result;

Haha, that's quality.

Shockingly backed. Fucking amazing tune. Chorus is huge. Sounds like an Alkaline Trio song with a My Chemical Romance chorus, and a random riff stolen from 90's hardcore.

Edited by YI

Good skate-punk bands need to stop using shitty 'Easycore' names and art styles for their bands, because they risk me writing them off as shit easycore bands. Heartsounds did it a couple of years ago, and some band called We're Not Afraid, whose album cropped up on a bunch of blogs this morning have done it, and from first listen through of their album they're pretty good, and totally not like anything on their myspace would suggest. It's a stroke of luck their last twitter update was lyrics to a Strung Out song, or I'd never have listened to any of their songs.

Haha, that's quality.

Shockingly backed. Fucking amazing tune. Chorus is huge. Sounds like an Alkaline Trio song with a My Chemical Romance chorus, and a random riff stolen from 90's hardcore.

Thats actually pretty good. My only worry is remembering Zane Lowe playing 'We're All To Blame' on his show a few years back, gushing about how they've come on from a 3 chord Blink knockoff to that, it not doing well at all and them becoming a 3 chord Blink knockoff again. Fingers crossed...

On top of Cold War Kids, we have leaks from; A Hawk And A Hacksaw, The Joy Formidable, Hannah Peel and Emma's Imagination.

Also, The Get Up Kids album isn't as bad as I feared. It still doesn't feel like a Get Up Kids album for the most part though. "Regent's Court" is awesome, even if it just sounds like The Strokes. Still can't get away with "Automatic". A lot of the tracks sound like they'd really work live though. I've got to appreciate that in a time when everyone's pushing the 'electronic' button to sound poppier and catchier, they've just done something downright fucking weird with it. Still don't particularly like it much though, unfortunately. The opener kicks arse too. Might be better than "On A Wire" though. :shifty:

Also, who the fuck decided that "The Greatest Light Is The Greatest Shade" by The Joy Formidable would make a good closing track? They seem to be finishing shows and shit with it, and it's the last one on the album too. It's nothing but an opening track, it doesn't work as a closer.

Edited by YI

I like the new Joy Formidable album, but I'm not blown away by it. Maybe my expectations were too high. I agree about the Greatest Light, although I'm not sure what it could be replaced with. Cradle, maybe?

I'm going to see them next month, hopefully they're good.

Shh, I've had it for a few days. Emma's Imagination has been out for ages too. :shifty:

How about that ridiculous 8-minute opening track? I think that'd work pretty well as a closer, a bit of a cliché, but it'd work.

And that's Joy Formidable all over. They're alright. That's about it. Not a bad addition to your musical catalogue, a band I'd probably show up to see as a support, but wouldn't put money down to see a headline show.

The Calisota EP (side project from Jeniferever's bass player) is really nice.

Edited by YI