The not-so-leet Music Thread 2011

Lowerdeck

The Red City Radio album is pretty massive. Not Dear Landlord or Menzingers massive, but still awesome, it seems about on par with the last Leatherface album on first couple of listens. Proper loving "50th & Western", "This Day Has Seen Better Bars" and "Nathanial Martinez".

Also, why didn't I know that The Sainte Catherines put an album out last year.

New Handguns EP is out there too. Haven't listened yet, but their other two EP's have been great, so hoping/thinking it's awesome.

The new Half Hearted Hero track is still one of the most awesome things I've heard.

Got new Answering Machine on the go now. More laid back and stylish than the first album. Not really sold on it yet though. I just want some massive indie anthems like "Obviously Cold". :(

New Innerpartysystem EP is pretty swank too. I think it's more 'dancey' than their old stuff, but I may be confusing them with Does It Offend You, Yeah? so I'm not sure.

Edited by YI

Honestly, haven't even unzipped it yet. I'm a massive way behind on stuff (not allowing myself as much time to vegetate and do fuck all besides listen to music), got about 10-albums at least I need to catch up on, including stuff I've had for week. I'll probably give it a play tonight, fancy some more chilled stuff, and get back to you. Radiohead's next on the agenda though.

You got the new Owen song yet? Bloody lovely. :wub:

Edited by YI

Happy I'm in a punk-rock mood. After snapping up the new Handguns and Red City Radio yesterday, the new acoustic Transit EP, Defeater album, and albums from Laughing In The Face Of and more awesomely, Forus, are doing the rounds.

http://www.jonnycraigslist.com/index.php

Gold.

I'm not 100% clued up on the situation, but the little I've read makes it seem like the awesome singer for Emarosa/Dance Gavin Dance, but well renowned drugged up arsehole, Jonny Craig has been ripping off fans selling non-existent Macbooks over twitter.

Edited by YI

Also, not sure if anyone's a White Denim fan here (if you're not, you fucking should be!), but they've got a new(ish) album up for free at http://whitedenimmusic.com/

Yeah, it's from September, but sod it, it was a quiet release and I only discovered it a couple days ago. It's as unpolished as they've always been, but it's honestly one of the best albums I've heard in forever. Some of the songs have been floating around for a few years, but there's a new guitarist (Austin Jenkins) and he brings out so much funk. It opens up with an alternative version of 'I'd Have It Just The Way We Were', which was one of the weaker moments in 2009's Fits, but this version is just so horribly good. The guitar solo at 1:11 is glorious. There's a few songs where James Petralli ends up sounding a bit like a dirty version of early Rod Stewart (the second half of 'If You're Changing'), and other times when he sounds like a lost motown artist ('Shy Billy'). 'Home Together', 'Tony Fatti' and 'Our Get' are already penned in to be the soundtrack of my Summer, and the last track, 'New Coat' may be the prettiest song they've ever recorded. There's also a couple tracks similar to their early more psychedelic style in 'Incaviglia' and 'Light Light Light'.

Basically, this album is wonderful, and you all need to listen. Now.

• Like 1

Defeater goes all Murder By Death. :wub:

Cannot say enough how much this song turns me on. :shifty:

It's pretty 'obvious', you know the Eb chord is coming, but when it does, it's still absolutely fucking massive.

Not sure what's more awesome. Defeater going all Murder By Death or Transit going all Weatherbox on their new EP, massively in love with the reworking of "For The World".

New Alcoholic Faith Mission EP is really nice too.

Also that Zoey Van Goey song that breaks into a random 80's electro part with the line "If we were competing on a race to hell, you'd wanna win the bronze, silver and the gold as well", is bloody marvellous.

Edited by YI

It's been 6-years, but finally Circle Takes The Square are recording the follow up to "As The Roots Undo". :D :D :D

Yussss! About fuckin' time.

New Lykke Li is pretty good. Both downtempo and loud at the same time. Bizarre.

The King Of Limbs is, frankly, boring. Just...no lift, no breaks, no nothing. It's flat. :/

We're New Here, however, is amazing. Gil Scott-Heron and Jamie XX together was an idea that seemed terrible to me at first, but it is infact delicious!

Also incredibly excited for a new Guillemots album because from The Basket it actually sounds relatively like the first album, kinda. Yay!

The two new Foos tracks I've heard thus far have both been brilliant too. White Limo blows my face off every time. Plus, absolutely great video:

And finally, after now having heard some of the newer Lupe stuff, I'm very stoked for Lasers - although the three-album-one-album dealio he was aiming for sounded kinda interesting too.

I never quite dug him as much as others, but that new Lupe song that samples Modest Mouse is awesome.

Not really feeling new Lykke Li, but I think it's because I went into it expecting something different.

Radiohead's actually nice, but I loved "The Eraser" so me enjoying it was probably always going to happen.

New Roommate track is fucking awesome. Liking the new Danananananannaaykroyd song too, even if it's just more of the same.

Oh and that Miles Kane guy can fuck right off.

Edited by YI