2011 Summer Transfer Window Thread

Starvinho

Dunno if you'd wanna offer that sort of contract to a keeper who suffered a shoulder injury in the last couple of years, mind.

He'll probably do well at Villa. Great shot-stopper but he's not cut out for one of the big boys.

I'm assuming the last comment is reflective of his age, because Shay Given is only rivalled by Friedel, Cech and VDS for best keeper in Premier League history. Shot stopping, distribution, sheer consistency (rolling the ball once to be tapped in by a striker behind him is the only clanger I can think of in 15+ years), even his command of the box is better than people give him credit for (Villa fans will soon learn about his terrifying high pitched scream).

If, and I'm fairly sure he won't, De Gea ends up being the start of another Man U keeper struggle they could do a lot worse than Given in the same way as picking up VDS at an advanced age. Arsenal should have been kicking the door down frankly.

So you've just decided to ignore the likes of Schmeichel then?

I've always rated Given, though rockbox (I think it was him) pointed out something interesting in the past regarding his commanding of the box or something, which he'd obviously explain better. Given had to move though, because he had no chance the day Hart showed up, who is simply a better keeper than what Given is. He'll do well at Villa, really good signing.

I did forget Schmeichel :blush: , though I think I pretty much got 'the likes of'. Point still stands though, when Arsenal are bringing a 40 year old Jens Lehmann in as backup keeper Shay Given is certainly 'cut out for the big boys'. He definitely had to move and Joe Hart will certainly jump onto that elite list if his career continues the way its going, but Given could have played for a top club at any stage of his career had he not been so loyal to Newcastle for so long. Villa have done very well to swap a 40 year old Friedel for a 35 year old Given.

Dunno if you'd wanna offer that sort of contract to a keeper who suffered a shoulder injury in the last couple of years, mind.

He'll probably do well at Villa. Great shot-stopper but he's not cut out for one of the big boys.

I'm assuming the last comment is reflective of his age, because Shay Given is only rivalled by Friedel, Cech and VDS for best keeper in Premier League history. Shot stopping, distribution, sheer consistency (rolling the ball once to be tapped in by a striker behind him is the only clanger I can think of in 15+ years), even his command of the box is better than people give him credit for (Villa fans will soon learn about his terrifying high pitched scream).

If, and I'm fairly sure he won't, De Gea ends up being the start of another Man U keeper struggle they could do a lot worse than Given in the same way as picking up VDS at an advanced age. Arsenal should have been kicking the door down frankly.

So you've just decided to ignore the likes of Schmeichel then?

I've always rated Given, though rockbox (I think it was him) pointed out something interesting in the past regarding his commanding of the box or something, which he'd obviously explain better. Given had to move though, because he had no chance the day Hart showed up, who is simply a better keeper than what Given is. He'll do well at Villa, really good signing.

I did forget Schmeichel :blush: , though I think I pretty much got 'the likes of'. Point still stands though, when Arsenal are bringing a 40 year old Jens Lehmann in as backup keeper Shay Given is certainly 'cut out for the big boys'. He definitely had to move and Joe Hart will certainly jump onto that elite list if his career continues the way its going, but Given could have played for a top club at any stage of his career had he not been so loyal to Newcastle for so long. Villa have done very well to swap a 40 year old Friedel for a 35 year old Given.

Nah. There's a reason why no top club made any effort to sign him, and Manchester City replaced him fairly quickly. He's a good shot stopper, but he's average at best at everything else. He rarely comes off his line, has no command of his area and his footwork is appalling. When he was at Newcastle there was a leaked document showing Mourinho's scouts had pinpointed him as a weakness, pointing out he was inconsistent and weak from corners.

He's a decent enough keeper, but never in a million years one of the best in Premier League history, and ultimately you have to ask yourself why no top club ever tried to sign him.

Nah. There's a reason why no top club made any effort to sign him, and Manchester City replaced him fairly quickly. He's a good shot stopper, but he's average at best at everything else. He rarely comes off his line, has no command of his area and his footwork is appalling. When he was at Newcastle there was a leaked document showing Mourinho's scouts had pinpointed him as a weakness, pointing out he was inconsistent and weak from corners.

He's a decent enough keeper, but never in a million years one of the best in Premier League history, and ultimately you have to ask yourself why no top club ever tried to sign him.

To be fair for a small chunk of his career, Newcastle were considered a top club. People seem to forget that Newcastle were consistently a top side under Bobby Robson. The year before Chelsea got all their money we finished above them and Liverpool in 3rd place. Given had a fine career at Newcastle and when it was clear the club was doomed he went to a bigger side.

He has to be considered on eof the best in the Premier League's history, especially considering the piss-poor defence he often found in front of him. Realistically it's one of Cech, VDS, Schmeichel, Reina, Friedel, Seaman or Given. I couldn't pick one of them as the greatest ever and I don't plan on trying but Given is easily up there.

Points earned by Shay Given during his Newcastle career - 4,326,840

Points earned by the rest of the team - 6

• Like 3

I think Given's level has always been at a team just outside of the European places if I'm honest. Hence why I think he's a good signing for Villa, but he's definitely not world class like somebody mentioned earlier.

Always, despite having played 8 seasons in either the Champions League or UEFA Cup? His shot stopping has always eclipsed his other stuff (as you'd expect given the amount of shots he faced behind Bramble, Boumsong et al) but he's not anywhere near the liability people make out regards command of area, distribution etc. I'm dropping it because its starting to sound like a personal crusade (I do love the man...) but I've yet to hear anyone counter the point that he's better than anyone Arsenal have, therefore good enough for the big boys.

I actually think the near two years of inactivity have shattered his reputation, and if he's still anywhere near that quality Villa will be very pleased with their signing which sounds a right bargain.

I think Given's level has always been at a team just outside of the European places if I'm honest. Hence why I think he's a good signing for Villa, but he's definitely not world class like somebody mentioned earlier.

Always, despite having played 8 seasons in either the Champions League or UEFA Cup?

And how many of those have been through the Intertoto Cup or finishing runners up in the FA Cup? I probably should've been clearer but by European places I meant Top 6. You had the good three year spell of finishing in the Top 5 but that's the exception and not the rule really.

My point about his level ties into rockbox's point about the top clubs never taking a punt on him. Whether he's better than, say, Almunia or Gomes isn't really important - it's that the top clubs with the keepers worse than him don't see him as a decent solution and they'd rather spend money on other foreigners or try to sign guys like Friedel or Schwarzer. Just because Almunia shouldn't be playing in the Champions League, it doesn't mean Given should by virtue of being better.

but I've yet to hear anyone counter the point that he's better than anyone Arsenal have, therefore good enough for the big boys.

Whilst he'd be an improvement on the likes of Almunia and Fabianski, and obviously has more experience than Szczesny, I still don't think he'd be good enough for them and his flaws would be shown up.

It's like goalkeepers like David James and Friedel, who haven't been good enough for big clubs but went to 'smaller' clubs and looked much, much more solid. When you're at a club where you're having to make a lot of saves per game it's easier for people to ignore what you're not good at, because fans of the club will just be grateful they've got a good shotstopper and aren't being humped every week, whilst non fans will only see the good week-in, week-out on MOTD/Goals on Sunday etc.

Saying he's better than anything Arsenal have to offer isn't saying much really, I reckon I could probably get a game in goal for Arsenal.

Given's not world class, but he'd have done a decent job for any of the top sides had they taken a punt on him. They didn't however because that's all he'd have done, "a decent job" and the top clubs want better than that.

Edit: Now, Nigel Martyn, there was a keeper that should've played for a top side (for longer than we were considered one).

but I've yet to hear anyone counter the point that he's better than anyone Arsenal have, therefore good enough for the big boys.

Whilst he'd be an improvement on the likes of Almunia and Fabianski, and obviously has more experience than Szczesny, I still don't think he'd be good enough for them and his flaws would be shown up.

I'd argue that but since I've no evidence to the contrary its a non runner. Good signing for Villa.

Shay Given rules...