The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

Apparently Arsenal fans were singing chants at Adebayor mocking the Tongo killings, maybe in relation to his survival or something. I get that it's a big derby and all, but that's a bit too fucking far. Like when Leeds fans chant(ed?) about the Munich crash.

Not that I'm a Leeds fan, but felt it needed to be stated that Manchester United fans were also chanting Istanbul songs in regards to the Leeds fans stabbed there.

All sickening frankly. Ban em all.

Edit: Just seen the VdV 'handball' on MOTD2, these pundits are awful. Apparently if you chest a ball it will always bounce off at the same angle it arrived, i.e. you can't actually move your chest. Divs. Should've been booked for the run into the crowd though.

Edited by Colly

It puts them in a totally false position, much like Newcastle.

:angry:

To be fair he's right, we've not played any of the teams above us so they're sneaking off playing rubbish teams. We'll be top in November.

• Like 1

Wasn't it the Spurs fans who chanted

"

Adebayooooor!

Adebayooooooooor!

He used to like coach trips, but not any moooore!"?

Ironic if it was I suppose.

That was just in reference to his favourite passengers being voted off though, he's never watched it since, preferring to stick with the Jeremy Kyle repeat.

• Like 1

• Admin

I had heard that one but it never really caught on as a chant. Only the dad washes elephants one did. Didn't hear any riot chants yesterday though

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp and Arsenal counterpart Arsene Wenger condemned abusive chanting from fans during the north London derby.

Former Gunners striker Emmanuel Adebayor, who now plays for Spurs, was taunted about the Togo national team being attacked before the Africa Cup of Nations in Angola in January 2010.

Redknapp and Wenger were also targeted for insults during Spurs' 2-1 win.

"What was chanted at Emmanuel was disgusting," said Redknapp.

"There was some pretty disgusting chanting at me as well but that's life. How do you chant something like that at someone? You can't be right mentally. You need help."

Tottenham full-back Kyle Walker earned the hosts victory with his 73rd-minute strike, which came after Aaron Ramsey had equalised for the Gunners. Rafael van der Vaart gave Spurs the lead before the break.

But the abusive songs also included those by Arsenal fans chanting about the recent Tottenham riots.

Redknapp added: "It's got no place anywhere in life. Emmanuel never said anything to me. I think he regretted what happened when he ran to the Arsenal fans after scoring for Manchester City the other season.

"Even then what did he really do? They are all shouting abuse and he ran up and said 'have a bit of that'. He's run up and slid on his knees and said 'I've scored'. It might have been a bit over the top but he'd been getting grief for 80 minutes and that's how he reacted."

Wenger, when asked if he was disappointed at chanting from both sections of support, said: "Yes. We respect everybody and want to be respected as well."

The Arsenal boss also brushed off a confrontation with Spurs coach Clive Allen at the final whistle, which appeared to centre on Wenger's apparent refusal to shake his hand.

Wenger said: "Nothing happened. I shook the hands of the Spurs manager Harry Redknapp and his assistant. How many people do I have to shake hands with? There were no words exchanged. "

Interestingly, the only "negative chant" I've known myself to partake of is "Arsenal, Arsenal, wash your face and wash your hands and wash your Arse'n'all".

Never been a huge fan of nasty chanting. I'm much more a fan of players scoring and then celebrating right in front of the opposition fans - sshing them, waving or kissing the shirt, giving it all that.

Chants such as the ones aimed at Adebayor about the shootings, Munich/Hillsborough chants etc have no place in football. Its just disgusting that people would chant such stuff end of the day its just a game.

Everton have issued a statement regarding missiles getting thrown at Suarez and Bellamy (They forgot about Carroll when he scored....)

Also Arsenal can't catch a lucky break whatsoever, Sagna out for 3 months is just another blow for them. Their back four is getting unrecognizable by the game