The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

What harm could it really do? It gives a morale boost across the club, sells a shit-tonne of shirts and they get a good, highly-motivated player for a while. It's not as if they'll be dropping RVP to play Henry or anything silly, he'll know his place

It didn't tarnish Robbie Fowler's reputation at Liverpool one bit and everybody involved had a blast when he was there. Henry is much better than Fowler was and lets be honest Henry can do no wrong in the Arsenal fans eyes, he'll always be remembered fondly.

Yeah and I'd rather bring an ageing Thierry Henry off the bench than Marouane Chamakh anyday!, United had Rooney,Ronaldo and Saha firing in 2006/7 but Henrik Laarson was still bought in and he was a big help, Henry could work similarly.

Edited by The Future

Yeah, I definitely think an aging Henry is much better than Chamack, and could even be more useful than Gervinho's proved over the season. And Hammy nailed my thoughts, if Henry would brought off the bench - you wouldn't feel all too comfortable because I'm positive he could still produce something extraordinary. It's like when Michael Owen comes on for United - you don't think it sounds like a good idea, but you just have that feeling he'll knick a goal.

• Admin
Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed midfielder Ryan Giggs will be offered a new contract.

The 38-year-old, who has scored in every Premier League season, has been on a rolling one-year deal at Old Trafford since the age of 30.

Ferguson said: "We know he can't go on forever, but he can play for another year."

Giggs has been linked to the vacant Wales managerial job, following the death of Gary Speed.

Giggs, who made his United debut in 1991, has made 624 appearances for the Red Devils, scoring 111 goals.

In his 21-year career, the Welshman has won 12 Premier League titles, two Champions Leagues, four FA Cups and three League Cups.

Though long-time team-mates Paul Scholes and Gary Neville have both retired in the past 12 months, Giggs has continued to play an integral role when called upon by Ferguson.

Despite his age Giggs has featured in 15 matches in all competitions this season - including recent victories against QPR and Aston Villa - and 70 more between 2009 and 2011.

And, providing the veteran wants to, Ferguson cannot see any reason why he should not stay for yet another campaign.

"I think Ryan can play for another year," said Ferguson.

"There is no evidence at this moment in time that his energy, stamina or speed are decreasing. In fact, it's exactly the same as it was the last two or three years. It's amazing."

Giggs has helped himself by maintaining a strict training regime, including regular yoga sessions to maintain suppleness in previously troublesome hamstrings, and has been fortunate to avoid major injuries.

"I know it's mid-season now and it all depends on what Ryan thinks about his future, too," Ferguson added.

I do love the Boxing Day calender. Even if Spurs aren't on it. Chelsea/Fulham is the early game today. Team news is on its way...

• Admin

:lol:

Chelsea: Cech, Bosingwa, Luiz, Terry, Cole, Meireles, Romeu, Lampard, Sturridge, Torres, Mata.

Subs: Turnbull, Drogba, Malouda, Lukaku, Ferreira, McEachran, Kalou.

Fulham: Stockdale, Kelly, Hangeland, Senderos, John Arne Riise, Dempsey, Murphy, Frei, Dembele, Orlando Sa, Ruiz.

Subs: Etheridge, Sidwell, Baird, Kasami, Hughes, Etuhu, Briggs.

Referee: Kevin Friend (Leicestershire)

No Zamora OR Johnson in the squad for Fulham. Torres starting over Drogba for Chelsea.

No chance, they're in my acca so it'll be a draw. Hope you're right though, I'm the only person in my fantasy league who chose not to bring Van Persie in, placing my faith in Dan '40 goals a season' Sturridge to make the difference.