The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

The England job would eat Roy Hodgson up and spit him out. It has done it to better managers like Capello and Sven. His negative style won't fly. I think his failure at Liverpool in general will e repeated with England.

I barely care about England at all but if Woy does get it, I really want us to win just so all the Scouse fans shut up.

I don't see why?

Even if he's successful with England it doesn't change the fact that he was a complete and utter failure as Liverpool manager. Look at how far McLeish has dragged Villa down this season, exactly the same thing was going to happen to us under Roy. Results started badly and got worse, the fans had stopped turning up, he was alienating our better players, the football we were playing was awful and in the end the new owners couldn't even take the gamble of letting him struggle on until the end of the season in case he took us down.

Have to agree. Some managers just don't fit with certain clubs, and Roy just wasn't good at Liverpool at all. He's done a fine, fine job this year, far better than Kenny has with 'Pool, but it doesn't change the fact he was rubbish in scouseland.

He's a good manager when he can work away with little to no pressure, and the only real thing he has to worry about is not getting relegated. Working from that base, he'll overachieve every time.

Turn the pressure up though and he can turn into an incredibly nasty piece of work - if we struggle in our opening couple of group games I wouldn't be surprised to see him blaming the fans, the players, the press - everything and everyone but himself, basically.

Very few managers blame themselves. That is kinda how these things work.

Roy is the only manager I've ever heard who has gone out of his way to belittle so many different people when things started going tits up. He had a moan at foreign journalists, young players like Pacheco and Shelvey, the fans (and this was before anyone had really turned on him).

I get that as a Fulham fan you're not going to accept a bad word about him, that's fine, but Liverpool fans certainly aren't alone in not rating/liking Hodgson.

I don't like Liverpool fans for the most part either, same for United, but that's more because the types I have encountered seem to be cunts who go on and on about achieving this and that and blah blah blah.

And boxxy my dear, I wasn't petitioning for Hodges to get the job with my post, I'd rather he just stay at West Brom and let Pearce (or Harry) take us to the Euro's. All I want is for us to build up a new squad of future stars, not have people clamour for Crouch* to be included because he scored a goal at the weekend.

*Player chosen at random >_>.

I barely care about England at all but if Woy does get it, I really want us to win just so all the Scouse fans shut up.

I don't see why?

Even if he's successful with England it doesn't change the fact that he was a complete and utter failure as Liverpool manager. Look at how far McLeish has dragged Villa down this season, exactly the same thing was going to happen to us under Roy. Results started badly and got worse, the fans had stopped turning up, he was alienating our better players, the football we were playing was awful and in the end the new owners couldn't even take the gamble of letting him struggle on until the end of the season in case he took us down.

Have to agree. Some managers just don't fit with certain clubs, and Roy just wasn't good at Liverpool at all. He's done a fine, fine job this year, far better than Kenny has with 'Pool, but it doesn't change the fact he was rubbish in scouseland.

He's a good manager when he can work away with little to no pressure, and the only real thing he has to worry about is not getting relegated. Working from that base, he'll overachieve every time.

Turn the pressure up though and he can turn into an incredibly nasty piece of work - if we struggle in our opening couple of group games I wouldn't be surprised to see him blaming the fans, the players, the press - everything and everyone but himself, basically.

Very few managers blame themselves. That is kinda how these things work.

Roy is the only manager I've ever heard who has gone out of his way to belittle so many different people when things started going tits up. He had a moan at foreign journalists, young players like Pacheco and Shelvey, the fans (and this was before anyone had really turned on him).

I get that as a Fulham fan you're not going to accept a bad word about him, that's fine, but Liverpool fans certainly aren't alone in not rating/liking Hodgson.

He left us when he said he was going to stay, so I don't like him as much as you suggest.

My biggest issue is that, irrelevant of how you view it, he seemingly turned into a scapegoat for Liverpool fans during a time when every man and his dog thought that Liverpool were a team on the slide anyway.

I know you'll hit me with all the stats proving that Liverpool actually weren't that bad when Hodgson joined them, but most people thought very little of the team they had become at the back end of the season before, and it seemed the easy way out for Liverpool fans to blame Hodgson, even if he wasn't doing the best job. I would argue that it was as much about Liverpool fans reaction to Hodgson then it was people believing he was legitimately doing a good job.

• Like 1

I don't like Liverpool fans for the most part either, same for United, but that's more because the types I have encountered seem to be cunts who go on and on about achieving this and that and blah blah blah.

And boxxy my dear, I wasn't petitioning for Hodges to get the job with my post, I'd rather he just stay at West Brom and let Pearce (or Harry) take us to the Euro's. All I want is for us to build up a new squad of future stars, not have people clamour for Crouch* to be included because he scored a goal at the weekend.

I want this too, hence why I'm not too crazy about Redknapp. I remember reading those articles he did in The Sun in which he basically kept saying that the likes of Lampard and Gerrard "had to play if fit, no matter what".

But I do want Crouch to go to the Euros. I'm really struggling to see a valid argument against him being in the squad.

I want this too, hence why I'm not too crazy about Redknapp. I remember reading those articles he did in The Sun in which he basically kept saying that the likes of Lampard and Gerrard "had to play if fit, no matter what".

But I do want Crouch to go to the Euros. I'm really struggling to see a valid argument against him being in the squad.

The only argument you need is: Moses. - Fuck, forgot he got capped for Nigeria the motherfucker. I'll try again later :P.

Edited by Devil In Jouzy City

If it's a choice between Stuart Pearce and Roy Hodgson, I'd rather take Roy. But in all honesty, I don't fancy our chances with Roy. I can't think of anyone I'd want - at least with Harry he has a sense of what could be perceived as ambition and fire to win. Harry, to me, would take a risk if we need it. I don't feel like that with Roy.

My thinking has always been that we might as well let Pearce take a team to the Euros and then let the new manager start fresh with the World Cup qualifers. We've got fuck all chance in the Euros and putting a new guy in charge is only going to effect them negatively and turn the fans and the press against them straight away.

When it comes to Hodgson and Liverpool it isn't so much that he did a poor job and is disliked for it. As boxy points out he didn't cover himself in glory by how he acted or how he treated the players.

He left us when he said he was going to stay, so I don't like him as much as you suggest.

My biggest issue is that, irrelevant of how you view it, he seemingly turned into a scapegoat for Liverpool fans during a time when every man and his dog thought that Liverpool were a team on the slide anyway.

I know you'll hit me with all the stats proving that Liverpool actually weren't that bad when Hodgson joined them, but most people thought very little of the team they had become at the back end of the season before, and it seemed the easy way out for Liverpool fans to blame Hodgson, even if he wasn't doing the best job. I would argue that it was as much about Liverpool fans reaction to Hodgson then it was people believing he was legitimately doing a good job.

Not everybody thought Liverpool were a team on the slide, that's certainly not the case. The media line was that we'd finished 7th because a 'cold' and 'detached' Benitez had alienated the dressing room, and that what we needed was a motivator like Roy to come in and steady the ship, put an arm around the players, and get them performing to the level they should be. As you said yourself:

I legitimately can't see why Liverpool fans are complaining about Hodgson. Who could you have got otherwise?

Hodgson isn't as high profile as some, but the guy has a wealth of experience, with some good teams. They need someone to steady the ship as much as anything else, and man management wise, he could probably get more out of some of your players than was apparent last season.

>_>

That was clearly rubbish, his man management basically consisted of letting Stevie G play in a two man midfield and giving an ageing, error ridden Carragher a new bumper contract. He was bought in because Purslow and those two wanted to make the club more 'British', and we've seen where that got us.

One of the earliest issues with Hodgson though, and this isn't his fault, was that his friends in the press - particularly the Sunday Supplement gobshites - ended up bashing Rafa at every opportunity, firstly to show how good a job Roy would do, then to absolve him of any blame when it didn't quite work out. Benitez was, and still is, massively liked a respected by most Liverpool fans, the majority don't think he should have been sacked in the first place, and a lot of those who did think it was time for him to go still had plenty of time for him. Roy suffered because we were consistently being told that the manager we liked was shit, whereas the new guy - loveable Englishman Roy - was going to be brilliant and make that Spaniard look like a twat.

He wasn't entirely to blame for what was happening with us at that time, but at first the fans generally understood that. Then he started chucking blame around, came out with some awful quotes - refusing to defend Torres, describing Northampton as 'formidable opponents', saying that a draw at Goodison Park would have been 'utopia' etc. - which is when people turned on him. The results were awful, we were staring a relegation battle in the face, but what really did it for Roy was how he behaved.

I'd have to disagree, it just seems like a missed oppertunity to give the new manager tournament experience. Giving Pearce the job for the summer will damage all the players credibility because it's basically the FA's way of saying we don't believe we have a shot of winning - and they're going to protect a future manager by letting them avoid the backlack of an exit. Give the new manager the tourament and see how he copes - if it's shit, then maybe he'll learn something for the world cup in two years time.

it is always amusing how you English fans seem to veer between "WAHEY WE'RE GONNA BEAT ALL THESE JOHNNY FOREIGNERS AT THE GAME WE INVENTED" and "WE'RE DOOMED WE'RE SO SHIT" with very few people displaying any reasonable expectations.

It is always amusing how many people suggest things like this, especially on a forum where there is nothing but reasonable expectations, pretty much.

• Like 5