The 2011/12 Gary Speed Memorial Thread

Lineker

I dunno if this should be posted in here or the Euro thread but.

West Bromwich Albion have today granted permission for The FA to speak with Roy Hodgson regarding the position of England Manager.

This follows an approach from FA Chairman David Bernstein to West Bromwich Albion Chairman Jeremy Peace.

David Bernstein said: "I'm grateful to Jeremy and all at West Bromwich Albion for their co-operation in allowing us to approach Roy, who I have since spoken with.

"Roy is the only manager we have approached and we remain on course to make an appointment within the timescale we set-out soon after Fabio Capello's departure.

"Further conversations will now take place with Roy and my Club England colleagues before any further announcements can be made."

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/NewsAndFeatures/2012/statement-roy-hodgson-300412.aspx

Carlton Cole has a chance to have an England career now after hearing the news that Hodgson might get the job.

I barely care about England at all but if Woy does get it, I really want us to win just so all the Scouse fans shut up.

I don't see why?

Even if he's successful with England it doesn't change the fact that he was a complete and utter failure as Liverpool manager. Look at how far McLeish has dragged Villa down this season, exactly the same thing was going to happen to us under Roy. Results started badly and got worse, the fans had stopped turning up, he was alienating our better players, the football we were playing was awful and in the end the new owners couldn't even take the gamble of letting him struggle on until the end of the season in case he took us down.

I feel sorry for Roy Hodgson already. He's not going to provide lots of bon mots for the journalists in the manner of Harry Redknapp, so they're just going to bully him relentlessly. Roy Hodgson knows his stuff and has a good track record but I imagine any eventual appointment will be a bit anti-climactic for the newspapers, especially as they've had so long to get themselves worked up about it.

If I was Roy Hodgson I wouldn't take the job. He's got a good thing going at West Brom.

I barely care about England at all but if Woy does get it, I really want us to win just so all the Scouse fans shut up.

Its not just Liverpool fans who think the idea of Hodgson as England manager isn't exactly the best of ideas though. I think he's a good manager for teams like WBA but England manager? Nahhh

I don't see why?

Even if he's successful with England it doesn't change the fact that he was a complete and utter failure as Liverpool manager. Look at how far McLeish has dragged Villa down this season, exactly the same thing was going to happen to us under Roy. Results started badly and got worse, the fans had stopped turning up, he was alienating our better players, the football we were playing was awful and in the end the new owners couldn't even take the gamble of letting him struggle on until the end of the season in case he took us down.

Have to agree. Some managers just don't fit with certain clubs, and Roy just wasn't good at Liverpool at all. He's done a fine, fine job this year, far better than Kenny has with 'Pool, but it doesn't change the fact he was rubbish in scouseland.

I don't see why?

Have to agree. Some managers just don't fit with certain clubs, and Roy just wasn't good at Liverpool at all. He's done a fine, fine job this year, far better than Kenny has with 'Pool, but it doesn't change the fact he was rubbish in scouseland.

He's a good manager when he can work away with little to no pressure, and the only real thing he has to worry about is not getting relegated. Working from that base, he'll overachieve every time.

Turn the pressure up though and he can turn into an incredibly nasty piece of work - if we struggle in our opening couple of group games I wouldn't be surprised to see him blaming the fans, the players, the press - everything and everyone but himself, basically.

I don't see why?

He's a good manager when he can work away with little to no pressure, and the only real thing he has to worry about is not getting relegated. Working from that base, he'll overachieve every time.

Turn the pressure up though and he can turn into an incredibly nasty piece of work - if we struggle in our opening couple of group games I wouldn't be surprised to see him blaming the fans, the players, the press - everything and everyone but himself, basically.

Very few managers blame themselves. That is kinda how these things work.

It isn't a case of shutting them up,the majority of people just don't like Liverpool and/or their fans.

What have I ever done to you :crying: