General Movie Thread

Jimmy

23 hours ago, GA! said:

Question mainly for @Jimmy and @LarsLars, as my favourite non-Cuban film guys, asked here because Jimmy's inbox is full last time I checked. :P

Let's say I wanted to get back into reviewing films again after a year off, but I don't really know where to start... Are there any themes or certain types of stuff I should write about or would interest you, if only as a start before I go on an aimless 'review any old shit' spree?

You mean like you would like to watch a certain film theme? or to write in a certain theme? I would be interested in just another review from you! 

If you're looking for themes, I;m watching these films this year for sure: https://letterboxd.com/larziej/list/the-film-school-drop-outs-weekly-challenge/

2 hours ago, LarsLars said:

That is my theme, meander about aimlessly. If I understand the word Meander right. Maybe you can dig some more onto Hong Kong Action films? Foreign film? Akira Kurosawa? 70/80's Neo Crime films? 

Probably! It's more natural for critics to watch random films, but I tend to like a clear direction with my projectsw. I burned out with Film Scratches as I spent most of my time trying to decide what the hell to review next. :P

• Like 1

It won’t be long before Kong is upon us. Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros. Pictures are preparing to unleash Jordan Vogt-Roberts‘ new take on cinema’s “Eighth Wonder of the World” with Kong: Skull Island. CS recently attended the press junket for the new film in Downtown Los Angeles where the studio had on display 50 Skull Island photos, said to be taken by Brie Larson’s character, anti-war photographer Mason Weaver.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/features/817585-skull-island-photos#/slide/47

http://lifehacker.com/all-the-best-movies-coming-to-and-leaving-netflix-in-ma-1792673812

Jurassic Park :w00t: Blazing Saddles :w00t: Friday After Next :w00t: THIS IS SPINAL TAP :w00t:

Jaws :( Animal House :( Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey :(

Jurassic Park :w00t:!

3 hours ago, Cloudy said:

http://lifehacker.com/all-the-best-movies-coming-to-and-leaving-netflix-in-ma-1792673812

Jurassic Park :w00t: Blazing Saddles :w00t: Friday After Next :w00t: THIS IS SPINAL TAP :w00t:

Jaws :( Animal House :( Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey :(

Jurassic Park :w00t:!

Jaws is on TV pretty much every day.  It's always showing somewhere

9 hours ago, Arjen Robben said:

Between this and hearing him on the Nerdist yesterday, I am intrigued.

Still at 100% after 100 reviews. Only two others films have retained their 100% fresh status with more - Toy Story 2 (163) and Man on Wire (154).

On 25/02/2017 at 09:35, GoGo Yubari said:

Reminder: Monday is the day after the Oscars, so voting for EWB's Favorite Movie 2016 will open then. So be prepared!

I wonder which film I will debate the release date rule on this year? 

On 16/02/2017 at 11:27, Jimmy said:

Shut it you tart. 

But for real, you should totally go and see it, it's absolutely incredible. He does come across really well, but don't be fooled, he likes his pretentious films just like the rest of us :shifty:

I actually got around to watching Moonlight and I thought it was just amazing. Leaving the story and acting aside, as great as it is, the music and cinematography was really lovely and I enjoyed that the most. Slightly disappointed that Mahershala Ali wasn't in it as much as I thought but the film wasn't about him I guess. And I'm glad I had no idea about the gay love angle because that would have ruined the little twist for me because I thought it was just about a young lad growing up in bad circumstances. Did it deserve an Oscar? I dunno, I think the Oscars are a load of shit but this film deserves its praise.

• Like 1

I can't fucking believe they Dusty Finished the Oscars. That was amazing and I wish I could have been watching live to see my twitter feed react in real time to that.

Moonlight 100% deserved that Best Picture. I think Barry Jenkins should have got Best Director too, but giving it to Chazelle is fine because it's really the directing and cinematography that makes La La Land.

• Like 2