General Movie Thread

Jimmy

Just saw This Is The End. Funny movie but it didn't really sustain itself over the entirety. Tons of great ideas, but I think it was strongest during the party and the immediate aftermath. Looking forward to probably a ton of deleted scenes from that in the future.

Also;

I was surprised Paul Rudd didn't show up again since he didn't seem to die at the party.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that this isn't getting a theatrical release. It looks pretty decent but the real puzzling part is the stars in it and still not getting a release.

Having seen the trailer for R.I.P.D. a moment ago, I can't believe that it isn't just the Men in Black script with some names and words changed. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it.

Also as an addendum to my This Is The End post, it's still the second-best movie I've seen this year. 2013 needs to step the fuck up.

Well out of my 21 so far, Man of Steel is my #1 at the moment and it's not even something that I particularly loved so I suppose I'd agree with you. Then again, the first half of the year isn't exactly known for quality movies.

Films I've seen so far this year...(some of them are 2012 releases that only came out in the UK later, i.e. Les Mis came out in January and Wreck-It Ralph in bloody February!).

Gangster Squad was decent fun.

Oz The Great and Powerful was very blah.

The Croods was inoffensive in a vaguely decent sort of way.

The Host destroyed several key sections of my brain's grey matter.

Iron Man 3 was good.

Star Trek Into Darkness was good...albeit a little too homage-y.

The Great Gatsby had a lot of problems but for some reason I recall it quite fondly after several weeks have passed.

Epic was little more than an unremarkably average kids' film. Didn't surprise me like Rise of the Guardians did.

After Earth was shockingly terrible.

Man of Steel was okay. Though when I thought back on it during the middle of watching After Earth it seemed better by comparison,

Les Miserables is one of those ones where I have to acknowledge it's good but it's not the type of film I'd watch twice.

Wreck-It Ralph suffered from my expectations a little, but I can't deny the good fun it brought.

Yeah. Not sure about my #1 so far but it's probably either Iron Man 3 or Wreck-It Ralph.

I can't even think of ten movies that have been released theatrically this year that I would want to sit through, let alone 21.

Well I've only actually gone to Man of Steel, everything else has been by the Blackbeard method.

As far as disappointments, even though overall I liked it, I've probably been most disappointed by The Place Beyond the Pines.

I might end up going to that. Maybe next weekend. I've been to the movies twice this week so I can do with a break from smuggling Five Guys into the theater.

There were seriously zero decent movies playing from January to April. I went maybe twice during that period. Anyway, here's what I've seen in theaters this year.

Texas Chainsaw 3-D - God-awful

Burt Wonderstone - Mediocre

Place Beyond the Pines - Well, I thought it was great.

Oblivion - Meh

Iron Man 3 - Good, but could've been better

Mud - Really good, although the ending felt like a cop out.

Pain and Gain - Decent. Michael Bay is actually a benefit here.

Hangover Part 3 - Such lack of effort

The Purge - Mediocre

This is the End - Funniest movie I've seen so far this year

Man of Steel - I thought it was great. Not perfect by any means, but it's probably my second or third favorite movie this year.

Will be seeing Monster's University this weekend. I almost went to The Internship today, but I didn't want to waste my money. I also still want to see Gatsby, but I'm waiting for it to go to the reduced price theater.