General Movie Thread

Jimmy

The only one that seems incredibly suspect is Assasin's Creed In regards to actually coming out in the year 2015. Then again I sincerely doubt that there'll be another Fantastic Four movie by then too. There's way too many superhero movies already coming out that year.

Fantastic Four has been getting ready to go for a while now. It's one of the one's I don't have any doubts will come out, short of something happening now to stop it. Assassins Creed seems unlikely it'll actually happen if I'm honest... and I can see at least one or two of Terminator, Jurassic Park and Independence Day 2 being pushed back. Maybe Pirates 5 too? And I'm praying they don't try and get a Justice League film together in two years.

I would imagine Pirates 5 is also a pretty safe bet, since they seem to be going forward with stuff on that (they just hired the directors a couple weeks ago). I'd also say Assasin's Creed is going to happen but maybe not in 2015, considering they're doing the same (just lined up a couple of producers for it), just at a slightly slower pace.

Man of Steel 2 isn't coming out next year so the idea of Justice League happening by 2015 is still pretty dumb, to be honest.

I really hope 5 bombs horribly so they can let that franchise die. Pirates 4 just felt so pointless, I couldn't care at all.

Not to mention nearly the entire point of the original trilogy was "HEY, PIRATES ARE ON THEIR WAY OUT, BUT THEY AREN'T GOING WITHOUT A FIGHT!"

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand nothing comes of it, thanks to the fourth.

They really need to put Depp on the back lines (is that a thing? FOOTBALLS) for the next one and let a new protagonist take the spotlight. The less is more approach definitely applies to Jack Sparrow.

Maybe they could write some characters for this next one too, instead of casting pretty people to just say things that move the plot along.

Well, ignoring the fact that there's no way that they would shelve Depp in favor of someone else, I do think that Sparrow is probably the only redeeming part of the franchise at this point so I wouldn't really be on board with that. The story just needs to have a purpose other than "hey guys, Johnny Depp doing wacky things!"

I always found the setting and the lore more interesting than any of the characters, really. That's why I liked Dead Mans Chest and a lot of parts of At Worlds End, seeing all the other bits of this world like the Pirate Kings and so on. It's why I was so disappointed by 4, because it didn't even have anything interesting in regards to that. Just Johnny Depp being wacky for three hours.

Well there's definitely some interesting things to be had in everything else but I'm just not sure how fun a Pirates film would be without him. Just imagine the first three without him and they're fairly bland pirate movies. Like I said, he's not the issue with the last movie, it's the fact that they thought that he was the only thing needed to make a remotely interesting movie.