General Movie Thread

Jimmy

Will Smith won't be in Independence Day 2.

Hopefully leading to more Jeff Goldblum than you can shake a stick at.

Yep called this a few pages back. Too expensive apparently. Pretty stupid reasoning considering he is one of the most profitable movie stars today.

I'm gonna be honest here. Though, I didn't find it terrible, I probably won't be seeing the other movies in the theaters unless I can go for free like I did this time. The whole movie felt very disjointed and incomplete and I really didn't like that at all. I get that it's trying to set up a trilogy, but it is not okay to make me pay for 3/4 of a movie just because you want to set up two more after it. A movie should work stand-alone even as part of a series.

There have been reports that the last 30 or 40 minutes were completely scrapped and Damon Lindeloff was brought in to re-write the movie but because of Star Trek commitments he had to farm out the third act to somebody else. I will admit, I liked the movie okay...but it wasn't the best thing ever. It was an okay movie...but everything felt like there was something missing.

I'm honestly shocked it made 66 million because I hadn't seen a single person who was even remotely excited to see it. All the comments I saw on Facebook on it basically boiled down to "so apparently this actually doesn't suck, anyone want to see it?"

I'm gonna be honest here. Though, I didn't find it terrible, I probably won't be seeing the other movies in the theaters unless I can go for free like I did this time. The whole movie felt very disjointed and incomplete and I really didn't like that at all. I get that it's trying to set up a trilogy, but it is not okay to make me pay for 3/4 of a movie just because you want to set up two more after it. A movie should work stand-alone even as part of a series.

There have been reports that the last 30 or 40 minutes were completely scrapped and Damon Lindeloff was brought in to re-write the movie but because of Star Trek commitments he had to farm out the third act to somebody else. I will admit, I liked the movie okay...but it wasn't the best thing ever. It was an okay movie...but everything felt like there was something missing.

Yes, I am well aware of said thing. And the fact is, it shows. The movie seems to be leading to something completely different than what you see at the end. There's two completely different tones in the first and second halves. And, unfortunately, it seems that they weren't able to piece it together as smoothly as they wanted to. So, a lot of it feels just a tad bit off. And characters are cut off before they can make an impact.

I think a good example of this is Matthew Fox being in the film. It's fucking MATTHEW FOX, the lead in Lost. He's too big a star to get credited as just "Parajumper" with two short scenes, 2 short lines of dialogue, and no real close-ups. It was almost a blink and you miss him part. Something tells me there was supposed to be more to that character.

I'm honestly shocked it made 66 million because I hadn't seen a single person who was even remotely excited to see it. All the comments I saw on Facebook on it basically boiled down to "so apparently this actually doesn't suck, anyone want to see it?"

Yeah. I think the best way to put it is, "It didn't suck."

Since being on Lost (one of the biggest shows of ever whether you choose to like it or not) he has been in Smokin' Aces, We Are Marshall, Vantage Point, Speed Racer, Emperor, Alex Cross, and World War Z.

All of them, except Smokin' Aces were pretty meaty roles. Why? Because of the fact that he was on a huge TV show like Lost.

Either way, if you take what I said, you'll notice it isn't so much that I was referring to him being a star, but, rather, that he was too big a star to play such a tiny role.

I got what you meant and i agree he is a star on TV (for the record i love Lost) but he hasn't exactly set the world alight in the movie world as in main roles wise.

He should be bigger than he is though.

I didn't even believe it was him at first. My wife kept telling me "That was Matthew Fox" and I didn't believe it because there was no close up of him and he wasn't listed in the opening credits and didn't realize it was him until I heard his voice clearly and kept waiting for him to do something and he just never re-appeared.

Oh man, when you mentioned Cormac I had to check that trailer out. It doesn't look like anything, though. It could be good, could be bad, literally cannot tell except for gauging by people's reputations, which doesn't really mean anything. Hope it's good because I'm a huge McCarthy fan.

Also, I'm a huge fan of Cameron Diaz's butt when she's climbing on that car. But I'm guessing that's not going to get mentioned in the credits.

Yeah, the trailer doesn't really show a whole lot and oddly enough concentrates mostly on Pitt even though Fassbender is the lead. But yeah, it's McCarthy's first original screenplay so I've been looking forward to it for awhile.