General Movie Thread

Jimmy

I took the wife to see Grown Ups 2 today. It was just a good, old-fashioned Adam Sandler comedy with a bunch of physical humor and a few winks and nods to the audiences. Plus, as somebody who crew up on the early 90s SNL cast, it was cool seeing all those people on screen again.

You are part of the problem.

Looks like they tried a little hard to make it feature action. If The Social Network sold without VIOLENCE and GUNS I don't see why this wouldn't have.

Also, 12 Years A Slave looks incredible. I love Fassbender, can't wait to see that.

Yeah, that's definitely up their with my most anticipated films, with Steve McQueen's current track record; I think Hunger, especially, is a fucking fantastic. incredible cast, that. I'm hoping we get Paul Dano back on There Will Be Blood form.

Yeah. Hunger was good. Too bad Shame was pretty god damn awful. Other than Fassbender's performance, that movie was pretty bad.

Hopefully 12 Years a Slave will be better. It certainly looks better by the trailer.

You think? I really, really liked Shame - but I watched it a day after I watched Hunger and Hunger definitely overshadowed it. But, then again, I thought Hunger was incredible, like one of my favourite films in the last 5 years or so.

Mulligan was also excellent in Shame, as was the direction & cinematography. What didn't you like about it?

Let me see if I can remember everything I hated about it. I tend to push bad movies out of my head as fast as possible cause I don't want them clogging up the good stuff. So here goes.

I didn't like Mulligan at all. I feel like she phoned it in. I thought the camerawork was a little hokey and a lot of stuff should've been edited down. I mean, that whole Mulligan singing off-key for FOREEEEEEEVER scene? Unnecessarily bad and long. Gratuitous dick shots of Michael Fassbender in an attempt to be edgy? Lame. Served no purpose showing it that much. I could've lived the rest of my life without seeing Fassbender go to the bathroom and take a full piss. The movie is basically just two acts without a proper third. The borderline incestuous relationship between Fassbender and Mulligan is just confusing cause it doesn't go anywhere.

I can probably come up with more, but I was incredibly disappointed.

No the screen just fades to black in the middle of a scene.

And I go to Cineworld, I can get there within 15 minutes on my bike. And I'm used to it, never been to a cinema were there are no intermissions.

But to get to the point, HOLY HELL. FUCK, SO FAR MY MOVIE OF THE YEAR. Already pre-ordered the dvd. My friends didn't want to see it because well, I texted them and now they all want to go and see it. Good for them. Hopefully this film will be number 1 on the EWB 2013 movie list.

Rated it 5 fucking stars on Letterboxd.