General Movie Thread

Jimmy

I don't care for Being John Malkovich that much, which is amazing given my general love for Spike Jonze and especially Charlie Kaufman. Adaptation is fantastic.

Has anyone seen Blackfish yet? I really wanted to see it then I saw it had a 98% on Rotten Tomatoes and then I really really wanted to see it and I just finished listening to an interesting interview on NPR with a contributor to the film and former Sea World killer whale trainer and now I really really really want to see it.

There's the trailer.

Belated Media finished his What If of Star Wars: Episode II! It's pretty fun. I'd say Anakin doesn't feel like he has a large enough role, though. A whole lot of set up is great, but I'd expect a little more of a turn towards the dark side by now.

• Like 1

I'm actually seeing it tonight.

Lucky! Report back. With political documentaries like this that are clearly leaning towards one side of the issue (not that I think there's really much of an actual argument to keeping the killer whales captivate beyond "it makes money" and "people like seeing them" considering Sea World doesn't do any sort of rehab and release program for killer whales), I'm generally fairly wary going in, but this one interests me a lot.

Watching Pain and Gain! Pretty fun film (it's exactly what you think it is)... and then The Rock shows up and it goes from dumb fun to fucking great fun.

Michael Bay can still make a fucking good dumb fun film when it's not a based on an existing franchise.

• Like 1

Again with the Transformers hate :P

It's two warring sides of robots fighting each other. Take away the stupid racist robots in number 2 and the big testicles on the Constructicon (from memory) thats ll it was and all it needed to be. Why did people expect The Godfather-style of movie?

Sorry it just gets my feckles up sometimes :P

Please don't. Most people don't like the Transformers franchise so just accept that and move on. Like I've said a few times, I don't hate it as much everybody else but it's hardly difficult to see why a lot wouldn't like them.

Please don't. Most people don't like the Transformers franchise so just accept that and move on. Like I've said a few times, I don't hate it as much everybody else but it's hardly difficult to see why a lot wouldn't like them.

Oh no doubt i can get why people hate it. But at the same time, a Michael Bay film is a Michael Bay film. You are only going to get one kind of movie with him and its his kind of movie that was expected and, despite the less than stellar critical reaction, it/he did what was expected of him.

Because you can still make good films about robots fighting each other. That's what I expected. I don't see why fun & good can't be one and the same.

To be fair, as Ant said, I'm not really sure why you'd expect that from Michael Bay.

And nobody said that they can't be but that doesn't mean that they all have to be both to be worthwhile, either.

Again with the Transformers hate :P

It's two warring sides of robots fighting each other. Take away the stupid racist robots in number 2 and the big testicles on the Constructicon (from memory) thats ll it was and all it needed to be. Why did people expect The Godfather-style of movie?

Sorry it just gets my feckles up sometimes :P

You might want to leave the internet, then.

We don't take kindly to that film franchise around here.

Eh, personally I didn't enjoy the film because I could care less about the toys as a kid and so I didn't even have the "Hey, this is cool" factor. I just flat out didn't find anything to like about it.

But let's just not bother with this crap again and talk about how much fun Michael Bay films can be when he's just being fucking ridiculous and over the top in his own films. I'm loving Pain and Gain so far and The Rock has always been great. I've gotta be honest, I still love Armageddon too. Cheesiest god damn film in the world, but fuck if it isn't a ton of fun too.