Euro 2012

Lineker

No room for Capoue in their squad shows just how much depth they have in their team. Quality player and would probably start for England in midfield for the Euro's if he was English (and played for the correct club of course)..

Micah Richards is the best right back England have. !

No he isn't.

He's massively overrated because he's powerful and quick, which are the two commodities British football values over everything else. He's a thoroughly average right back.

Various reports that Joe Cole will be in the squad. Forgot about him. Hear he's doing well in France. Apparently Chamberlain will be there too.

Saw someone write this into Football365 the other day, thought it was fantastic;

Guide To Criticising Hodgson's Squad Selection

Captain: if someone who has been captain before, "predictable". If not, "wrong".

Average age of squad over 26: too old, over-reliance on the failed so-called "golden generation".

Average age of squad under 26: inexperienced/ruining our chances for the Olympics (I forget whether we care about this or not).

Goalkeepers:

Joe Hart: obvious choice and deserves no credit.

Rob Green: plays for a championship club. Only selected due to failure to persuade anyone else out of retirement, ergo poor man-management.

Ben Foster: nepotism.

Right back:

Failure to take all of Micah Richards, Glen Johnson, Kyle Walker, Phil Jones and Chris Smalling constitutes a decision, and therefore automatically a risky/wrong one.

Left back:

Ashley Cole: obvious, deserves no credit.

If a back-up is selected: unnecessary, waste of a squad place (cf. Stephen Warnock). If not: short-sighted.

Centre back:

Failure to persuade Rio and Terry to play together is poor man-management. Success is "too risky".

Central Midfield:

Gerrard: make reference to Hodgson's time at Liverpool and cast doubt on ability to get a performance out of him.

Lampard: too similar to Gerrard. If not picked, make unflattering AVB comparisons.

Scott Parker: would certainly perform better if 'Arry was manager

Carrick/Barry: boring.

Scholes: if picked, desperate. If not picked, a missed opportunity

Anyone else: an unknown quantity.

Wings:

Joe Cole: if not picked, point out that he has been playing brilliantly in France. If picked, point out that he has been rubbish in France. No-one will bother to check either way.

Ashley Young: if picked, diver that will not fool continental referees, therefore a waste of space. If not picked, point to past goalscoring form and ability to win penalties.

Adam Johnson: if picked, has hardly played for Man City this season. If not picked, has hardly played for Man City this season and would have bought much-needed freshness to the squad.

Walcott: if picked, has only ever performed that one time against Croatia. If not picked, performed that one time against Croatia.

Stewart Downing: if picked, 0 goals 0 assists.

Edited by Gooner27
  • Like 6

Micah Richards is the best right back England have. !

No he isn't.

He's massively overrated because he's powerful and quick, which are the two commodities British football values over everything else. He's a thoroughly average right back.

I think he's better than Johnson, but not as good as Walker. Smalling and Jones have shown glimpses of ability but would be too much of a gamble being out of position

I rate Richards top at the moment to be honest, I rate Walker but Richards just edges it defensively for me. Johnsons useless. Why either of the first two would be out barring injury is beyond me.

That articles spot on, tempted to buy a shit tabloid Thursday just to tick them all off.

Johnson is class.

There's genuinely something wrong with people that don't rate him. He's miles ahead of any other British right back going forward, and the criticism that's levelled at him for being 'poor defensively' is the same shit that players like Alves or Marcelo get, and it's largely because British football still thinks fullbacks should 'just defend' and try not cross the halfway line too much.

This isn't Liverpool bias, by the way. I'll happily admit that a number of our players are useless, and that Gerrard/Downing shouldn't be anywhere near the squad tomorrow (although they'll both be in it), but Johnson is an excellent footballer.

Then why hasn't he had the season of Walker or Richards? This isn't sarcasm, genuine question.

You've watched Liverpool play this season, right?

Stick either of Walker or Richards at right back for us this season and there'd be no clamour for them to be in the England squad whatsoever. Johnson is one of our few players to come out of this season with any credit. He, along with Suarez, Skrtel, Lucas and Agger, has been a class above the sea of shite they're surrounded by.

The problem is to get the best out of any attacking full back like Glen, you need a midfield that is smart, mobile, and can retain the ball. For the majority of this season he's played with Jay Spearing, Charlie Adam, a half-fit, half-arsed Steven Gerrard and Jordan Henderson. On top of that he's usually had Downing stinking up the place in front of him, and mis-firing strikers up front. Any fullback - I don't care how good they are - would have struggled with us this season.

Gerrard should be in the squad,

Based on what? He's been poor for the three seasons, has struggled with injuries, and Hodgson will insist on playing him as a central midfielder which will throw the balance of the entire team right off.

Gerrard will go based on reputation alone. If the squad was being picked on form he'd be way, way down the pecking order.

I do think it has a lot to do with Richards playing for City, but I rate him as second best right back behind Kyle Walker. Johnson just isn't on my radar purely because I don't watch many liverpool games to be able to discuss him. But I've never seen him put in performances like I've seen Richards do, and he's also a solid centre back when needs be.