Euro 2012

Lineker

But both, particularly Alves, play in a system to allows them to do so with possession and cover from the middle allowing them to do so. Alves practically plays as a winger and it works, we aren't going to do the same with England because the players aren't as good and there isn't time to gel the system. Johnson needs to be able to play as an orthodox full back, not an Alves, so the comparison doesn't really work.

Matt didn't say 'Johnson doesn't fit into England's system' (which I'd agree with, to a point), he said he can't defend, which is nonsense.

Fair enough, I just don't think 'he can defend as well as Alves' particularly supports that.

Again, not what I was saying, but fair enough.

It's hyperbole. He isn't as good as you are making him out to be, and he isn't as bad as we are saying he is.

Like the majority of the players we have, I'd argue he is fairly average.

And for an attacking defender, unless he has really improved in the last few months, he is incredibly hit and miss doing that.

Still three names left to go, one has to be a keeper.

Besides Eriksen and Agger, I don't see much hope for daneland. If they get a draw it'll be lucky, really.

I see us drawing them.

Weren't Denmark pretty decent in qualifying? Or were they just in a poor group? I didn't follow it all too well.

They were not bad, but we didn't have a coach for our first two matches in which we drew Cyprus at home (4-4) and lost to Norway away, and that pretty much screwed us out of winning the group.

Still three names left to go, one has to be a keeper.

Besides Eriksen and Agger, I don't see much hope for daneland. If they get a draw it'll be lucky, really.

I see us drawing them.

Weren't Denmark pretty decent in qualifying? Or were they just in a poor group? I didn't follow it all too well.

They were not bad, but we didn't have a coach for our first two matches in which we drew Cyprus at home (4-4) and lost to Norway away, and that pretty much screwed us out of winning the group.

Had to check where yr from then >_>. So what you're saying is that CR7 alone isn't going to be able to breeze past everyone?

I kid, but I think Portugal are average with a few players that are brilliant. As much as I hate Pepe and wish he was banned from football, he's a solid CB. I imagine that group will finish Holland, Germany, Portugal and then Denmark.

Yeah. I think if I were picking a squad and needed a back up keeper I would ask someone with a bit more experience, not that it matters unless all the keepers are involved in three separate unfortunate accdidents!

• Admin
Spain forward David Villa will miss Euro 2012 as he struggles to recover from a broken leg.

Villa, 30, fractured his tibia in December and told national coach Vicente del Bosque on Tuesday he will not be fit for the tournament.

He tweeted : "I've tried, but I can't be 100% to play the Eurocup. I called Del Bosque. It's the honest thing.

"Thanks to all of you for your support. I'll continue working to return as soon as possible with Barca and Spain."

Del Bosque, who names his final squad for the tournament on Sunday, had promised he would give Villa as long as possible to return to fitness.

A a statement from the Spanish FA said: "Villa spoke with the national team coach this afternoon [Tuesday], after the team arrived in Schruns, Austria (for a pre-tournament training camp).

"After not getting in the final practice and development desired, David Villa spoke with Del Bosque, who relayed that although it was Villa's wish to be with the team in Poland and Ukraine, that his physical state was 'not as good' as would be desirable."

Villa is Spain's record goalscorer, with 51 goals in 82 games.

Spain are also likely to be without veteran defender Carles Puyol, who is struggling with a knee injury, as they seek to defend the title they won in Vienna in 2008.

Spain won all eight of their qualifiers for Euro 2012 and are in Group C for the finals along with Italy, against who they play their opening game on June 10, Republic of Ireland and Croatia.

That videos probably quite accurates if it all kicks off like it's threatened to. Which it won't, but it's always nice to read stereotypical stories about how the European's can't wait to start a fight with the mighty Ingurland.

Anyone fancy doing an EWB sweepstake for this? Could do it either for a bit of fun with nothing attached to it, a prize that is board related (something I could arrange with RW or Kliq) or have people put in £2 each to give a first prize of £25 and £7 to the runner up (that may put some people off though).

I'm up for any suggestions though.

Could push the envelope and instead of the sweepstakes run the exciting predictions comp me and my mates have been doing since France 98. I can upload the form somehow, but basically you predict scores for all the group games, 5 points for a correct score, 3 for the right result. Then pick 4 semifinalists, the winner, and a top scorer for bonus points.

I'm happy to run it since I've already got a spreadsheet built, just for fun as I'm poor.