Euro 2012

Lineker

He's also doing a day of community service!

See he's a nice lad at heart our Wayne. (Y)

Apparently the third game of the suspension has been suspended for four years, meaning if he gets charged with violent conduct in a UEFA governed national team game then he'll get an extra game on top of any suspension.

The problem is, he'll miss the first two games and then be immediately rushed back in for the third one against Ukraine whereby every other player will completely stop doing what they were doing previously (regardless of whether or not it was working) and just get the ball to our 'talisman' for him to do something amazing with.

I don't like this decision at all, one because I can't believe it was actually reduced - even if it was suspended. It's violent conduct, and what's more is that he does this every week. Lashing out at Coloccini just the other week all the way back to stamping on Ricardo Carvalho, it's not a 'one-off' it's exactly who he is and it shouldn't be allowed. Reducing his ban is detriment to the whole point of trying to get rid of behaviour exactly like Rooney exhibits week-in and out.

Secondly, because like I mentioned before, it will mean we will play one way for the first two games and then when Rooney is back and immediately put back in the team, we'll have ten other men on the pitch all looking to him to do something special. If anything I think UEFA's decision to reduce the ban makes things harder for us, because now it's virtually impossible to leave him at home - because it's 'only two games', even if we only ended up playing three I guarantee he'll go and he'll play that third game.

And if he gets sent off at the Euro's. Well.

Agree with Ace entirely, and even though I've now mentioned him in two threads in a row I think Coloccini really helped him out with the handshake after his attempted booting. Had that blown up more than a daft Ben Arfa booking it could easily have influenced the decision.

The thing that just bemuses me is simply the fact that UEFA don't have set penalties anyway allowing this to be appealed. Premier League its a three match ban, no argument, fairly transparent. Here we've got a situation where a subjective decision is being appealed, English media are going 'typical anti English' if its upheld, Olof Mellberg (spelt right this time) is hoping it isn't, and everyone else is saying money talks when its reduced. Unnecessary fiasco for me.

But if Rooney comes back for the third game and bags a hat-trick then the decision to play him will be justified. He's quite capable of firing England to glory next summer, whether he will or not will remains to be seen, but the fact that he is probably the only English player who could potentially have such an impact is the reason why he'll start every England game when fit or not suspended.

I know he's public enemy #1, he's a dickhead and he does stupid shit on the pitch too often (playing for United certainly doesn't help either) but he's the best we have so we just have to deal with it.

I assume all of their group matches are actually in Poland as well then? I still cannot get over the spectacular dumbassery of that decision by England...it's as if Capello is readying the excuse for when we go out well in advances. We've had "it was the wags fault" and "they didn' have any time to relax!", so this time it's gonna be "well, they had to fly from Poland for every game!".

Not gonna complain about Rooney though. If it saves us from seeing England line-up with Bobby Zamora up front for a game I'm all for it [/baitingLiam] :shifty:

• Admin
England's group game against Sweden at Euro 2012 on 15 June will be shown live on the BBC, who will also have first pick of the quarter-finals.

ITV will show England's opening group game against France (11 June) and their final game against Ukraine (19 June).

The Republic of Ireland's last group game against Italy (18 June) will also be live on the BBC, who will show both semi-finals.

The final, in Kiev, on 1 July, will be shown live on both the BBC and ITV.

The BBC's matches will also be streamed live on the BBC Sport website and via the BBC mobile platform.

A daily highlights programme will be shown on each match day, while the BBC will have commentary on all games on BBC Radio 5 live or BBC 5 live sports extra.

Philip Bernie, BBC head of TV sport, said: "The BBC is delighted to be showing the Uefa European Football Championship, a huge football event, which, along with the London Olympics, should ensure a fantastic sporting summer for BBC viewers.

"We are very happy with the live matches on BBC One, as they give us a strong climax to the event, with both semi-finals, as well as England's quarter-final if they progress.

"We also have some very appetising group games, including England's second match, against Sweden, in peak time, Ireland's final match, against Italy, and heavyweight clashes between the Netherlands and Germany and Germany and Portugal."

ITV's controller of sport, Niall Sloane, said: "I'm delighted that ITV has secured an outstanding selection of games through the tournament, which includes England's opening game against France as well as a potential peak time group decider against hosts Ukraine.

"ITV1 will also be the home of some terrific clashes between the top teams in Europe including Spain v Ireland, Spain v Italy, Portugal v Holland and Ireland v Croatia."

Group games

8 June: Poland v Greece (BBC), Russia v Czech Republic (ITV)

9 June: Netherlands v Denmark (BBC), Germany v Portugal (BBC)

10 June: Spain v Italy (ITV), Republic of Ireland v Croatia (ITV)

11 June: France v England (ITV), Ukraine v Sweden (BBC)

12 June: Greece v Czech Republic (ITV), Poland v Russia (ITV)

13 June: Denmark v Portugal (ITV), Netherlands v Germany (BBC)

14 June: Italy v Croatia (BBC), Spain v Republic of Ireland (ITV)

15 June: Ukraine v France (ITV), Sweden v England (BBC)

16 June: Greece v Russia (BBC), Poland v Czech Republic (BBC)

17 June: Portugal v Netherlands (ITV), Denmark v Germany (ITV)

18 June: Croatia v Spain (BBC), Italy v Republic of Ireland (BBC)

19 June: Sweden v France (ITV), England v Ukraine (ITV)

Knock-out stages

Quarter-finals (21, 22, 23, 24 June) - BBC has first & fourth picks, ITV has second & third

Semi-finals (27 & 28 June) - BBC

Final (1 July) - BBC & ITV

• Admin
Englishman Howard Webb and Scotland's Craig Thomson have been selected by Uefa to officiate in Euro 2012.

Webb attracted criticism in the 2010 World Cup final when he booked 13 men and sent off Johnny Heitinga of the Netherlands in their defeat by Spain.

The 40-year-old Yorkshireman became a Fifa official in 2005, was the English referee at Euro 2008, and took charge of the 2010 Champions League final.

Paisley-born Thomson, 39, has been a Fifa referee since 2003.

Full list of referees for Euro 2012:

Cuneyt Cakır (Turkey), Jonas Eriksson (Sweden), Viktor Kassai (Hungary), Bjorn Kuipers (Netherlands), Stephane Lannoy (France), Pedro Proenca (Portugal), Nicola Rizzoli (Italy), Damir Skomina (Slovenia), Wolfgang Stark (Germany), Craig Thomson (Scotland), Carlos Velasco Carballo (Spain) Howard Webb (England).

The following four will act solely as fourth officials during the tournament:

Marcin Borski (Poland), Tom Harald Hagen (Norway), Pavel Kralovec (Czech Republic), Viktor Shvetsov (Ukraine).

• 2 months later...

I have my issues with Howard Webb and his officiating but his role in that brawl of a final isn't one of them. He could have - and probably should have - sent a hell of a lot more off from what I remember.

EDIT: Just noticed how old that post actually is. :shifty:

Erm

23?

GK: Hart, Stockdale, whoever hasn't retired

D: Richards, Lescott, Jagielka, Terry, Cole, Baines, Jones, Smalling

M: Carrick, Cleverley, Gerrard, Parker, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Young, Johnson

S: Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge, Walcott, Holt

Or something like that. Yes I didn't include Ferdinand, Cahill and Lampard. But I've probably forgot others as I'm rushed and at work. :shifty:

Edit 2: Starting line up would be something like;

Hart

Richards - Jagielka - Lescott - Cole

Parker - Carrick - Gerrard

Walcott - Sturridge - Welbeck/Johnson/Oxlade

Just 3 very fast bastards up front basically. Maybe even let them all interchange and play a bit out wide or in the middle and keep the defenders guessing. Meh. Wouldn't win but would be entertaining to watch I think.

Edited by IAceI