Some thread about the law surrounding parody

Serious Parody

I'd assume that 99.9% of companies would say "why yes that is too close, please send us money and we will let you use it."

No.

Especially in the case of an organization like WWE which has the means to distribute a product such as this themselves.

If they were informed of this, the best case scenario for the developer would be that WWE would offer to purchase the concept from him and release it themselves with their own trademarks. Under no circumstances would they consider licensing a "knock-off" version of their stars to somebody. In fact, they likely wouldn't even look. The fact that somebody thought it similar enough to ask if it was too similar would likely be enough to have them reply "yes it is, cease and desist."

FFS, these are the same people that tried to argue in court that Scott Hall shouldn't be able to have black hair because people would think it meant he was still portraying Razor Ramon. "Jack Hagger" ain't gonna fool 'em.

As far as WWE goes, the best case scenario has already occurred as now the project can recoup on expenses before they sweep in and examine just how much of that they are owed.

Musicians are happy to have Weird Al parody their music because it will prompt Weird Al fans, who might not necessarily be their fans, to buy their music, giving them a part of the proceeds. Granted, some like Coolio value artistic integrity (or at least put up that sort of front, anyway) over the extra sales and exposure, but most are happy to have their music shopped to a different customer base (NOT audience) they might be unable to reach otherwise.

Ask kids posting self-made music videos on youtube how far they get when the "parody" isn't raking in any money.

Yes take a small part of my post and twist it to fit your needs. I should have written that the best possible outcome was... The average response would be cease and desist and you are now on our radar. My point was that it would make absolutely fuck all sense to send something like this to the company who is likely to sue you for it and ask for their honest response. My point was that half the posters on here were looking as retarded as serious parody for not only suggesting it, but by then re-quoting it like it was the world's best idea and he was a knob for ignoring it.

Yes he should have sought legal advice. But like I said, from his own legal representative. Not by contacting the company most likely to sue him and asking them. A.) The response isn't going to be necessarily accurate and B.) It puts you on their radar and as pointed out WWE aren't shy when it comes to protecting their inventions/trademarks/property, whether they have a real case or not.

• Like 1

I'd assume that 99.9% of companies would say "why yes that is too close, please send us money and we will let you use it."

No.

Especially in the case of an organization like WWE which has the means to distribute a product such as this themselves.

If they were informed of this, the best case scenario for the developer would be that WWE would offer to purchase the concept from him and release it themselves with their own trademarks. Under no circumstances would they consider licensing a "knock-off" version of their stars to somebody. In fact, they likely wouldn't even look. The fact that somebody thought it similar enough to ask if it was too similar would likely be enough to have them reply "yes it is, cease and desist."

FFS, these are the same people that tried to argue in court that Scott Hall shouldn't be able to have black hair because people would think it meant he was still portraying Razor Ramon. "Jack Hagger" ain't gonna fool 'em.

As far as WWE goes, the best case scenario has already occurred as now the project can recoup on expenses before they sweep in and examine just how much of that they are owed.

Musicians are happy to have Weird Al parody their music because it will prompt Weird Al fans, who might not necessarily be their fans, to buy their music, giving them a part of the proceeds. Granted, some like Coolio value artistic integrity (or at least put up that sort of front, anyway) over the extra sales and exposure, but most are happy to have their music shopped to a different customer base (NOT audience) they might be unable to reach otherwise.

Ask kids posting self-made music videos on youtube how far they get when the "parody" isn't raking in any money.

Yes take a small part of my post and twist it to fit your needs. I should have written that the best possible outcome was... The average response would be cease and desist and you are now on our radar. My point was that it would make absolutely fuck all sense to send something like this to the company who is likely to sue you for it and ask for their honest response. My point was that half the posters on here were looking as retarded as serious parody for not only suggesting it, but by then re-quoting it like it was the world's best idea and he was a knob for ignoring it.

Oh, I agree... but I didn't twist it. That's what you said. My point was 99.9% of companies would not behave in such a manner and, even if that were true (which again it isn't) WWE would be among the 0.01%.

For the record, I am anti-banning JukeboxHero because it's my belief that we're making him more miserable by allowing him to post here than we would be by banning him.

EDIT: ... oh, it's locked. Uh. GO READ A BOOK, KIDS.

• Like 2