Some thread about the law surrounding parody

Serious Parody

From The Apologetix website:

Does "Weird Al" get permission to do parodies?

Weird Al's website recognizes the legal rights of parodists to do parodies without permission.  However, as an established superstar with a non-religious message, he really doesn't pose a threat to the artists he spoofs, so he still asks for permission anyway to maintain relationships he started before the 1994 2 Live Crew case, and also to ensure his share of the royalties as the lyricist.  Here's a direct quote from Al's website:

"Does Al get permission to do his parodies?

"Al does get permission from the original writers of the songs that he parodies. While the law supports his ability to parody without permission, he feels it's important for him to maintain the relationships that he's built with artists and writers over the years. Plus, Al wants to make sure that he gets his songwriter credit (as writer of new lyrics) as well as his rightful share of the royalties."   

And that beats the legal quote given earlier because.......?

Ok, there are now seven ratings on Wrestling Manager on the App Store and three reviews. ****1/2?

Ok, are they just all Serious Parody? Or was that $250,000 spent on fake reviews?

One's me, one's WWEDVDNEWS and I don't know who the others are. I can say that I've had close to 200 emails today from people that all said the game was great. Granted, about 20 of them reported crashes and we totally need to get rid of that but all in all, that's not a bad bit of support from some of the community.

The fact that you reviewed your own game shows how fucked up you are.

Do we get to +1 our own posts? No. Why? BECAUSE THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS YOU IDIOT!

Ha, you really think theres an app on the app store that doesn't have the makers own review?

Weird Al's website recognizes the legal rights of parodists to do parodies without permission. However, as an established superstar with a non-religious message, he really doesn't pose a threat to the artists he spoofs, so he still asks for permission anyway to maintain relationships he started before the 1994 2 Live Crew case, and also to ensure his share of the royalties as the lyricist. Here's a direct quote from Al's website:

"Al does get permission from the original writers of the songs that he parodies. While the law supports his ability to parody without permission, he feels it's important for him to maintain the relationships that he's built with artists and writers over the years. Plus, Al wants to make sure that he gets his songwriter credit (as writer of new lyrics) as well as his rightful share of the royalties."

We get it, you're annoying.

Fuck Off.

• Like 1

Weird Al's website recognizes the legal rights of parodists to do parodies without permission.  However, as an established superstar with a non-religious message, he really doesn't pose a threat to the artists he spoofs, so he still asks for permission anyway to maintain relationships he started before the 1994 2 Live Crew case, and also to ensure his share of the royalties as the lyricist.  Here's a direct quote from Al's website:

Do you know who else is entitled to royalties?

FFS, you realize WHY artists grant Weird Al permission to parody their songs, right?

Parody and parody-for-profit are two different things...

Well if you've sold 200 copies of it, you're well on your way to that $250,000 or whatever.

Also; you made a review for your own game? What the fuck are you.

0116.jpg

• Like 7

Ok, there are now seven ratings on Wrestling Manager on the App Store and three reviews. ****1/2?

Ok, are they just all Serious Parody? Or was that $250,000 spent on fake reviews?

One's me, one's WWEDVDNEWS and I don't know who the others are. I can say that I've had close to 200 emails today from people that all said the game was great. Granted, about 20 of them reported crashes and we totally need to get rid of that but all in all, that's not a bad bit of support from some of the community.

Weird Al's website recognizes the legal rights of parodists to do parodies without permission. However, as an established superstar with a non-religious message, he really doesn't pose a threat to the artists he spoofs, so he still asks for permission anyway to maintain relationships he started before the 1994 2 Live Crew case, and also to ensure his share of the royalties as the lyricist. Here's a direct quote from Al's website:

plums_4b740183105ab.jpg

• Like 15

Do we get to +1 our own posts? No. Why? BECAUSE THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS YOU IDIOT!

Ha, you really think theres an app on the app store that doesn't have the makers own review?

Because as we know, if some people do something then it is perfectly okay for everyone else, even if it is illegal or just downright fucking stupid.

Guest JukeboxHero

Notice that last part--Al does it so that he gets his share of royalties. The implication is that he could parody them without permission, but he wouldn't get paid.

Game's over.

........but The Apologetix parody shit and get paid for it. They don't get permission.

Edited by JukeboxHero

Notice that last part--Al does it so that he gets his share of royalties. The implication is that he could parody them without permission, but he wouldn't get paid.

Game's over.

........but The Apologetix parody shit and get paid for it. They don't get permission.

They also don't get all the profits.

People don't like it when people review their own apps. It's dishonest. Besides, I covered this earlier. You say your game is good but you obviously don't have enough faith to let it stand on it's own merits so you have to make up some fake reviews.

Game's over.

And if they jumped off a bridge would you -- oh hell FUCKING JUMP YOU SHEEP!

Ah, the old 'but other people must have done it too so I'm allowed to' argument.

Havn't heard that since I was 12, nice to see it again