Some thread about the law surrounding parody

Serious Parody

Guest JukeboxHero

The band Apologetix parodied Eminem and they're a Christian rock group. I'm pretty sure Eminem didn't give them the okay. Weird Al has stated he only wants permission because he doesn't want to offend anybody or step on their toes. He said you don't NEED permission.

Edited by JukeboxHero

• Admin

The band Apologetix parodied Eminem and they're a Christian rock group. I'm pretty sure Eminem didn't give them the okay. Weird Al has staed he only wants permission because he doesn't want to offend anybody or step on their toes. He said you don't NEED permission.

:bang:

The band Apologetix parodied Eminem and they're a Christian rock group. I'm pretty sure Eminem didn't give them the okay. Weird Al has staed he only wants permission because he doesn't want to offend anybody or step on their toes. He said you don't NEED permission.

Take a look at Bethesda vs the Minecraft (Scrolls) guys.

Ok, there are now seven ratings on Wrestling Manager on the App Store and three reviews. ****1/2?

Ok, are they just all Serious Parody? Or was that $250,000 spent on fake reviews?

One's me, one's WWEDVDNEWS and I don't know who the others are. I can say that I've had close to 200 emails today from people that all said the game was great. Granted, about 20 of them reported crashes and we totally need to get rid of that but all in all, that's not a bad bit of support from some of the community.

The band Apologetix parodied Eminem and they're a Christian rock group. I'm pretty sure Eminem didn't give them the okay. Weird Al has stated he only wants permission because he doesn't want to offend anybody or step on their toes. He said you don't NEED permission.

Do you pride yourself on being a buzzkill?

Ok, there are now seven ratings on Wrestling Manager on the App Store and three reviews. ****1/2?

Ok, are they just all Serious Parody? Or was that $250,000 spent on fake reviews?

One's me, one's WWEDVDNEWS and I don't know who the others are. I can say that I've had close to 200 emails today from people that all said the game was great. Granted, about 20 of them reported crashes and we totally need to get rid of that but all in all, that's not a bad bit of support from some of the community.

200 emails saying it's great? Why aren't they reviewing it? I think you're lying. Again.

To FURTHER show how legally fucked Serious Parody is:

A parody exists when one imitates a serious piece of work, such as literature, music or artwork, for a humorous or satirical effect.

A parody, because it is a method of criticism, must inevitably make use of another creative work. This inherently creates a conflict between the creator of the work that is being parodied (as no one likes to be criticized, made fun of or ridiculed) and the creator of the parody. It is also highly unlikely that a copyright owner will grant permission or a license to a parodist to use their copyright protected work in creating a parody.

To decide if a given use of a copyrighted work is fair use, the Copyright Act [of 1976] says these four factors must be considered:

The purpose and character of the use, including whether it is for-profit or for a non-profit, educational purpose;

The nature of the copyrighted work;

The percentage of the total work that is used;

The effect the use will have on the value or profit-making potential of the original work.

I hope you have some of that 250K left, you might want to hire a lawyer or ten.

200 emails saying it's great? Why aren't they reviewing it? I think you're lying. Again.

Not everybody goes back and reviews it. I wish they would but they don't. I think Angry Birds has less than 10,000 reviews but it's sold more than 10m copies.

Guys, he's a carny shill. He's not going to tell the truth.

Ask yourself this the next time you wonder why you're suspicious of what he says.

Game's over.

Now go and rest our heroes !

If that's true, then instead of trolling us on here, I'd suggest using your time to personally e-mail all 200 of those people and let them know you appreciate them buying the game, and that the best thing they can do to help out your game is to give it a good rating and write a review for the app store.

But you probably won't since a.) there's no way 200 people bought your game already and b.) you're a dick.

The fact that you reviewed your own game shows how fucked up you are.

Do we get to +1 our own posts? No. Why? BECAUSE THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS YOU IDIOT!

Guest JukeboxHero

From The Apologetix website:

Does "Weird Al" get permission to do parodies?

Weird Al's website recognizes the legal rights of parodists to do parodies without permission. However, as an established superstar with a non-religious message, he really doesn't pose a threat to the artists he spoofs, so he still asks for permission anyway to maintain relationships he started before the 1994 2 Live Crew case, and also to ensure his share of the royalties as the lyricist. Here's a direct quote from Al's website:

"Does Al get permission to do his parodies?

"Al does get permission from the original writers of the songs that he parodies. While the law supports his ability to parody without permission, he feels it's important for him to maintain the relationships that he's built with artists and writers over the years. Plus, Al wants to make sure that he gets his songwriter credit (as writer of new lyrics) as well as his rightful share of the royalties."

Edited by JukeboxHero

If that's true, then instead of trolling us on here, I'd suggest using your time to personally e-mail all 200 of those people and let them know you appreciate them buying the game, and that the best thing they can do to help out your game is to give it a good rating and write a review for the app store.

But you probably won't since a.) there's no way 200 people bought your game already and b.) you're a dick.

We always email people.

From The Apologetix website:

Does "Weird Al" get permission to do parodies?

Weird Al's website recognizes the legal rights of parodists to do parodies without permission.  However, as an established superstar with a non-religious message, he really doesn't pose a threat to the artists he spoofs, so he still asks for permission anyway to maintain relationships he started before the 1994 2 Live Crew case, and also to ensure his share of the royalties as the lyricist.  Here's a direct quote from Al's website:

"Does Al get permission to do his parodies?

"Al does get permission from the original writers of the songs that he parodies. While the law supports his ability to parody without permission, he feels it's important for him to maintain the relationships that he's built with artists and writers over the years. Plus, Al wants to make sure that he gets his songwriter credit (as writer of new lyrics) as well as his rightful share of the royalties."   

Weird Al doesn't live in the UK where Serious Parody lives, does he?