Some thread about the law surrounding parody

Serious Parody

I would definitely pay $10 for a good wrestling management sim on my iphone. Without question. I love Game Dev Story, I used to really like EWR, if I knew the game was going to be good I'd buy it. Problem is, I have no way of knowing that the game is going to be good, Jukebox Hero's excitability over puns notwithstanding. I want this game to be good, and I want it to be successful, but if you need 25000 people to purchase an unproven game from an unproven developer at $10 a pop just to break even, then I don't think that's going to work out too well for you. And even though you've released the game, it's hard to take you seriously when you're suggesting that Rodney Van Damn is 100% original or Dwayne Maivia isn't supposed to look like the Rock. I want to say this in the least offensive way possible, but when you say things like that, it makes me seriously question your intelligence, which in turn makes me seriously question the quality of the game.

• Like 4

$9.99?! Nigga you crazy!

Football Manager = $9.99

Wrestling Manager = $9.99

It's a cool game dude. It's the kind of game you can play for months (believe me, I have been) and we plan to release a new patch every month which we will always try to make free.

Football Manager is a well-known brand.

Wrestling Manager is not. Your game may be good (I don't know, I lack an iDevice), but you are pricing yourself out of the market. $10 for an unknown iPhone game is too much of a risk.

This.

Football Manager/Championship Manager has been around for more or less twenty years. People know when they get a Football Manager game they're getting something that will be fun. I hardly play any other game than Football Manager these days, because it's about all my laptop can handle and I don't own a working console.

All we know about Wrestling Manager is it's got some wrestlers with silly names that sound kinda like the names of real wrestlers - and if I had something I could play this on, I still wouldn't try it out because it just doesn't look worth my time for that price,

And sure, Adam Ryland has made his name and can charge $40 for his wrestling management game - but I'm not trying to charge $40, I'm charging a quarter of that for my wrestling management game. I think if this was the exact same game but on a PC, most of you wouldn't have even mentioned price but because it's on an iPhone - well $9.99 is suddenly a lot of money.

----

The one guy in here that's bought the game has done nothing but post good things about it so far. So don't take my word for it, ask him if it's any good.

You're missing the point. Since you brought it up with the comparison in the quote Ruki originally replied to, I'll keep up the comparison. Football Manager is on a completely different level to you, because Wrestling Manager is just some game... by some people... somewhere. Is it any good? Who knows? You can't just assume that your game is worth the same as their game because you're in a similar market.

I've got a friend whose a comic book artist. A while ago he self published a comic book and got it distributed through Forbidden Planet. I can't remember how much it costs (and I know next to nothing about comic books), but it was about €3.99 we'll say. Now I'm sure that's fairly cheap compared to the average Spiderman comic. My friend's not Stan Lee, his comic wasn't released by Marvel, he hasn't got the brand power behind him that means people are going to spend big sums of money on his book and I don't think it has sold a fantastic amount either. But then he wasn't expecting to sell hundreds of copies.

You're in the same position except your expecting people to take your game on the same face value that they would Football Manager. So you're expecting to make Football Manager money on a no-name product. You're charging for Wrestling Manager the same price that Football Manager for the same device. You're expecting that there is an audience willing to spend $10, on a game they know nothing about, just because you say it's good. That is not how it works. If it did we'd all be doing it and making millions.

• Like 4

http://appmuse.com/a...p-a-mobile-app/

Alex Ahlund, former CEO of AppVee and AndroidApps, and later an advisor to Appolicious, wrote a guest blog article about app sales on TechCrunch. According to that article, a survey of 96 mobile app developers showed the average cost to develop an app was $6,453. An article on OS X Daily about iPhone Development Costs reported that the development cost range for "small apps" is $3,000 to $8,000 and that "more complex or recognized brand apps" can cost $50,000 to $150,000. A well-written article on PadGadget.com explored The Cost of Building an iPad App and suggested the development costs (as compared to design and other costs) range from $12,000 to $150,000 or more.

My conclusion: if anyone actually did spend $250,000 developing any kind of app then their business model is atrocious.

It depends what the app is for mate. I could knock up a sound board in 10 minutes. This isn't your average app, it's a hardcore game with a huge database filled with huge amounts of hand drawn content. There's features upon features in the game and they all take time. Then when you factor in marketing costs as well as actually setting up the office. How much does 6 macs cost do you think?

So you don't need to break even with the macs etc on Wrestling Manager. You can space the break-even on your infrastructure across multiple games. Did you take this into account with your figures?

• Like 1

Is Major Rider who I think it is?!

Should have been E-Z Rider, then we'd be Seriously Parodying two things. Much more efficient.

The one guy in here that's bought the game has done nothing but post good things about it so far. So don't take my word for it, ask him if it's any good.

Aside from the fact that these good things said amount to nothing more than "Chilly McFreeze Austin? Gufaw!", we're talking about the guy that likes oscy and jocky and also thinks +1'ing people in order to troll a secret society of internet message board posters is a good thing so, yeah, i'll wait for a second opinion.

Use your imagination. It's Jake Roberts, but he's got a cake instead of a snake. And its called Gaymien.

You're doing it wrong. Jake Roberts was established before the Attitude era finished so neither he or any animal related to him can be considered gay.

No homo?

• Like 1