General Snooker Thread

ONO

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Ronnie pretty much confirming he's the GOAT tonight, there's not a single record worth having he doesn't now hold/co-hold.

Most majors, most UKs, most worlds (joint), most masters, most ranking titles, most 147s, most centuries.

Be interesting to see if he calls it a day or goes for one more world title.

I'm sure he'll keep going. Most people around him say that his "I don't care" attitude is bollocks because he practises hard and plays at almost all the tournaments.

I always knew the day would come when he equalled Hendry's record, even though I really hoped it never would. He deserved to win the title, but I don't think any of his opponents played as well as they could. Maybe the thought of facing O'Sullivan had an effect on them, a bit like the opponents of Davis and Hendry in their prime.

While I always enjoy snooker, this World Championship was a little disappointing for me. The Williams/Trump semi-final was great, and O'Sullivan's record chase was obviously the thing everyone focused on, but there was a lack of big stories elsewhere. The anticipated Chinese push from Zhao Xintong and Yan Bingtao never materialised, and there wasn't a notable surprise package elsewhere either. Neil Robertson, the best player over the season, didn't really turn up.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/04/2023 at 17:20, Bobfoc said:

Luca Brecel was often touted as a future champion when he was a teenager. Maybe this is his time.

He's said that his preparation for the tournament involved getting drunk and playing FIFA. Whatever works.

Man, this semi-final has been ridiculously dramatic. Luca down 14-5, having a semi tantrum on Friday, and with the finishline in sight Si Jiahui has completely self-destructed and has lost 10 (going on 11) frames on the bounce.

Full beans to Luca to strike, because the level of play has taken a complete 180 from both.

Phenomenal semi finals on both sides.

Edit: And now Brecel is 16-14.
Edit: Si finally claws one back to 16-15

Final edit: and Brecel finishes it off 17-15, amazing game all around, but utterly gutting for the young Si.

1 hour ago, FestiveJack said:

Brecel did it again? The dude is a machine.

He's done very well to take advantage of his opportunities, but he's been massively helped by his opponents' capitulations. He'll probably need to make a much better start in the final.

11 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

He's done very well to take advantage of his opportunities, but he's been massively helped by his opponents' capitulations. He'll probably need to make a much better start in the final.

I'm rooting for him because he's the underdog, but I think Selby is likely to run through him if Brecel can't be clinical.

If Brecel plays like he did on Thursday and Friday, it'll probably get ugly for him and Selby isn't likely to get crushed under the pressure like Si did.