2012 NFL Season

Dan

The Ed Reed penalty was bs to begin with. You can't blame a defensive player for a helmet to helmet hit when its only helmet to helmet because the offensive player changes position at the last second before impact. Ray Anderson, the NFL's head of football operations, was on Mike & Mike and tried to say the penalty was because Reed made no attempt to do a wrap up. And completely ignored both Mikes when they tried to say it was helmet to helmet because of Sanders lowering his head at the last second.

The NFL is being overprotective of offensive players, unfair to defensive players when they penalize them for helmet to helmet hits when the hits are due to the offensive player changing position right before impact, and are going to learn when defensive players have no choice but to do low hits to avoid the risk of penalty and it results in offensive players getting hurt.

As for Reed, maybe he needs to call up Bryan Dawkins and ask him to teach him how to do the German Suplex tackle...

It was the right call on-the-field, you got to be clear across the board about it I think. Leaving it up to the subjective nature of questions such as "did the receiver lower his head?" and "was he leading with his shoulder but the angle was off because of the receiver?" It only works as a deterrent when it's a hard and fast rule; helmet hits helmet, penalty. We can only tell what we do in hindsight thanks to instant replay. The game would be slowed down even more by having these calls get looked at by officials to confirm it. I'm not going to get into hypothetical changes the league could make here, just going with what we currently have and what the options are.

Where the NFL screwed up here, as they have too often under Goodell, is to hand down a suspension and a fine without having any subjective analysis. It's a massive problem that Goodell still doesn't get, that he can't just be dictatorial and treat suspensions and fines coming from his office the same way a penalty in the game is treated. The Bountygate embarrassment is probably making him realize a lot of this.

Harbaugh tells Kaepernick he will start.

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, he obviously looked really good against a good defense on Monday and is more dynamic but it's also just one game and it's not like Alex Smith has been bad this year. I trust Harbaugh but it's not going to look good if it backfires.

I feel for Alex Smith here. Guy has finally been getting his career back on track recently. As it weren't enough for Niners to basically admit to wanting to dump him for Manning in the offseason, now he's losing his job after one week being out with a concussion. Kaepernick has shown flashes of brilliance, but dude has had one good game, against a now-slumping Bears team at that. It hardly warrants giving him the start over a proven guy in Smith. If this doesn't work out, not only does Harbaugh look like a tool, but he also has damaged the confidence of both guys in the process. Terrible decision, imo.

• Like 1

I don't really like Alex Smith as a starting QB. I don't think he's a great QB, but this is a shitty way to lose your job. He's basically getting penalized for getting a concussion and following proper procedures.

He was told it wasn't a competition when he came back this year. He hasn't went out and lost the job. Even had some good games. Yet this is how he's rewarded?

It's more likely the Bears weren't prepared for Kaepernick. It sounded like Smith would play, and they had nothing to go on for Kaepernick. Basing the decision on 1 game seems real hasty.

I have to say it doesn't seem like a good decision. Harbaugh didn't have enough confidence in Kaepernick to have him compete with Smith in the beginning so why just give him the job now?

The only thing I can say is, Kaepernick is better on his feet than Smith. You might be right about the Bears being unprepared for him, but time will tell. Smith has been getting better, but I just don't see him being a great QB, ever. On a lot of other teams he'd probably have been benched a lot sooner.

The Ed Reed penalty was bs to begin with. You can't blame a defensive player for a helmet to helmet hit when its only helmet to helmet because the offensive player changes position at the last second before impact. Ray Anderson, the NFL's head of football operations, was on Mike & Mike and tried to say the penalty was because Reed made no attempt to do a wrap up. And completely ignored both Mikes when they tried to say it was helmet to helmet because of Sanders lowering his head at the last second.

The NFL is being overprotective of offensive players, unfair to defensive players when they penalize them for helmet to helmet hits when the hits are due to the offensive player changing position right before impact, and are going to learn when defensive players have no choice but to do low hits to avoid the risk of penalty and it results in offensive players getting hurt.

As for Reed, maybe he needs to call up Bryan Dawkins and ask him to teach him how to do the German Suplex tackle...

It was the right call on-the-field, you got to be clear across the board about it I think. Leaving it up to the subjective nature of questions such as "did the receiver lower his head?" and "was he leading with his shoulder but the angle was off because of the receiver?" It only works as a deterrent when it's a hard and fast rule; helmet hits helmet, penalty. We can only tell what we do in hindsight thanks to instant replay. The game would be slowed down even more by having these calls get looked at by officials to confirm it. I'm not going to get into hypothetical changes the league could make here, just going with what we currently have and what the options are.

Where the NFL screwed up here, as they have too often under Goodell, is to hand down a suspension and a fine without having any subjective analysis. It's a massive problem that Goodell still doesn't get, that he can't just be dictatorial and treat suspensions and fines coming from his office the same way a penalty in the game is treated. The Bountygate embarrassment is probably making him realize a lot of this.

Right call on the field, but the NFL should have just left well enough alone after. It was clear that Sanders lowered his position just before impact and that was why it was helmet to helmet. There is no way a defensive player can adjust in a split second. The punishment didn't fit the crime because there's no crime, and it being reduced to a 50k fine on appeal rather than being thrown out entirely is a joke.

If the NFL wants to make an example out of someone, then they need to look at one of Sanders' teammates: James Harrison. Some of Harrison's helmet to helmet hits have been intentional.

As for Goodell, I'll be surprised if he's still commissioner 5 years down the road. He pisses too many people off. Like you said, he'd trying to be a dictator and its not working. A commissioner who gets overturned and criticized a lot isn't a very effective commissioner.

Edited by GhostMachine

I feel for Alex Smith here. Guy has finally been getting his career back on track recently. As it weren't enough for Niners to basically admit to wanting to dump him for Manning in the offseason, now he's losing his job after one week being out with a concussion. Kaepernick has shown flashes of brilliance, but dude has had one good game, against a now-slumping Bears team at that. It hardly warrants giving him the start over a proven guy in Smith. If this doesn't work out, not only does Harbaugh look like a tool, but he also has damaged the confidence of both guys in the process. Terrible decision, imo.

Smith is coming off of a concussion. Why give him his job back if you can give him more time to heal AND evaluate your backup against live competition? It's not like Smith is an MVP or just won a SB.

Smith is coming off of a concussion. Why give him his job back if you can give him more time to heal AND evaluate your backup against live competition? It's not like Smith is an MVP or just won a SB.

It's not as simple as evaluating the backup, nor is it about giving Smith time to heal. This is essentially Harbaugh saying he believes Kaepernick is the better QB for the team. If Colin has another repeat performance Sunday, Smith will be benched.

Alex has developed into a very good, arguably top ten QB. Yeah he's not going to light up the scoreboard, but treplacing him with an unproven guy with one great game under his belt is foolish.

The officiating in this game is absolute fucking trash. These officials suck as bad as the replacements, missing and obvious fumble on a punt, then not calling a RB down when his knees and elbows both were on the turf, and letting him run in for the TD. Then the refs declare that play isn't reviewable!? How is it not? How the fuck is it not challengeable? How the fuck is there not a booth review since it's a scoring play? This is fucking crap.

So they explained because Jim Schwartz threw his red flag to challenge the call, that negated the booth review on a scoring play. However, you're apparently not allowed to throw a red flag on a scoring play because the booth review is supposed to happen. So instead of him getting the flag back, they flag us for a 15 yard penalty. Fuck the NFL and their stupid, contrived, asinine, borderline psychotic fucking rules.

So they explained because Jim Schwartz threw his red flag to challenge the call, that negated the booth review on a scoring play. However, you're apparently not allowed to throw a red flag on a scoring play because the booth review is supposed to happen. So instead of him getting the flag back, they flag us for a 15 yard penalty. Fuck the NFL and their stupid, contrived, asinine, borderline psychotic fucking rules.

How was he supposed to know a whistle didn't blow and nobody heard it? There's so much subjective bullshit in that rule, it's awful.

• Like 1

I agree, and not only did Houston get a free TD, but we get penalized 15 yards. Nothing drives me crazier in pro sports than officials deciding outcomes of games. Getting your ass beat, losing a heartbreaking you clawed back into, losing a huge lead, whatever, that's part of the game. Officials taking over drives me, and probably most every other fan nuts.

It's not as simple as evaluating the backup, nor is it about giving Smith time to heal. This is essentially Harbaugh saying he believes Kaepernick is the better QB for the team. If Colin has another repeat performance Sunday, Smith will be benched.

Alex has developed into a very good, arguably top ten QB. Yeah he's not going to light up the scoreboard, but treplacing him with an unproven guy with one great game under his belt is foolish.

If Harbaugh's willing to bench Smith based on 2 games worth of evidence and his belief that Kaepernick is better, then Smith is not a top 10 QB and San Fran doesn't believe in him. It may not be fair, but it's the reality of the QB position on a team with a lights out defense and impressive running game.

Also, Suh is almost as much of a disgrace as the officiating is these days. I really want to like the Lions because of Stafford and Megatron, but Suh's douchebaggery makes me want to see them lose every game. Again. :shifty: