2012 NFL Season

Dan

Oh good, he can come play for the Cowboys then.

He'll cost a pretty penny. I would expect him to wind up in New England ($18 mil under the cap and in desperate need of a safety). But the time to think about that is not now.

I have no idea what to expect from this game. The 49ers on paper are better where it counts the most (O-Line and D-Line), but there is just something that's been going in with Baltimore that you usually see in teams that win it all. Their O-Line has been great since McKinnie came in at LT and Oher moved to RT where he is much better. They neutralized Von Miller in the Denver game as well as anyone can. Caldwell has been calling plays that suit Flacco's skillset (deep balls that either the WR can catch or nobody can). The running game has found a lot of diversity in Pierce and Rice. The defense held Peyton Manning to 21 points (14 were off returns) and Tom Brady to 13 points. SF will have to beat the Ravens on the ground, and they are more than capable of doing that but if the 1st quarter of the Atlanta game is any occasion you can slow the Pistol. Baltimore won't get conservative when they're in the lead, not in this game. The Niners can strike quick, but if the Ravens stop Aldon Smith they can likely outscore SF.

Without a doubt Baltimore is peaking at just the right time, like the Giants in '07 and '11, the Packers in '10, and the Colts in '06 just to name a few. The emotion of Ray Lewis' last name has the inspiration of The Bus going to Detroit for Super Bowl XL and "This one's for John" in Super Bowl XXXII. How much that factors in remains to be seen, but that emotion and desire helped them battle and win in Denver.

Mike Carlson on BBC as usual for tonight, which means it's that over Sky's coverage all day long as he's the best pundit we've got by a massive distance.

I refuse to pay extra for Sky Sports HD on Virgin, so I'm going Beeb. As a bonus their coverage doesn't start til eleven, so I'm watching a Brian Cox repeat in the meantime. Yay!

So Alicia Keys did a good job on the anthem...and was WAY over the 2:08 it takes to sing it

I would like to belatedly make the very important announcement that I am supporting the Baltimore Ravens in this MegaBowl. They too are a bird team, and the mighty coalition of bird teams must flock together.

• Like 4