The 2012 Summer Transfer Window thread

Lineker

I think it's madness how they've handled Carroll coming off the back of a tournament where he played well and the public were behind him. With some confidence from Rodgers, he could've done a job at Liverpool. I know he's got his system and everything, but he could learn to adapt and such. Just can't wrap my head around it. But all power to Rodgers for sticking to his guns and all that I suppose.

I think it's madness how they've handled Carroll coming off the back of a tournament where he played well and the public were behind him. With some confidence from Rodgers, he could've done a job at Liverpool. I know he's got his system and everything, but he could learn to adapt and such. Just can't wrap my head around it. But all power to Rodgers for sticking to his guns and all that I suppose.

He played two games at Euro 2012.

He doesn't fit into how Rodgers wants to play. We want agile, quick forwards, Carroll is a big lumbering lump who has spent the last 18 months of his career moving with all the speed of an oil tanker. He'll never learn to adapt because it's simply not how he plays.

We can't afford to have a player on 80k a week sat on the bench 9 times out of 10.

It was really bad business by Kenny Daglish/whoever to pay £35million for Carroll and I don't blame Rodgers one bit for wanting to put that disaster behind him.

Plus like rockbox said, he doesn't fit into how Rodgers wants them to plus. Ibrahimovic is a beast, but he didn't fit with the Barca style so was quickly moved on.

He played two games at Euro 2012.

He doesn't fit into how Rodgers wants to play. We want agile, quick forwards, Carroll is a big lumbering lump who has spent the last 18 months of his career moving with all the speed of an oil tanker. He'll never learn to adapt because it's simply not how he plays.

We can't afford to have a player on 80k a week sat on the bench 9 times out of 10.

I assume the insults are hyperbole, because he's quite clearly pretty decent. But he has no future at 'pool under Rodgers unless he suddenly becomes a lot different in his style. Which I doubt. Apparently he's down in London ready to undergo a medical, so it's not too far from being a done deal.

I assume the insults are hyperbole, because he's quite clearly pretty decent.

For us he's been far from decent.

Which is why you omitted my bit about not fitting Liverpool :P? No wonder I don't send you birthday cards anymore >_>.

The problem is we need someone like him to play, I know the system that Rodgers will play same as Cruyff, Bielsa, Pep, etc. and sometimes is lacking a big man who can penetrate the defenses like Carroll does, Barça had this problem against Chelsea, Chile with Bielsa had it too, but thats why Athletic Bilbao did so well last season, because of Llorente. I was so behind him last season, but if that's the manager decision, I hope it will work out well.

Edited by Khain
  • Like 1

I hate to get the stats book out with boxxy around, but 42 headed attempts on target last season and only one went in. Saying teams like Barca and 'pool lack a big target man is a lazy man's fix. Barca don't need a big target man, because if the box is full of bodies then it's still pot luck on whether you break through anyway. Carrol was good for Newcastle, is an aerial threat, but he hasn't been anything like the player you'd want for £35million.

I assume the insults are hyperbole, because he's quite clearly pretty decent.

For us he's been far from decent.

Which is why you omitted my bit about not fitting Liverpool :P? No wonder I don't send you birthday cards anymore >_>.

I meant in terms of the insults. Him being a big slow lump wasn't hyperbole, that's exactly what he's been for the majority of the time with us.