Fun Movie Facts

Skummy

I'm not sure if this has ever come up before, but this is a thread for posting fun little, largely inconsequential, facts and tidbits about movies. Stuff that has no real bearing on the plot or anything, but is just kind of interesting to hear.

I'll start with this one I just discovered;

In Back To The Future Part II, one of the little kids at the "Wild Gunman" machine in Cafe '80s in 2015 is Elijah Wood.

Marlon Brando's epic monologue at the end of Apocalypse Now was pretty much improvised. It was also shot in the dark because Brando, at the time, was too fat to realistically potray a US Army Colonel. In the opening of the movie where Martin Sheen is drunk in his room and doing martial arts he actually was blackout drunk. He accidentally punched a mirror and started bleeding heavily, but Coppola decided to keep shooting and leave it in because he thought it looked good.

Eddie Murphy was once intended to play Winston in Ghostbusters.

Christopher Lloyd's first on screen kiss was in Back to the Future 3.

The original draft of Groundhog Day started with Bill Murray's character already stuck replaying the same draft over and over.

Randy Newman has cameo in The Princess and the Frog as a firefly.

The second America Tail film was Jimmy Stewarts last acting role.

I'm not sure if this has ever come up before, but this is a thread for posting fun little, largely inconsequential, facts and tidbits about movies. Stuff that has no real bearing on the plot or anything, but is just kind of interesting to hear.

I'll start with this one I just discovered;

In Back To The Future Part II, one of the little kids at the "Wild Gunman" machine in Cafe '80s in 2015 is Elijah Wood.

Funny you bring up Back to the Future Part II. Here's the original script for it.

Some of the highlights:

Future Marty's life really really sucks.

Marty jeopardizes his whole existence (again)

Shenanigans in 1967.

Die Hard was originally thought up as a sequel to Commando; the story itself was lifted from a novel called Nothing Lasts Forever, itself a sequel to a novel (and later film) The Detective. Die Hard 2 on the other hand was based on the novel 58 Minutes. The fun thing about The Detective was that it starred Frank Sinatra. So yeah, there's your original John McClane.

I also think there's something about Die Hard With A Vengeance being based off a script for a Lethal Weapon sequel.

Eddie Murphy was once intended to play Winston in Ghostbusters.

I've also heard John Candy was originally supposed to play Louis

Edited by jth1981

If we're getting into Ghostbusters trivia, the whole movie was originally intended for John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd and Gozer was originally going to be played by Paul Reubens

Edited by jth1981

If we're getting into Ghostbusters trivia, the whole movie was originally intended for John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd and Gozer was originally going to be played by Paul Reubens

I think the part of Reubens being Gozer (well, in the form of Shandor) was changed over very late in production. In the novelization he turned up.

And on Winston, he was supposed to be much more badass then he was, like, smarter than Egon AND an Ex-Marine. I think I also read something about how Egon was supposed to be played by Chevy Chase. Just makes me wonder at the rate they were going if Eugene Levy would show up (probably as Peck :shifty:)

I also think there's something about Die Hard With A Vengeance being based off a script for a Lethal Weapon sequel.

I've read that somewhere as well. I think they also discuss on the DVD that the first half of the film was also considered as a stand-alone "Simon Says" film, which was then worked into being something Hans Gruber and Die Hard related.

Just saw this on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) IMDB page:

"According to the audio commentary on the German version of the DVD the movie was originally planned to be made and released before the cartoon was on the air. The movie was intended to be a direct comic book adaption in the mid 1980s, but no studio or country (except France and Germany) wanted to invest in the project."