Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

Forgot I hadn't finished Jessica Jones, so I'm wrapping it up before Daredevil starts.  Its fantastic, but I really hate the guy that plays Simpson.  He is just not a good actor.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy reading the backlash to the negativity around BvS, where now DC fanboys are frothing at the mouth defending Synder and all his decisions.  I'll say again, its fucking Superman what in his 80 years of existence has ever given you the idea that a story about him needs to be conveyed in an R rated movie?

• Like 1

On 3/18/2016 at 11:14, Maxx said:

I enjoy reading the backlash to the negativity around BvS, where now DC fanboys are frothing at the mouth defending Synder and all his decisions.  I'll say again, its fucking Superman what in his 80 years of existence has ever given you the idea that a story about him needs to be conveyed in an R rated movie?

The fanboys enjoying this are probably the same ones who had no problem with Jonathan Kent telling Clark he should have let people die rather than exposing his identity, and Superman snapping Zod's neck in Man of Steel.......

(I can see a Batman movie being R due to the villains. But Superman? Nope.)

I'm far from a DC fan but it isn't a Superman movie is it? It's a movie that contains Superman, just as much as it contains Batman, a character you've said you could see in an R rated movie. And the cinema release is a PG -13. 

I dunno. Did I enjoy Man of Steel? No. I thought it was overly long pretentious bollocks with too many horn noises and a bland colour palette. And then it ignores all of the introspection anyway to have its toys bash their way through a lego set. It's hardly alone in that. 

Do the trailers for this movie fill me with hope? No. Again, the colour palette looks as dull as anything.

The last Batman movie being toss as well doesn't help matters. 

That said, this is a movie where we've got a rich business man who thinks thinks that the public should never ever be told the truth (even if that means building a statue to a deranged murderous city official) and a man with incredible powers who is capable of murder in the right situation and has just unintentionally destroyed half an American city having a bit of a bust up before becoming BFFs. That's where we are heading into this movie. They're not as exactly shining role models in this narrative.

And, if I'm honest, I don't think they'll be able to compete with the family friendly fun of Marvel. And given the over abundance of Marvel now I'm not opposed to DC doing something a bit grisly. I find there's something unsettling about both characters anyway, so you may as well chuck them in something a bit edgy if it means they actually get to explore that. If it means the characters are presented in a less sanctimonious light then good. You know, before the bits with the overly loud horns and the bashy bashy. 

I dunno about you but the movie I'll be watching is a PG-13 (I can't find a UK age rating) apparently because it contains some sensuality. That's the case for the majority of the public. Most kids will still watch it. It's not like there's suddenly a Superman movie at the cinema where he's doing the naughty. But if they wanna chuck that on a DVD to appeal to the people who want the Attitude era back so be it. 

Edited by Vamp
Edited to avoid spoiling a scene from Deadpool.

5 hours ago, Vamp said:

I'm far from a DC fan but it isn't a Superman movie is it? It's a movie that contains Superman, just as much as it contains Batman, a character you've said you could see in an R rated movie. And the cinema release is a PG -13. 

I dunno. Did I enjoy Man of Steel? No. I thought it was overly long pretentious bollocks with too many horn noises and a bland colour palette. And then it ignores all of the introspection anyway to have its toys bash their way through a lego set. It's hardly alone in that. 

Do the trailers for this movie fill me with hope? No. Again, the colour palette looks as dull as anything.

The last Batman movie being toss as well doesn't help matters. 

That said, this is a movie where we've got a rich business man who thinks thinks that the public should never ever be told the truth (even if that means building a statue to a deranged murderous city official) and a man with incredible powers who is capable of murder in the right situation and has just unintentionally destroyed half an American city having a bit of a bust up before becoming BFFs. That's where we are heading into this movie. They're not as exactly shining role models in this narrative.

And, if I'm honest, I don't think they'll be able to compete with the family friendly fun of Marvel. And given the over abundance of Marvel now I'm not opposed to DC doing something a bit grisly. I find there's something unsettling about both characters anyway, so you may as well chuck them in something a bit edgy if it means they actually get to explore that. If it means the characters are presented in a less sanctimonious light then good. You know, before the bits with the overly loud horns and the bashy bashy. 

I dunno about you but the movie I'll be watching is a PG-13 (I can't find a UK age rating) apparently because it contains some sensuality. That's the case for the majority of the public. Most kids will still watch it. It's not like there's suddenly a Superman movie at the cinema where he's doing the naughty. But if they wanna chuck that on a DVD to appeal to the people who want the Attitude era back so be it. 

I'm pretty sure DC consider this the sequel to Man of Steel.

As for certificates, a PG-13 in the US usually translates to a 12A in the UK (Similarly, an R-rating usually ends up as a 15 here etc).

The reason a Batman movie would work as rated R is because a huge chunk of his enemies are psychopaths/serial killers. Hardly of any of Superman's enemies fall into the serial killer role.

The movie looks like its going to suck, period. Batman's armor looks horrible, Wonder Woman looks more like a Xena/Wonder Woman hybrid cosplay, Luthor comes off awful in the trailer, and the palette does look washed out as Vamp said. The only reason I'd watch it is to see how Affleck's portrayal of Batman is, even though I'm not thrilled they're using the DKR suit for Batman. (Wonder if that means he'll have Kryptonite gauntlets at one point?)

12 hours ago, Benkid Nada said:

Supergirl is such a fun show. Not perfect or event stellar by any means, but so so fun.

• Like 2

Well rough first day of reviews for Batman/Superman.  Currently rocking at 37% of Rotten Tomatoes.  Consensus is Batfleck is awesome, there's way too much CGI and the Justice League stuff feels super forced.  It's also apparently darker than you might anticipate and devoid of any humor.

11 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Well rough first day of reviews for Batman/Superman.  Currently rocking at 37% of Rotten Tomatoes.  Consensus is Batfleck is awesome, there's way too much CGI and the Justice League stuff feels super forced.  It's also apparently darker than you might anticipate and devoid of any humor.

No...thats exactly what I anticipated

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Lint said:

This looks so awesome! I'm honestly hoping for more!

I also like that this comes before Maxx's post on BvS, to contrast how shitty that superhero team movie is going to be with how fun this is probably going to be!

I don't get how you can make a humourless Superman film. I'm not saying go full blown 60s Batman, but everything about the character is a bit goofy and kitsch, embrace it, don't hide it with 90s GRIMDARKness.

It still annoys me that Arrowverse's Ollie is so damned humourless. Probably a polarising thing to say, but I actually preferred Justin Hartley's Ollie (nothing wrong with Amell himself, just the characterisation still feels off to me).

• Like 1

I personally finished Arrow S3 and Flash S1 last week, and I do agree that they're extremely polarizing in their writing styles. Ollie is a cynical bastard surrounded by people who at least in some way share that cynicism (minus Felicity, who seems to be crying 70% of her screen time anyways). Diggle isn't much in the way of exciting company either, and all the other characters on the show are just as cynical or 'damaged' as Oliver is. The entire tone of the show is just 'the world is dark and filled with mean people, so we gotta be mean too and wallow in our pity for 45 minutes a week'.

Then you have the Flash, and it's almost jarring to start watching it after slogging through three seasons of Arrow. Everyone is optimistic despite the horrible shit that happened or is happening to them. The 'darkest' character on the show is Caitlyn and she barely gets anywhere close to the Arrow cast in terms of wallowing in her emotions... Although they did their best in hammering in the fact her boyfriend went poof, and turned into a flame-elemental almost every damn episode.
The fact the show is so positive and generally fun made the finale episodes of the first season that more powerful, because you actually give a shit about Barry truly struggling with the idea of going back in time to save his mother, or to not change a thing and accept the family he grew up with.

Anyways, haven't seen Supesgirl or LoT and I doubt i'm gonna watch them seeing I also got the entire MCU on my plate. I feel both Arrow and Flash have their respective qualities over each other, but in general fun I must agree that Flash is just that... But season 1 of that can't hold a candle to the Slade Wilson arc of Arrow, imo.

• Like 1

Deadpool had a weird run in our local area.  I was looking forward to watching it in this nearby(well depending on whether you'd call an hour away as being nearby) combination regular/arthouse cinema because it meant a nice day out, with a good lunch at a nice cafe I'd normally only get to go to a couple of times a year and after the movie, I'd finally be getting to try the pizza at this highly rated local place that is never open on the very rare occasions I get up that way.

Lasted for 2 weeks at best, before it went out. :(

8 hours ago, Lint said:

No...thats exactly what I anticipated

Oh here's the fun part; that whole "darker than you anticipate" came from someone who prefaced it with "I assumed it was be really dark"

It's rebounded up to a strong 41%!  I'm just glad I bought my tickets long enough ago that I no longer feel any attachment to that money, so it won't feel wasted if the movie sucks.

Io9 says Eve Torres... Yes the former diva, has been cast as Maxima for an upcoming episode of Supergirl