Comic Book Films & TV

TKz

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Maxx said:

We has a Flash thread young Tristy!

And apparently the director's cut of Batman/Superman is rated R.  Because Superman is totally a character that needs to be in an R rated movie, director's cut or not.

To be fair I found Dark Knight Returns (which inspired this film) pretty grim. A straight adaptation of that would probably get a 'R' rating. Although I found reading it pretty miserable and probably wouldn't bother to see it if it was adapted for the cinema. 

Also, it's just a directors cut. It's basically a fan boy getting to make his grim dark movie that they'll only flog to a tiny percentage of everyone who sees the film. 

2 hours ago, Hans GruLLer said:

The concept of the devil helping people is so fucking dumb.

But see, he's only helping people because he wants to see sinners get punished! Helping people is just kind of a side effect.

There's a pretty good piece up on Birth Movies Death about R-rated superhero movies, revisionism and how the landscape of superhero comics changed with Frank Miller and Alan Moore. It's worth reading, I think.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/02/24/r-rated-superhero-stories-are-inherently-revisionist

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cloudy said:

There's a pretty good piece up on Birth Movies Death about R-rated superhero movies, revisionism and how the landscape of superhero comics changed with Frank Miller and Alan Moore. It's worth reading, I think.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/02/24/r-rated-superhero-stories-are-inherently-revisionist

Nice little read, but as usual I'm drawn to the point near the end about Claremont's X-Men that things have to be R-rated to be 'adult'. It's the PG era argument all over again really, the Attitude era was infinitely more childish and puerile than the current WWE.

I do think there's room for both, and Deadpool certainly suited a higher rating, but nothing annoys me more than the current MCU thing of inserting 1 or 2 token swears into a film that could otherwise be watched by a six year old. If there's any artistic value I'm not against bad language in any form, but when it's just to justify the 12A rating what's the point?

That second paragraph was slightly off the topic, but it irks me...

• Like 2

Five minutes into Legends of Tomorrow and I am cringing so hard my face has turned inside itself. This may be the worst start to a comic show I've ever seen, and it has a lot of competition.

Spoiler

Nobody's even questioning for proof from this guy claiming to be from the future.

Edit: And now a former League member, who has fought hordes of trained killers needs help fighting some drunk schlubs in a bar fight? C'mon.

Sandman got a writer, and JGL also left the project citing differences with New Line Cinema. In his words, they "don't see eye to eye on what Sandman should/could be". The new writer on Sandman is the same dude who wrote the Nightmare on Elm Street reboot and Final Destination 5.

20 hours ago, Benji said:

Five minutes into Legends of Tomorrow and I am cringing so hard my face has turned inside itself. This may be the worst start to a comic show I've ever seen, and it has a lot of competition.

Hide contents

Nobody's even questioning for proof from this guy claiming to be from the future.

Edit: And now a former League member, who has fought hordes of trained killers needs help fighting some drunk schlubs in a bar fight? C'mon.

I have to admit, it's been pretty fucking terrible, but this week's episode (episode 7) is the first one I've enjoyed, so hopefully it's just a case of first season adjusting like how a series almost always begins. They actually developed some emotional depth in Rip Hunter's background, and the stakes were raised in the team so that they weren't simply doing stuff because "heroes, or something".

Oh, and the fight scenes were really nice and crisp, and looked pretty stunning, especially compared to last week's absolute shit ones.

Legends of Tomorrow has definitely been the biggest stumbling block in my "hey, I'm going to watch all the DC shows concurrently!" plan. I think I'm like three to four episodes behind on everything now.

Elsewhere, JGL leaving is basically where I've severed interest with the Sandman movie. Just kill it and wait for Bryan Fuller to finish everything else he's doing so he can adapt that into a premium streaming show in like a decade for all I care.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hans GruLLer said:

JK Simmons has been cast as Commissioner Gordon in Justice League. Ha!

JK Simmons in a world where a child lost his parents and became a masked vigilante. Stop me if you've heard this before... :shifty:

Seriously though, that's amazing casting. Can't wait to see him in action.

Its the news we've all been waiting for! Our favorite show has tackled some incredible hurdles to get to this point. From making the pilot, to getting a 13 episode season order, to extending that order to 20 episodes and now, a second season! Deadline is reporting that, Les Moonves said in a conference with Deutsche Bank Media, Internet & Telecom, CBS plans to renew all five of this season’s freshman shows. That, of course, includes Supergirl! While Supergirl was not mentioned by name, its a pretty clear indication its a go! An official announcement might not be made yet but when it does we'll be all over it. For now, rest easy, season 2 is coming.