EWB's Top 100 Artists of 2012

gunnar hendershow

I actually like Soundgarden alright; if I hear a Soundgarden song I'll probably enjoy it. I will only go out of my way to listen to one of their songs, though, and that is "Blow Up the Outside World" because that is a great fucking '90s song.

Jack White finishing high surprises me because I wouldn't have thought there would be a significant number of people listing him AND The White Stripes. I've downloaded his entire solo debut album but not really listened to any of it yet.

The nicest thing I can say about Paramore is that "That's What You Get" or whatever it's called is a fun song to play on Rock Band for a song that I don't really enjoy listening to when I'm not playing Rock Band. I call that "The 'Hey You' by The Exies Effect," as inspired by Guitar Hero 1.

Paramore can eat a dick, but Soundgarden? Yeah, Soundgarden is a hell of a band. Probably my favorite of the 3 or 4 big grunge acts (which I'd name without thinking as Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and... let's say Alice in Chains?). Badmotorfinger is such a great album because it's just a blistering bit of smart hard rock with that trademark Seattle sludge on top of it. Love it.

• Like 1

Soundgarden - Used to dig them a lot. I've sort of grown out of that, but I don't really dislike them either. I guess I've grown tired of them more than anything.

The Lucksmiths - Not a clue.

Jack White - I honestly don't see how this isn't lumped together with The White Stripes. I know they're separate entities, but he's had, what? One solo album? And most of his memorable stuff is with someone else involved.

Childish Gambino - I should probably take more time to try out his stuff.

Paramore - Don't know them and I have a strong feeling I don't want to.

MOTHERFUCKING BRUCE - Fuck yes. Honestly, I wish he was much higher, like in the Top 10 at least. Wrecking Ball is a ridiculously good album - his best since Nebraska and maybe since Darkness on the Edge of Town. He is THE consumate showman in concert, consistently delivering 3 plus hours of anthemic rock that blows the roof off (when he's not playing giant open-air stadiums to begin with.) Tremendous songwriter, unmistakable voice, and puts on the best concerts this side of . . . hell, just the best. He's not my all-time favorite, but he's dangerously close.