EWB's Top 100 Artists of 2012

gunnar hendershow

Okay, so in my first attempt at taking over the running of this list from interim list-runner GoGo I had to debate between the method used last year and the one YI used regularly when he was running the list. I decided to use the system where all picks receiving multiple votes are multiplied by the number of lists on which they appeared. So, before I get to revealing the actual list, I'll do the annual list of artists that almost made it but didn't.

- Elvis Costello

- Testament

- Neutral Milk Hotel

- Weezer

- Aphex Twin

- Linkin Park

- LCD Soundsystem

- Earth

- 30 Seconds to Mars

- Kasabian

- Slayer

- Queen

- Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

- Led Zeppelin

I don't think I've voted for any of those (maybe Neutral Milk Hotel) but this is a shame. A fair number of these I wouldn't have minded at all. I thought for sure Weezer was gonna be in here.

Solid group. I believe MJ was somewhere near the bottom of my 15 because I picked up Thriller finally in the last year and have really started to appreciate a lot of the songs of his I missed due to age + that not being an area of interest culturally for me. So in the last year I've really started to appreciate Michael Jackson the R&B singer as opposed to Michael Jackson the punchline. My favorite solo song of his is probably a very close battle between "Rock With You," "I Can't Help It," and "Human Nature."

Scott Walker is one of those guys that has a passionate EWB fanbase but I've never heard anything of.

I'm starting to get into Fiona Apple too! I downloaded all of Tidal over the course of the last couple weeks (using a free service that lets you download three songs off their library a week) and I'm working on the 1999 one with the impossible title. She's quite good. Slight chance of making my 15 next year.

Alestorm are a gimmick and also metal. Can't get into them.

Bob Dylan remains a project I have yet to feel ready to properly delve into. I like songs that he's written but in no way would call myself a fan as of yet.

Oh, wo-hey! Scott Walker! Not really surprised to see Michael Jackson that low, this is EWB after all. I don't care much for Fiona Apple although I have yet to make up my mind yet; I've only ever heard her debut album. However, Alestorm are terrible and shouldn't be on this list. Bob Dylan being this low also makes me sad. But at least Scott Walker actually got on the list. High-five to Skummy.

I am astounded that Linkin Park didn't make it.

Michael Jackson...I never know what to say about him. He has a few undeniably brilliant songs - I love Human Nature and Blame It On The Boogie. Most of his other singles were good too. However, I sometimes feel a bit uncomfortable listening to his music because of some of the stuff he got up to, which is strange, as this doesn't happen when I listen to music made by other bad men, like John Lennon, John Martyn and Phil Spector. Maybe it is because their music is more indispensable to me. Either way, it is massively hypocritical of me. Anyway, Michael Jackson had lots of good songs.

I voted for Scott Walker. He is great. Very unique, stirring music.

I listened to Fiona Apple for the first time recently. I think it was her debut. Previously I'd always been a bit hostile towards her music because of her ludicrous habit of using dreadful poetry as an album title. But I really quite liked this album. You won't catch me listening to the one with the silly name though!

I don't know Alestorm, aside from their yearly appearances in this list. I don't think I'd like them.

Bob Dylan is really good. Yes, he is a dirty, rotten, plagiarising scoundrel, but he is good at it! I think I voted for him too, though more because of his body of work than his so-so new album.

#89 - HOP ALONG

hop_along.jpg

(30 Points | 2 Votes)

#89 - CARLY RAE JEPSEN

4468-carly_rae_jepsen_2_2012_420x250.jpg

(30 Points | 2 Votes)

#89 - THE SPECIALS

Specials460x276.jpg

(30 Points | 2 Votes)

#89 - FOUR YEAR STRONG

fys1.jpg

(30 Points | 2 Votes)

#89 - THE BEACH BOYS

The%20Beach%20Boys.jpg

(30 Points | 2 Votes)

#89 - EVANESCENCE

Evanescence.jpg

(30 Points | 2 Votes)

#89 - LADY GAGA

lady%20gaga%20jd.jpg

(30 Points | 2 Votes)

Carly Rae Jepsen came higher than Bob Dylan? :/ I can't believe bands like Four Year Strong and Evanescence made it on to this list above Earth, Elvis Costello, Aphex Twin or even Neutral Milk Hotel. How absolutely horrifying.

Oh god, Cher Lloyd is going to be #1, right? :crying: