EWB's Top 100 Artists of 2012

gunnar hendershow

Michael Jackson - Not surprised he's on the list, although why he's so low is a bit confusing. I suppose it has something to do with being known for his work in the 80's and early 90's than some of his later stuff.

Scott Walker - Fairly skilled from what I've heard, though I don't have any of his albums.

Fiona Apple - She always strikes me as more of a cover artist, especially since the one song comes to mind is "Across The Universe" on the Pleasantville sound track.

Alestorm - These guys are just crazy fun. I'd compare them to a few other bands, but fans of Alestorm might see it as an insult.

Bob Dylan - Plenty of people have parodied the guy. If he'd allowed somebody else to sing, he probably would have been better off for it. I mean, seriously, have you ever heard a harmonica played better?

Hop Along - They sound a little bit too much like Flyleaf for me to consider them unique.

Carly Rae Jepsen - Yeah, this was always going to happen. Her lyrics are always going to be nonsensical to me, though.

The Specials - A ska punk band. Not bad or anything, but my American influence basically means I hear Reel Big Fish in my head, even though The Specials were first.

Four Year Strong - Decent enough rock music.

The Beach Boys - The Beach Boys defined Americana in their period. As far as band chemistry, they were America's Oasis (brotherly dysfunction included).

Evanescence - I blame the WWE and the Daredevil film for making them popular. Don't get me wrong, they're enjoyable, I'm just saying, there you are.

Lady Gaga - She's catchy, and although she is the epitome of pop music fakery, unlike her peers, she actually has musical talent and helps write the songs.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Eh, screw Hendrix. My favorite song of his is a cover of Dylan.

Sevendust - Well, they were on The Scorpion King soundtrack, and they sounded cool. So there's that.

Maroon 5 - Well, if Ben Folds wasn't as good of a song writer, I think he'd be Maroon 5. So there's that.

Iced Earth - I don't listen to much metal, but these guys have been on the radio a few times, so I at least know of them.

fun. - They're rather entertaining. Sort of in the same mix as The Avett Brothers, so that's probably why their album released this year instead of last year.

Jonathon Coulton - This guy is freaking hilarious. No joke.

Fiona Apple is a cover artist because she did a cover? (N)

No, it's just that I've only ever heard cover songs by her.

Never heard this?

Hey! Its the music opinions of the guy who killed the short lived EWB Music Club by suggesting a folk album everyone hated! Hooray!

Artists I have no experience of- Fiona Apple, Hop Along, Four Year Strong, The Beach Boys (they are high on my list of bands to delve into though!) Sevendust, Iced Earth, Fun.

Michael Jackson- On the one hand, my parents love him and as a rebellious youngster this meant I had to hate his entire back catalogue, so I still have some residual dislike left over from that period. On the other, I'm coming round to a lot of his songs. I wouldn't consider buying an album or anything, but he made some quirky, catchy stuff.

Scott Walker - Have barely scratched the surface, but I like what I've heard. I need to sit down and properly listen to his songs at some point.

Alestorm - They're pirates! How unique! I think they're OK and I can understand why people like them, but I wouldn't buy a record.

Bob Dylan- I seem to remember posting here once to say I didn't like Bob Dylan. I was young and foolish! I still don't love him to the extent that some people do because, being an uneducated heathen, I don't listen to lots and lots of music that makes me think too deeply, and when I do I tend to stick with people I know and love like Leonard Cohen or Tom Waits. But I get the appreciation for him, and 'It Ain't Me Babe' is rapidly rising my list of favourite songs.

Carly Rae Jepsen - I quite like Carly Rae Jepsen. I have only heard Call Me Maybe, but as a song it doesn't take itself seriously, has a catchy chorus, and is just generally very likeable as a song. For all I know the rest of her songs are all Neo-Nazi anthems, but still...

The Specials - The Specials are great. Don't listen to them too often, else I might well have voted for them. I should do though, I really really like what I've heard.

Evanescence - BOOOOOOO HISSSSSSSSSS. They had that song that says "wake me up inside and save me from my doom," which I found kind of scary as a youngster. I have had no inclination to listen to any of their music since then, but I really, really don't think I would like them much at all.

Lady Gaga - I think Apsham summed up my feelings on Gaga better than I could. I have little time for her.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Excellent. Like a good 'rasslin fan, I got into Jimi through Voodoo Child being Hulk Hogan's theme music for a spell. Much like the Specials I don't listen to them often enough, but I think they're great and I could easily have been persuaded to vote for them.

Maroon 5 - If ever I had a guilty pleasure, it would be Maroon 5. I don't even know quite why I like them, but I find them very listenable and all their hit songs I've enjoyed.

Jonathon Coulton - I don't quite get the love for him, but I find his music quite charming in it's own way. I could see myself getting into him.

Edited by jack95

Ska is an odd one. Original ska bands like Desmond Dekker and the Paragons sounded nothing like the next lot to be called ska - The Specials and The Selecter and so on. And they were nothing like Reel Big Fish and played "ska" around that time.

The first lot were good, the second lot were okay and the third we're rubbish.

First time round I thought he was calling Specials a skate-punk band. That would have been funnier.

The Specials are a fucking ska band. Metalman has it right, there are considered to be different waves of it, first wave is your Desmond Dekkers, Lord Tanamos, and Baba Brooks bands, sort of incorporating reggae, dancehall, and dub. Then there is the second wave of groups that pick up the pace a bit from their earlier counterparts, the Specials, The Selecter, and Bad Manners. Then the third wave is, well some of it is bad, but there are a few good groups like Mephiskapheles and Dance Hall Crashers.

The ska punk thing, I don't know. The second wave of ska was somewhat associated with punk, and the third wave probably gets listed as ska punk because it was sped up, added some dirtier guitar, and was lumped in with some of them Fat Wrech Chord type punk bands.