EWB's Top 100 Artists of 2012

gunnar hendershow

Alkaline Trio - I've heard of them, I think.

Frank Sinatra - One of my favourite singers, but I chose to focus on bands rather than individuals.

Type O Negative - I don't know my blood type, or this band.

Rush - Similarly to the Kinks, I probably know them without knowing its them.

The Who - I love some of their songs but there are also some I really don't like.

Andrew Jackson Jihad - Is he any relation to James K Polk Crusade?

Electric Wizard - An acquaintance of mine adores them, but I've never actually heard any of their songs.

Heck yeah, Andrew Jackson Jihad! I'm pretty sure there'll be a couple more artists like that who me and LD and NO ONE ELSE voted. But yeah, AJJ are the best. They're also the nicest (and tallest!) dudes in music right now, really fun band who you should all totally listen to. Let's listen to some AJJ!

- This is a fun song. Wonderful lyrics, Sean sounds so sad.

- Probably my favourite AJJ song ever. Totally awesome. Listen to it twice!

- The Mrs. Robinson bit at the end is the neatest thing ever.

- Can't pimp out AJJ without this one, that'd be dumb.

- Oh snap, this is actually my favourite AJJ song. I lied the first time.

But yeah, AJJ are awesome.

Alkaline Trio did Maybe I'll Catch Fire, which is a good album. Don't know much else.

Frank Sinatra was really quite brilliant at times. Had a really strong run of albums in the mid 50s, with Come Fly With Me being a particular favourite. Also, he is jointly responsible for this, which is brilliant. He was a very interesting man.

Don't know Type O Negative.

I only know a couple of Rush songs. Doesn't really make me want to listen to any more. Though I do love the video where Geddy Lee goes sledging.

The Who were really good up to Who's Next. Their silly rock opera shtick just about worked with Tommy because of the strength of some individual tunes, but Quadrophenia is so, so dull. Mind you they had some golden songs in the 60s: The Kids Are Alright, My Generation, Boris The Spider, Heat Wave...

I like three Andrew Jackson Jihad songs. The rest are boring and samey.

I dunno Electric Wizard. Ought I to? I like that they are named after a Black Sabbath song. At least, I assume they are.

Electric Wizard! Was convinced they weren't making it on but happy they are. Metalman, they are super fuzzy stoner/doom metal. They're like B movie horror but in music. You might dig them, you might not, your taste is hard to predict.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDO3sq9kHmY

I actually don't like Type O Negative at all, though it seems like they'd be right in my wheelhouse. Other ones I don't really care about.

Oh, I like Rush's first album. Haven't listened to the others.

Alkaline Trio - I like them, nothing amazing but fun enough.

Frank Sinatra - I think I might have voted for him, if not I should've. Brilliant voice.

Type O Negative - I think I've heard one of their songs, or possibly a cover, don't know

Rush - Never liked them, don't really know why, just didn't.

The Who - I love The Who, I hope I remembered to vote for them.

Andrew Jackson Jihad - No idea.

Electric Wizard - No idea.

Yay a band I voted for has appeared on the list (The Who)

Gotta echo Metalmans thoughts about Sinatra as well, a great singer who has had an impact on music and you can see influences of Sinatra throughout music history really. Even today you still get people listening to him and he is just one of those really interesting people to read about.

#70 - RADIOHEAD

radiohead.jpg

(42 points | 2 votes)

#68 - BRAND NEW

Brand+New.jpg

(44 points | 2 votes)

#68 - ARCTIC MONKEYS

arctic-monkeys-standing.jpg

(44 points | 2 votes)

#64 - ALEXISONFIRE

Alexisonfire+photo+by+jess+baumung.jpg

(48 points | 2 votes)

#64 - PANIC! AT THE DISCO

Panic+At+the+Disco+patd.jpg

(48 points | 2 votes)

#64 - DELAIN

delain-inter-1.jpg

(48 points | 2 votes)

#64 - REGINA SPEKTOR

Talk-of-the-town---Regina-008.jpg

(48 points | 2 votes)

Radiohead are the first act where I'm actually shocked they're this low. I thought they'd be in the top 40 for sure.

Next three I do not care about. Regina Spektor is kind of overrated. "Us" is an incredible song and also where she peaked. I get why people love her, though. She's certainly pretty decent.

Can't stand Alkaline Trio.

Sinatra is amazing. His voice isn't actually that good, but what he does with it is phenomenal. I love how, as he got older, he almost accentuated the flaws in his voice, and it made him even better. He did a lot of cheesy stuff that I don't like, but "Only The Lonely" is one of my all-time favourite albums, "Watertown" is brilliant, and there are great songs littered throughout his career.

I liked Type O Negative for a bit, once. They're not bad, and I'll DJ "Christian Woman" now and then, but they're a bit silly, and nothing special.

I don't like Rush at all. Self-indulgent proggy nonsense.

The Who have some great songs, but again, fall prey to self-indulgence an awful lot. I like hearing their stuff, but don't ever go out of my way to.

I still don't know Andrew Jackson Jihad at all.

Electric Wizard are awesome. Considering how stoner/doom stuff is pretty much the area of metal I'm most interested in, it's criminal how little of their stuff I know.

I don't like Radiohead at all. "Experimental" music for people who don't listen to experimental music. One or two good songs, but a huge amount of unlistenable shit in the name of being "avant-garde". Playing one of your other songs isn't avant-garde, it's just wasting your fans' money. Hate Thom Yorke's voice too, and they have no sense of humour.

Don't like Brand New, Alexisonfire or Panic At The Disco at all, and don't know Delain.

Regina Spektor is lovely, but I need to be in the right mood to listen to her. Arctic Monkeys are a bit crap, but have their moments.

Not the best of groups, that one.

I think that Panic! At The Disco dropped the exclamation a point a while back. Something about everybody getting confused about whether to shout the first word or not.

I only recognize them, Radiohead, and Regina Spektor. Perhaps I should give a listen to the others.