EWB's Top 100 Artists of 2012

gunnar hendershow

Yeah, Fun are no good. Gave Some Nights a chance. They obviously know what they're doing but it's not a good thing at all. Also saw them do a live song on Colbert and they're the type who want to be a great live act but sacrifice playing the songs competently. If you want to bounce around and stuff you should practice doing it and still hitting your cues and singing into the microphone properly.

I just noticed that Lady Gaga came anywhere near this list as well - and it's ultimately good to see that she at least came in at that position so she doesn't come anywhere near the rest of the list. Gaga is the worst fucking that has crawled out of any company's idea of "edgy" and "creative" in a long while and I would gladly take any other overproduced, overplayed popstar over her any day of the week. It's not exactly like I'm going to go entirely out of my way to listen to stuff like that anyways, and Gaga is such a company crafted persona played by a real piece of crap anyways.

• Like 3

The first time I heard them was on Colbert and I was unimpressed. Stopped the recording maybe a minute into the song and went to do something else.

EDIT: Them being Fun, I mean.

ALSO, list thoughts:

I don't know many of these bands. I am sad Earth did not chart. I like Michael Jackson and Bob Dylan. I also like Lady Gaga and am amused at ApSham's reaction.

I listened to Evanescence when I was 15, but I grew out of them at 16.

I just noticed that Lady Gaga came anywhere near this list as well - and it's ultimately good to see that she at least came in at that position so she doesn't come anywhere near the rest of the list. Gaga is the worst fucking that has crawled out of any company's idea of "edgy" and "creative" in a long while and I would gladly take some overproduced shit over her any day of the week. It's not exactly like I'm going to go entirely out of my way to listen to stuff like that anyways, and Gaga is such a company crafted persona played by a real piece of crap anyways.

Yes, but how do you feel about Lady Gaga?

• Like 6

Well that started great and then kept going.

Jimi Hendrix Experience are awesome. Should be higher. Every year I find more Hendrix stuff that I love. Also my dad and aunt knew him when he was a teenager, so extra cool.

Sevendust make music that in no way appeals to me. I guess I can't call them shit for that but it's tempting.

Maroon 5 have one good song from nine years ago, and Adam Levine is entertaining on The Voice.

Metal is not interesting to me and so I will skip Iced Earth.

I mistakenly thought Fun. had already been on the list for a second with all the talk about them, and then earlier today I realized they hadn't. "We Are Young" is a boring song, I haven't cared enough to listen to anything else.

Jonathan Coulton is fun, if kind of overrated by people who listen to nothing but geek music. But he has a solid assortment of songs that I like. Second-best artist in this group and it's not even hard.

Jimi Hendrix Experience are great, absolutely. Agreed they should be much higher.

I think I heard a Sevendust song once. Maybe. I don't know. I don't care to either.

Maroon 5 are entirely meh.

I listened to Iced Earth a lot when I was around 16/17 and I still dig about half of the Something Wicked This Way Comes album, but going back and listening to a lot of their stuff I find that it doesn't hold up at all. Just.. kinda generic power metal stuff. I much prefer Demons & Wizards to Iced Earth anyway.

Fun. are blah.

Coulton I've heard a few songs of, didn't mind. Not really something I'd seek out and listen to a lot though.

Yeah, definitely going to chime in on the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Fucking brilliant, perfect really, definitely one of my first loves in music. Hendrix had such a great sound with his guitar, he's definitely one of my favorite guitar players of all-time. Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding were also great, and sometimes overlooked because of Hendrix's reputation as a guitar player. Mitch Mitchell is among my favorite drummers of all-time.

The Melt Banana version is indeed godly. More the studio version than that live one, though;

Melt Banana albums are like gold dust to track down here in Japan. Nowhere does them at all. In the end I managed to get a few through UK ebay, sent from Jersey (near Skummy) of all places.

Not too fussed about anyone in that group. Hendrix is great, but not someone I ever really bother to listen to. I agree with VP, too, that the Experience were a great band, not just Jimi.

Sevendust are awful, the kind of metal that just does nothing for me.

Iced Earth are a bit silly. Again, they're in a subgenre that doesn't work for me - I don't like heavy metal being ridiculous and over-indulgent, full of concept albums and mock-Tolkein lyrics.

I don't like Maroon 5 at all.

I don't know Jonathan Coulton. Should I?

All I know of Fun. is that "We Are Young" song, which I really like whenever it comes on the radio, but I don't like it quite enough to bother buying the album.