EWB's Top 100 Artists of 2012

gunnar hendershow

Yeah that group doesn't do a lot for me. Like Skummy, I think Hendrix is awesome but isn't someone I listen to. Fun have that one really annoying song. And it's always fantastic to slap on that one Maroon 5 song when everyone's really drunk at a party, but otherwise they aren't anything special. Although Moves Like Jagger is/was insanely catchy.

Eh, well, at least it looks like we are getting rid of some of the bad ones first. I am still grieving that stuff like Maroon 5, Sevendust and Iced Earth made it to the list when other factually better artists like Elvis Costello, Earth, Aphex Twin, Neutral Milk Hotel, fuck even Queen, were left out. Get a better taste, board.

But at least Jimi Hendrix is there and he is good. Sevendust, Iced Earth and Maroon 5 are horrible, as you all know. I like fun. to an extent; I liked a few songs off of "Some Nights" and I liked "Aim and Ignite" and I need to check out The Format too. It is sad that "Some Nights" became their big breakthrough because their debut album is much better overall. I don't care at all about Jonathan Coulton and I always think he is part of The Mountain Goats, a band I equally don't care about but a band that will probably win because they for some reason are HUGE here on EWB.

Eh, well, at least it looks like we are getting rid of some of the bad ones first. I am still grieving that stuff like Maroon 5, Sevendust and Iced Earth made it to the list when other factually better artists like Elvis Costello, Earth, Aphex Twin, Neutral Milk Hotel, fuck even Queen, were left out.

You forgot the part where Neutral Milk Hotel is god-awful.

• Like 1

Eh, well, at least it looks like we are getting rid of some of the bad ones first. I am still grieving that stuff like Maroon 5, Sevendust and Iced Earth made it to the list when other factually better artists like Elvis Costello, Earth, Aphex Twin, Neutral Milk Hotel, fuck even Queen, were left out.

They really aren't, though. In the Aeroplane Over the Sea is overhyped surely, and I wasn't initially a fan but after listening to On Avery Island I came to terms with their goodness.

Yeah, agreeing with SRN on the Mountain Goats. Fun and inoffensive but I don't get all the love. Sevendust are terrible, probably listened to Iced Earth once and have no desire to again, but I don't remember what they are like at all. Only one on this part I like is Jimi Hendrix. When I graduated high school, I went home and loaded up Winamp which was on random. First song was Hendrix's "Freedom."

No.

Maroon 5 made the insanely stupid "Moves Like Jagger" - a song I love. Otherwise, meh.

Jonathan Coulton gets mentioned a lot by people I like, but I don't know his stuff.

The respect the Hendrix Experience and love what little of their stuff I've heard, but haven't heard enough.

The rest: meh.

Michael Jackson - He's not bad, but I only think he has a few good songs. The only reason I think some people rate him so highly is because he maintained a huge public profile, although not necessarily a positive one, for several decades.

Scott Walker - Never heard of him.

Fiona Apple - Ditto.

Alestorm - I'm partly responsible for them charting on here, but they must be someone's third favourite, since they were my #14.

Bob Dylan - Good lyricist, terrible singer. Horribly overrated by many people.

Hop Along - Never heard of them.

Carly Rae Jepsen - Contemporary artists often get a slight bias in their favour so this placing isn't as bad as some people are making it out to be.

The Specials - They're ok. Not something I'd consistently listen to though.

Four Year Strong - Considering I placed them at #3, most of their points come from me.

The Beach Boys - A few good songs, but I don't know much about them.

Evanescence - I'm indirectly responsible for them placing on the chart, as a whopping great 28 of their thirty points come from Arcadia (assuming I understand the points system correctly).

Lady Gaga - Shit.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - A friend of mine has even more contempt for Jimi Hendrix than I do for Bob Dylan. However, I am a fan of his guitar work.

Sevendust - Never heard of them. Are they obsessed with Dustin Rhodes?

Maroon 5 - I like their early stuff. All of their new stuff sounds terrible.

Iced Earth - Never heard of them.

FUN. - I've never heard of them and they look like that vimto advert.

Jonathon Coulton - Never heard of him.

The only reason I think some people rate him so highly is because he maintained a huge public profile

This logic is terrible. He got the huge public profile from consistently releasing music that people loved for two decades at least.

• Like 4

Neutral Milk Hotel are okay. I've never really got into them in any great deal, but I really only listened to Airplane a couple of times, didn't get the hype, then forgot about it. Partially my fault there I suppose.

Jimi Hendrix was lovely. He and his band were all good musicians, and they made three good albums, an amazing live album and various other cool bric a brac. Possibly the best frontman and performer ever, and an incredible interpreter of other people's songs. As much as I love a Jimi Hendrix song, I'm far more excited by a Jimi Hendrix cover.

I don't know Sevendust. I don't think they would be my kind of thing. But who knows?

Iced Earth - likewise

Maroon 5 have always been shit and Adam Levine has always been a twat. However, Moves Like Jagger is maddeningly catchy, and despite hating it at first, I now rather like it. The rest of their music can fuck off though. They are a bit like Train, in that both are MOR and shit and pop up and with a boring song from time to time. Still, Jagger was cool.

as I said before, fun are stupid and their singer has a stupid face and a stupid voice but why should I be surprised because The Format were shit. I don't have FUN listening to them. LOL

I don't know Jonathan Coulton.

The only reason I think some people rate him so highly is because he maintained a huge public profile

This logic is terrible. He got the huge public profile from consistently releasing music that people loved for two decades at least.

And he maintained it by being a creepy paedophile with a plastic face who burned an attendant's eyes out with a laser pen!