THQ files for bankruptcy.

Dan

It´s just very hard to sell games at a high price point, at least if you can´t bring up hype and keep it. Just look at Hitman Absolution. A few medicore to bad reviews and bam you can smack 50-66% discounts on that game roughly a month after release.

What did THQs WWE Titles have going for them that you just had to buy them in the past years? I dident follow them closely, but at most i saw classic wrestlers and "creative tools" getting the most attention. And with pro wrestling not getting to much attention anyway it´s harder to sell just on the license alone unlike 5-15 years ago.

• 1 month later...

Small update, but its rumored that Take Two, the parent company of 2K Sports, will be buying the WWE license

IGN, citing unidentified sources, says 2K Sports parent Take-Two Interactive will acquire the WWE license from THQ.

[update] A source with knowledge of the situation tells Kotaku that Take-Two will acquire the WWE license.

Earlier rumors had said EA Sports acquired the license directly from WWE before the auction of THQ's assets. EA Sports denies this. An EA Sports spokesman told Kotaku the label has no plans to get into WWE-licensed games.

The Twitter feed for the WWE series also just published this tweet:

WWE Games
@WWEgames

We don't have any details to share yet, but there WILL continue to be WWE Games. Stay tuned for more information and some exciting news!
10:48 PM - 23 Jan 13

Edit: Ah here's a list of what has been sold and who bought it

Here is a list of the winning bidders, the winning bid amounts, and the backup bidder (if any) for the assets sold during THQ's bankruptcy auction. The blog Distressed Debt Investing, which had been following the proceedings in person for some time, said no bids were made for Vigil Games, makers of the Darksiders series.
Relic Entertainment

Makers of Company of Heroes
Winning bidder: Sega, $26.6 million.
Backup: Zenimax Media, $26.3 million.
THQ Montreal

Makers of 1666 and Underdog, titles under development.
Winning bidder: Ubisoft, $2.5 million. No runner-up.
Evolve

(title in development at Turtle Rock Studios)
Winning bidder: Take-Two Interactive, $10.894 million.
Backup: Turtle Rock Studios, $250,000.
Volition, Inc.

Maker of Saints Row
Winning bidder: Koch Media, $22,312,925.
Backup: Ubisoft, $5.4 million.
Homefront

Released 2011; due for a sequel.
Winning bidder: Crytek. $544,218.
Metro

Series; due for the sequel Metro: Last Light.
Winning Bidder: Koch Media, $5,877,551
Backup: Ubisoft: $5.175 million.
South Park

License; South Park: The Stick of Truth is due for release March 5.
Winning bidder: Ubisoft, $3,265,306

So could this mean a giant overhaul for the WWE franchise? I'd love to see huge changes honestly, as much as I enjoy the "Smackdown" games, they're fucking stale. The Attitude Era was an awesome mode, but after that it felt like the same game I bought in 2010.

Well, Cory Ledesma's apparently been sacked. Don't know if that's a sign of things to come, but it's certainly a major development.

Considering MyCareer mode for NBA 2K13 is my favourite sports-related Single Player mode, I'm really excited to see 2K with the WWE license. Could be great for the Franchise.

Considering MyCareer mode for NBA 2K13 is my favourite sports-related Single Player mode, I'm really excited to see 2K with the WWE license. Could be great for the Franchise.

MyWrestler?

2k do a pretty good job of player customization as it is, So that would be intersting to see to say the very least.

Possibility of seeing a PC version aswell with MLB and NBA getting the treatment.

Hope this rumor comes to frutition.

MyWrestler?

2k do a pretty good job of player customization as it is, So that would be intersting to see to say the very least.

Possibility of seeing a PC version aswell with MLB and NBA getting the treatment.

Are you sure you are playing a 2K sports game? Because quite frankly the customization options in NBA 2K13 is utter gash and it has been the same for years.

Pretty sure the only thing that gets updated are shoes and maybe the addition of that Adidas power sleeve in 2k12.

MyWrestler?

Are you sure you are playing a 2K sports game? Because quite frankly the customization options in NBA 2K13 is utter gash and it has been the same for years.

Pretty sure the only thing that gets updated are shoes and maybe the addition of that Adidas power sleeve in 2k12.

To be fair I was comparing it to EA's Football games.

<_<

MyWrestler?

To be fair I was comparing it to EA's Football games.

<_<

I feel you got better customisation options in FIFA 13 than NBA 2k13 imo.

A LOT more hairstryles. Strong face creator if you know how to use it, and your created players don't look like every other created player.

The only thing that 2K has is the accesories choices, but I don't see Wayne Rooney running around with a Powersleeve or a knee brace.

NBA 2k13 and the whole series have been terrible in player creation and I would rather have WWE's current CAW system than anything that 2K has used in their sporting titles.

Bearing in mind, by necessity there are always going to be fewer customisation options available in a football or basketball game than for pro-wrestling, so it's not a very clear way of assessing what the "Create A Wrestler" mode would be like.

Bearing in mind, by necessity there are always going to be fewer customisation options available in a football or basketball game than for pro-wrestling, so it's not a very clear way of assessing what the "Create A Wrestler" mode would be like.

It's also worth remembering that 2K's purchase of the WWE rights doesn't serve as an iron clad guarantee that 2K Sports themselves will be tasked with developing future titles. They could always keep it with Yukes, who they'll have also presumably acquired, or they could even create their own studio. At this point, it's all a case of educated guesswork.

Take to has some good games under their belt, i´ll be watching. Would be nice to get a interesting wrestling game again after many years. Or will it still just be yukes games published by the new publisher?

I am surprised that Vince dident pick all of this mess up and just employed the team himself. They selfpublish their DVDs, right? Not only in wrestling but also in Movies that they shoot themselfs. Should be lot´s of extra money in this if they cut the publisher. (got this idea because i read somewere that Vince had to stand for 40 million of THQs looses, or something like that)

Edited by Michael Matzat on a Plane