The New Kit Thread

At least they have a matching red. Bet the guy who sold his season ticket is kicking himself.

Actually, he's complaining that they've been given a choice of colour for the shorts, but not the shirt - "it should be blue!"

Does it matter? You are in the Premiership

I don't know a lot of Cardiff supporters but you sound like the sanest one Baddar.

That's exactly their argument though - they disagree with the club selling it's soul to achieve a place in the lucrative Premier League. There's talk of renaming them the Cardiff Dragons. I don't really blame them for boycotting the club.

I don't know a lot of Cardiff supporters but you sound like the sanest one Baddar.

That's exactly their argument though - they disagree with the club selling it's soul to achieve a place in the lucrative Premier League. There's talk of renaming them the Cardiff Dragons. I don't really blame them for boycotting the club.

I agree. Being in the Premiership isn't the be all and end all.

I really don't get the fuss. Clubs change kit colours sometimes. The Cardiff fans disappointed about the change from blue should be livid that they're not lining up in the brown and gold they wore upon their formation. Teams change names sometimes as well, and have to put up with terrible kits. I don't think some nebulous idea about losing the soul of the club is enough of an argument against the benefits it could bring. If Cardiff fans want a protest, have one against your shirt manufacturer for using sweatshop labour, or something worthwhile like that.

The club is nicknamed the Bluebirds and has played in blue for over 100 years. I don't see why it is a shock that some of their fans found it outrageous.

If my team suddenly started playing in blue and white stripes I'd go absolutely mental and I wouldn't be the only one.

I'm not surprised it's happened, just the level of discontent bemuses me. If my team said 'OK we're not playing in red anymore we're playing in blue because CHANGE" it would annoy me, but not to the extent I'd attend a rally and tear up my season ticket. But Cardiff are changing their kit colour for well-meaning financial reasons, and it just seems a bit petty to me to react to that with anything more than a quiet grumble.

But well meaning financial reasons aren't why you support a football club. Great for the owner, but why as a fan do I care? Bearing in mind I'm a thirty year old who has seen my team go from almost winning in the top flight to almost dropping to the third tier (cry me a river...) and still go every week, the vague possibility of a shiny new player isn't enough for me to accept the club throwing away its identity. When stadiums and kits are plastered in advertising slogans, the colours are pretty much all that's left these days.

• Like 2

I don't know, maybe it's just different kinds of fandom. I support Charlton despite having no connection to London whatsoever, as a contrary seven year old I just wanted to follow someone different to my friends and picked them at random from the Premier League table. The reason I've kept supporting them is a mixture of childhood nostalgia, the entertaining last decade we've had, and the fact that it's a genuinely friendly football club that I look forward to visiting or travelling with (in contrast, my Dad supports Coventry, and they loathe themselves so viciously I've felt quite uncomfortable watching them play once or twice.) If the kit changed colour tomorrow because it brings some extra-revenue to the club I really wouldn't care. It isn't why I follow them and it isn't why I developed an emotional attachment to the team. Maybe I'm unique in this and fair enough, I suppose, if so, but stuff like saying you love your club so much you can't bear the thought of them changing their shirt colour and then proving this by tearing up your season ticket and boycotting them just seems mad to me. If it's a Wimbledon/MK Dons situation, fair enough, but over a colour?

But well meaning financial reasons aren't why you support a football club. Great for the owner, but why as a fan do I care? Bearing in mind I'm a thirty year old who has seen my team go from almost winning in the top flight to almost dropping to the third tier (cry me a river...) and still go every week, the vague possibility of a shiny new player isn't enough for me to accept the club throwing away its identity. When stadiums and kits are plastered in advertising slogans, the colours are pretty much all that's left these days.

You old

I don't support Cardiff, but the majority of my friends that do, have stuck with them through the change to red.