Star Trek TV

Your Mom

ok having finished all four seasons back-to-back, i definitely feel like Season 4 was the strongest.  It was definitely the most consistent. Maybe some of the other seasons had higher Highs, but they also had lower Lows. Season four felt consistently good. I actually quite enjoyed the Arrival rip-off ending.

For Season 5 i would quite like them to bring back the idea of an actual malevolent enemy or species. Seasons three and four were both based around a neutral or benevolent entity which unknowingly had galactic influence with a superpower it didn't know it had. They were really very similar on that level. I'd like to Discovery to find their own borg/xindi/dominion, and being 900 years in the future, with unlimited access to the galaxy, and the ability to exfiltrate through the galactic barrier, it would be pretty easy to introduce a new bad guy. I thought that's where they were going with the Emerald Chain, but displacing an existing threat feels different than overcoming a new wave of an unknown enemy.

enjoying lower decks. i think my favourite thing about it is how the people over at memory-alpha, the star trek wiki, have all these super serious articles that then segue into fuckin nonsense. i bet some of the admins over there had a fuckin shitfit when they realised they'd have to canonise all this bullshit. it's amazing.

Armus waited for someone to arrive for the rescue of the two shuttlecraft passengers, in order to sadistically torture the rescuers. After killing Lieutenant Natasha Yar with an energy discharge when she tried to walk to the downed shuttle, Armus expected to feel amusement. [...] As Armus sat, wishing it had someone to torture, it was surprised to hear a mysterious voice called out its name, then told that it looked "like a big bag of crap;" this angered Armus, and it demanded that they show themselves. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i dont think i rate SNW as highly as the social media nerds who call it a return to form or whatever. This freaky friday episode was just... nothing to me. why would you freaky friday a character we know nothing about? Both of whom are just logical. surely you would FF two people with contrasting personalities? Also the manhunt thing felt weird and tacked on. the emotional resolution with the zebra aliens was also a bit of a let down.

David Warner, who played that one dude in Star Trek V, Chancellor Gorkon in Star Trek VI and Gul Madred in "Chain of Command" has passed away. 

2 minutes ago, Mick said:

David Warner, who played that one dude in Star Trek V, Chancellor Gorkon in Star Trek VI and Gul Madred in "Chain of Command" has passed away. 

There are four lights.

• 1 month later...

I'm watching the Orville for the first time. I'm enjoying it, but some episodes feel like they mirror classic star trek TNG episodes a little too closely. Like some of them are literally just the same plot but with better special effects and more dick jokes. Like i get that it's a tribute to TNG, but some of them are just copy and pastes.

The Orville's Shadow Realm, which i'm watching now, is just TNG's Genesis mixed with TNG's Identity Crisis. 

I'm not sure if it's very intentional, or if it's just that there are so many Star Trek episodes it's difficult not to mimic them.

• 2 weeks later...

I started to watch Lower Decks, so far I'm 4 episodes in.

Does Mariner ever get less annoying?

The episode I just watched, she keeps yawning during a mission briefing.  Her entire character is "I know everything, I'm better then everyone".  I don't like her at all

• 4 months later...

Star Trek: Prodigy confuses me. 

Don't get me wrong, I know its mostly focused on kids, but its entirely enjoyable for adults.  But some things in the beginning confuse me

5 hours ago, Lint said:

Star Trek: Prodigy confuses me. 

Don't get me wrong, I know its mostly focused on kids, but its entirely enjoyable for adults.  But some things in the beginning confuse me

Well, because it was for kids, I just didn't bother to watch it. Unless it's "for kids" in the same sense as Clone Wars or Rebels...