Star Trek TV

Your Mom

13 minutes ago, Colly said:

To counteract that terrible news, S3 of Discovery is on Netflix from today (I think).

Yep, first episode is there. I might wait til next week seeing as its a Part 1 of 2 type thing. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

Troi is a Spurs fan.

IMG_20201016_005640.jpg

I remember when I first heard talking out of character. I was surprised by her cockney accent as I had no idea she was even English before that.

Did you guys watch the DS9 documentary where they storyboarded the first episode of series eight? It was pretty wild.

Also I really enjoyed Discovery new episode. Wish they dropped both parts together though.

• Like 1

Yeah, the outline they came up with in What We Left Behind was pretty interesting.

I suppose if we do get a DS9 reboot then Garak and Bashir can finally hook up.

4 hours ago, K said:

Did you guys watch the DS9 documentary where they storyboarded the first episode of series eight? It was pretty wild.

Also I really enjoyed Discovery new episode. Wish they dropped both parts together though.

The storyboard was very cool as everything and everyone had moved on as things would have done. I dunno how you run a whole series/3 season arc, but you could have the former DS9 as the Bajoran Mecca (as in their storboard) and something kicking off that required a level of Starfleet support returning.

It would be important to get some new cast in there though alongside the "these are the old guys who know the place best". Kira would be an EASY return, you could get Sisko's return being a "gift" from the Prophets to help protect the wormhole, or something. Jake could easily return because of his father's appearance.

Getting O'Brien back makes sense as he could be needed to kickstart parts of the station that have been left to gather dust with it just being a religious pilgrimmage.

DS9 would suit modern TV as it ran long arcs and multi-parters anyway. I'd be more excited for a DS9 return than any other Star Trek return. It NEEDS Ira Steven Behr running it, but he's always seemed up for it anyway.

On 09/10/2020 at 12:35, K said:

wish we could get lowerdecks in the uk :(

I think you'd really dig it; it seems to have a few target audiences, one being fans who will get all the injokes and references buried in it, people who enjoy jjtrek, and people who like the Rick and Morty, zany hijinks kind of humor. I was very meh for eight of the episodes but there are a couple good ones in there, and you can tell the people who wrote it spend time on the Star Trek wiki cause it is loaded with inside baseball that usually draws a smirk.

On the contrary, I thought the first episode of Disco3 was surprisingly good! Still more jjtrek then I really want but it satisfied and intrigued. I like Book, he reminds me of Rom. And I am trying to figure out where I know that Orien dude from. Very interested to see what happens next.

On 17/10/2020 at 07:14, Hobo said:

Yeah, the outline they came up with in What We Left Behind was pretty interesting.

I suppose if we do get a DS9 reboot then Garak and Bashir can finally hook up.

Interesting?  I thought it was trash honestly.  Kira as First Minister?  She never really showed any interest in the political side of the Bajoran religion.  It'd be more believable if she served as Kai since she was very devoted to the religion.  Even then, though, I'd find it hard to believe since she seemed to be more dedicated to the military.

• 2 weeks later...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Prodigy

Star Trek: Prodigy is an upcoming American animated television series created by Kevin and Dan Hageman for Nickelodeon. Kate Mulgrew stars as Kathryn Janeway, reprising her role from Star Trek: Voyager. 

A group of "lawless" teenagers use an abandoned starship to search for adventure.

375px-Star_Trek_Prodigy_logo.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm into season 4 of DS9 now and there have been plenty of episodes along the way that I have really really liked. It is without doubt my favourite part of the ST universe, my favourite "ship" (well....station), my favourite crew. I love the shades of grey and the grubbiness. I love how that when Worf arrives and tries to get all "good boy scout" by getting all up in Quark, Sisko instead pretty much tells him to judge Quark on Ferengi moral codes and not Starfleet/Human. The Cardassians and Bajorans are rich and interesting and the relationship between the two races and Humans is nuanced and always evolving. This is without even getting into the Dominion.

Anyway, all that said and done, tonight I just watched "Our Man Bashir" and it left me with a huge smile on my face and warm feeling in my soul throughout. It's rare that TV does that. I LOVE that episode.

Garak + Bashir — More “Our Man Bashir” screen caps – all Garak in...

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine – Our Man Bashir (Review) | the m0vie blog

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Rewatch: “Our Man Bashir” | Tor.com

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

I'm into season 4 of DS9 now and there have been plenty of episodes along the way that I have really really liked. It is without doubt my favourite part of the ST universe, my favourite "ship" (well....station), my favourite crew. I love the shades of grey and the grubbiness. I love how that when Worf arrives and tries to get all "good boy scout" by getting all up in Quark, Sisko instead pretty much tells him to judge Quark on Ferengi moral codes and not Starfleet/Human. The Cardassians and Bajorans are rich and interesting and the relationship between the two races and Humans is nuanced and always evolving. This is without even getting into the Dominion.

Anyway, all that said and done, tonight I just watched "Our Man Bashir" and it left me with a huge smile on my face and warm feeling in my soul throughout. It's rare that TV does that. I LOVE that episode.

Garak + Bashir — More “Our Man Bashir” screen caps – all Garak in...

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine – Our Man Bashir (Review) | the m0vie blog

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Rewatch: “Our Man Bashir” | Tor.com

the Bashir centered episodes are VERY hit or miss.  You get some good ones, like Our Man Bashir (I can't remember the rest of the episode names), or the one where they want to base the new EMH off of him, or the one where he is trying to cure a planet of a plague given to them by The Dominion.  On the lower side, there is the one where he gets a mental attack by an alien.  They dress him up in old person makeup and its just a huge miss all around.  Just not a great episode

Edit: This also reminds me, I'm due for my yearly DS9 binge...

2 hours ago, Lint said:

the Bashir centered episodes are VERY hit or miss.  You get some good ones, like Our Man Bashir (I can't remember the rest of the episode names), or the one where they want to base the new EMH off of him, or the one where he is trying to cure a planet of a plague given to them by The Dominion.  On the lower side, there is the one where he gets a mental attack by an alien.  They dress him up in old person makeup and its just a huge miss all around.  Just not a great episode

Edit: This also reminds me, I'm due for my yearly DS9 binge...

Star Trek are never good with old person makeup. At least they didn't force Cirroc Lofton under any in The Visitor (which I didn't think I would like but fatherhood has softened me and I had tears in my eyes at a few points).

I read that it's generally regarded that Our Man Bashir is where public opinion swung positively on the character. I liked him in series 3 to be fair (and some s2 episodes) and I think he has interesting relationships with Garak, O'Brien and Dax. Of course he was written teeeeerrrribly in season 1, as everyone agrees.