Star Trek TV

Your Mom

On 15/03/2023 at 22:54, DFF said:

I've really been enjoying this season of Picard tbh. Much more of an easier watch than the previous two seasons, and the callbacks / cameos have been fun so far. 

While I remain fairly mixed on it as a whole I think this has been the best season of the show. 

I do like Captain Shaw. I think he's one of the better new characters that have been introduced in Picard.

On 28/03/2023 at 05:21, K said:

im enjoying picard but this season is basically impenetrable to new viewers. I had to pause episode six like three times to explain something to my wife.

You haven't already made her watch all of previous Trek cannon? :ph34r:

14 minutes ago, DFF said:

You haven't already made her watch all of previous Trek cannon? :ph34r:

She's watched Discovery, Short Treks, Picard and Strange New Worlds. But we don't have the time to commit to 500 hours of TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT. Let alone TAS, the movies, the new movies, Prodigy, Below Decks.

I've seen them all, but I can't make her do it.

Like, she's still enjoying it, but how do you even begin to explain a sentient sherlock holmes character. and then we got into the whole real-life legal issues they had with the character. It was a journey.

It does make me begrudge those that argue this is real trek because of how self referential it is. I find it really tiresome tbh. Threads woven between series are great, but huge great patches cut and sewn in is something different. And I know that Picard is essentially TNG seasons 8, 9 and 10, but that show ended thirty years ago, you've gotta assume some people are coming in cold.

Out of interest, which were the parts you had to explain further or the context of? 

The biggest one was Moriarty, that one was unavoidable, and then the second biggest one was how this new data was seemingly comprised of Data, B4, Lore, Soong and Lal, and who those people were (although admittedly a couple of those were brought up in Picard), I also had to explain why The Bounty was significant, but she prolly could have got that from context if we kept going before she stopped to ask. I thought the flashback to the whistling was a bit weird as well, and my wife didn't immediately recognize riker from 40 years ago as the same person. Edit: Oh, also a quick reminder of section 31.

The most recent episode really leaned into the references. The stuff in the fleet museum sat a little better than the stuff at the Daystrom Institute.

I love Brent Spiner but this is the second time they've revived Data in someway. I guess they cant just leave him out.

I think more than the references I feel like the show lays it on a bit thick with how important people from the main cast of TNG are.

The revival series of shows Ive enjoyed the most have been Twin Peaks: The Return and Mystery Science Theatre 3000. Neither of which, in their own ways, really ever leaned into nostalgia, aren't overly self referential or reverential about what they're following. With Twin Peaks was very much thumbing its nose at the idea.

I think those shows fit a bit more with what i want from a revived show than Picard does.

the easter eggs in the background were fine, it was just the sledgehammer approach to some of it was a bit much. like trek fans would have been ecstatic if Riker walked past a cage and there was a flying parasite in it. But instead we had to have Kirk's body, AND data's body, AND a tribble, AND the genesis device, AND some are saying Archers body, AND the Bounty, AND voyager, AND the NX-01, AND the 1701A, AND whatever like, just chill.

• 3 weeks later...
Spoiler

With one episode remaining, if there was ever a time for Chief O'Brien to nut up and become the most important person in Starfleet History, and history remembers him, this it it :shifty: .

I did not like that episode of Picard.

Spoiler
Spoiler

I was getting into Picard a bit in the last couple of episodes but I did not like this one. The Borg again. We had a whole season of building up the changelings and having a generally excellent antagonist in Amanda Plummer - only to go right back into The Borg again.

There was part of me hoping that when Jack went off he was going to end up at the Great Link or that when he was he said "a wormhole" he was actually going to stumble across a wormhole to the Gamma Quadrant and the Jem'Hadar would show up.  But no. We got the Borg. Again.

I've enjoyed seeing the TNG crew back together. Michael Dorn and Jonathan Frakes have been delightful the whole series. I wasn't a huge fan of bringing Data in in Season 1 of Picard, killing him again, and then bringing him back here but I was able to let it go because I like Brent Spiner. I much prefer this "it's Data but he's in an older body" idea. I kinda wish they'd just done this with Data in season 1 because it is fun. I also did like like that Geordi rebuilt their Enterprise. I feel like had it not been an 11th-hour swerve into more Borg I'd have liked it better.

But also Picard cums borg genetic material, I guess?

14 hours ago, Hobo said:

I did not like that episode of Picard.

Hide contents
Spoiler

I was getting into Picard a bit in the last couple of episodes but I did not like this one. The Borg again. We had a whole season of building up the changelings and having a generally excellent antagonist in Amanda Plummer - only to go right back into The Borg again.

There was part of me hoping that when Jack went off he was going to end up at the Great Link or that when he was he said "a wormhole" he was actually going to stumble across a wormhole to the Gamma Quadrant and the Jem'Hadar would show up.  But no. We got the Borg. Again.

I've enjoyed seeing the TNG crew back together. Michael Dorn and Jonathan Frakes have been delightful the whole series. I wasn't a huge fan of bringing Data in in Season 1 of Picard, killing him again, and then bringing him back here but I was able to let it go because I like Brent Spiner. I much prefer this "it's Data but he's in an older body" idea. I kinda wish they'd just done this with Data in season 1 because it is fun. I also did like like that Geordi rebuilt their Enterprise. I feel like had it not been an 11th-hour swerve into more Borg I'd have liked it better.

But also Picard cums borg genetic material, I guess?

I feel like it was always going to come down to them tbh. The explanation also clear up some small plotholes that were left lingering from the original show. 

This season does make me realise more than ever that I wish we had a DS9 version. I'd gobble up every single cliche, guest star and overused DS9 plot.

Avery Brooks is retired and said he'd never return though and Rene A, Louise F and Aron E are sadly no longer with us so there would be some gaps but I'd be well up for Worf to act as a bridge into it, ending up on DS9 with Kira and Quark still there, before O'Brien, Bashir and Ezri Dax join him and Kira on the little D for some reason.

Make sure Jake is involved in some way. Include a Morn plot point, Rom, Keiko, Garak being their undercover contact for something....

I would love it so much, but I feel that any further nostalgia series would probably just jump to Voyager as DS9 has always been shoved to the background.

I'd like to see them make a new show set on a new Enterprise with all new characters set in the same universe as TNG. Then they can have guest spots for whoever they want if they want to.

Im at the point where id rather one or two episodes guest spots from old characters than watching the characters from 25-35 years ago  for a full series. I love Patrick Stewart but Ive kinda hated watching him at 82 in this setting. 

What Im describing is probably what lower decks but live action. I don't know as ive not seen any of it.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2023 at 10:11, Hobo said:

I'd like to see them make a new show set on a new Enterprise with all new characters set in the same universe as TNG. Then they can have guest spots for whoever they want if they want to.

Im at the point where id rather one or two episodes guest spots from old characters than watching the characters from 25-35 years ago  for a full series. I love Patrick Stewart but Ive kinda hated watching him at 82 in this setting. 

What Im describing is probably what lower decks but live action. I don't know as ive not seen any of it.

Make sure you watch through the credits of the last episode of Picard, it might give somewhat of a hint to a future show.

• Thanks 1