Star Trek TV

Your Mom

I've finished Picard and ... meh.

There was a point where I thought this could have been pretty fun but the last two episodes just killed it stone dead for me.

23 hours ago, Hobo said:

I've finished Picard and ... meh.

There was a point where I thought this could have been pretty fun but the last two episodes just killed it stone dead for me.

You have less emotions than a Pre-Generations Data

• Haha 3

I'm doing a bit of a Next Generation watchthrough (and probably for the first time, I definitely watched it when it was on but not religiously), and I'm only seven episodes in and they've already done "space virus that makes everyone bone" and "planet of attractive but entirely white people who will happily bone anyone". 90s nerds were a bit stereotypical weren't they, all I can think of is Lister's retort to Rimmer wanting to find a sexy alien who'll say "show me more of this Earth thing called kissing".

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Colly said:

I'm doing a bit of a Next Generation watchthrough (and probably for the first time, I definitely watched it when it was on but not religiously), and I'm only seven episodes in and they've already done "space virus that makes everyone bone" and "planet of attractive but entirely white people who will happily bone anyone". 90s nerds were a bit stereotypical weren't they, all I can think of is Lister's retort to Rimmer wanting to find a sexy alien who'll say "show me more of this Earth thing called kissing".

It's pretty hit and miss until season three. 

7 hours ago, Colly said:

A lot of those early TNG scripts were holdovers from the cancelled Star Trek Phase 2 project in the 80s

I enjoyed the Picard finale, although mostly the part after the threat was over. I'm at an age now where nostalgia of something I loved from childhood just feels so lovely that I'm willing to forgive stuff in order for that fuzzy hit. I know that's not necessarily good for "the art", but when it comes to sci-fi I just love it. 

Spoiler

The bar / poker scene with the crew just looked so legit like the cast truly enjoying their time together and riffing off each other and I loved that so so much. 

I dunno if I like Jack enough to enjoy him as a major part of a "Legacy" project, but it's a project I'm interested in watching nonetheless.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Mick said:

I love that apparently Boimler and Mariner are going to show up. 

Theres been a SNW/LD crossover announced for awhile now.  Some of the SNW characters will also appear on LD

I really think that once a season, Strange New World should do a "Pike tries to change his fate only Future Pike shows up and tells him about Spock's latest horrible death."

Eventually I think their conversation would be like this: 

ADMIRAL PIKE: Chris, I get it, the wheel chair and one-light yes two-light no thing is creepy, but you gotta stop.
CAPTAIN PIKE: Why, how does Spock die this time? Gets hit by a truck in 1930? I kill him during his Pon Farr? Oh, I know, the Earps and Doc Holiday gun him down because an ensign doesn't pick a fight with the Earps?
ADMIRAL PIKE : Well actually...
CAPTAIN PIKE: A long lost space probe absorbs him instead of the bald chick? A genetic superman returns and is pissed off?
ADMIRAL PIKE Actually, Spock was supposed to die there.
CAPTAIN PIKE: Yeah, I know. You realized you could've stolen the Enterprise to get his somehow reincarnated body back. ADMIRAL PIKE: What's going on is...
CAPTAIN PIKE: An alien probe looking for extinct whales except Spock botched his calculations and we end up incinerated in the sun?
ADMIRAL PIKE: So, Spock asked God what he needs with a starship.
CAPTAIN PIKE: ...........What.

I started watching Star Trek: The Original Series. I've watched about 12 episodes (including the original pilot). I think I saw the JJ Abrams movies but I honestly don't remember anything about them.

TOS is fun. I like Shatner way more than I thought I might. I found the first few episodes repetitive but find they are getting better at creating some variation. 

10 hours ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

I started watching Star Trek: The Original Series. I've watched about 12 episodes (including the original pilot). I think I saw the JJ Abrams movies but I honestly don't remember anything about them.

TOS is fun. I like Shatner way more than I thought I might. I found the first few episodes repetitive but find they are getting better at creating some variation. 

Shatner is better than he gets credit for, I think. TOS is a good show on the whole, though it's like the reverse of all other Trek's quality wise - it starts great and gets... less good. Almost all other Trek shows are the reverse. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Colly said:

This "cancel and remove from existence" thing is a new low, I was still planning to watch Willow eventually. 

Its like being back in the days when the BBC used to tape over shows to save money

• Like 1