Star Trek TV

Your Mom

6 minutes ago, Mick said:

Well, because it was for kids, I just didn't bother to watch it. Unless it's "for kids" in the same sense as Clone Wars or Rebels...

I caught up on it after all the episodes were out. The two halves of the season feel really different. I enjoyed the last half more, with the crew interacting with more familiar Star Trek characters and situations. 

On 06/02/2023 at 10:14, Mick said:

Well, because it was for kids, I just didn't bother to watch it. Unless it's "for kids" in the same sense as Clone Wars or Rebels...

Its a kids show, but I wouldn't really say its for kids.  Its got the general Star Trek theme of exploration, learning, self development etc...

The thing I had a hard time with was it starts off on the Delta Quadrant (I'm assuming, since there is a Kazon)

But one of the main characters is a Tellarite.  Tellaraites are a TOS species.  They should not be in the Delta Quadrant

4 hours ago, Lint said:

Its a kids show, but I wouldn't really say its for kids.  Its got the general Star Trek theme of exploration, learning, self development etc...

The thing I had a hard time with was it starts off on the Delta Quadrant (I'm assuming, since there is a Kazon)

But one of the main characters is a Tellarite.  Tellaraites are a TOS species.  They should not be in the Delta Quadrant

Tellarites are one of the four founding races of the Federation and have as much right as Tuvok to be there 😠

They explain why Jankom Pog is so far from home, and why he doesn't know much about the Federation. 

Spoiler

Jankom was born before the Federation, and was on a long-range sleeper ship. The computer on board woke him up so he could repair damages to the ship, but he wasn't able to return to sleep.

12 hours ago, Toe said:

They explain why Jankom Pog is so far from home, and why he doesn't know much about the Federation. 

Hide contents

Jankom was born before the Federation, and was on a long-range sleeper ship. The computer on board woke him up so he could repair damages to the ship, but he wasn't able to return to sleep.

Ahh...must've missed that line

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/02/2023 at 11:18, Hobo said:

oh yeah, Picard is back. I'll probably try watching an episode or two and drop off again as I did with Season 2. :shifty:

So I watched Season 3 Ep 1 and.... I'll probably watch Episode 2 but ... I dunno, it felt a little clunky and not totally like Star Trek. This is a problem I've had with pretty much all the Star Trek that I've watched since they started making more.

However, Jonathan Frakes almost made it worthwhile. He's clearly having a ball. He looks great and he's just a delight to watch on screen. I just feel like Patrick Stewart is really just too old to be doing this stuff now though. 

I think it's great, Star Trek is more than just one thing. People have this idea that all Star Trek needs to just be TNG over and over again, but Star Trek is just a place where you can set different kinds of stories. Strange New Worlds is your classic Sci Fi explorers, deep space nine was a war story, Lower Decks is an adult animated comedy, prodigy is a kids show, picard is a grizzly detective series, discovery is an anthology series. TOS was famously just a western in space. Star Trek is just an umbrella for all of it. Like you could feasibly have an ER style hospital soap opera set at star fleet medical, you could have a legal drama at the JAG office, you could have a espionage thriller at Section 31. Star Trek is just the place these stories happen.

• Like 1

I get that. I love DS9 more than any other Trek show. Ive not seen Lower Decks but given whose in it and the bits I've seen I'd probably enjoy it

When I say it doesn't feel like Star Trek, i mean that to me Picard doesn't feel like its always in the same world as the 90s trek that preceded it.

There are endless nods to that world but they feel more like they're desgined to be easter eggs. I think it was someone in this thread that mentioned how costuming in Picard just seems to have people in clothes that look like modern street clothes as opposed to the civilian outfits you were used to seeing in previous Trek. It doesn't (to me anyway) feel like a lived in world. It feels like a show with actors and sets and props.

I dropped out of season 2 pretty quickly but the only time i really felt like season 1 got close to feeling like Star Trek to me was toward the end with the hitherto unknown Soong character.

I felt with the other seasons of Picard that it was generally a lot less interesting when Patrick Stewart wasn't on screen.

Last night watching the first episode of the new series I started to feel like he wasn't even that interesting to watch anymore. I found myself really enjoying having Jonathan Frakes there. Outside of Orla Brady's character I don't know if there's any other characters in the show I really enjoy.

Overall i don't feel it. I don't feel like the show fits into the world of the other shows. I think its a bit ham fisted at times with exposition. Its failed to really introduce anything interesting. 

And its not that i dont like reboots. I loved Twin Peaks: The Return and I love the new Mystery Science Theatre.

This stuff just rings a little empty to me. I'll probably watch a couple of more episodes of Picard but I'll probably not finish it.

I feel happy for the much maligned Enterprise that it will finish with 33 episodes more that Disco. Vindication, or something.

I was a big Disco fan at the start but by the end of S3 I wasn't fussed about S4. I know it's the Burnham show but I did a post back then about how they could have allowed other characters to shine when it would have made sense to do it, but they always shoehorned Burnham in.

As for Picard 3, people are making good points about Worf...

Spoiler

His attack on the Ferengi and his posse was without honour. Someone interspersed clips from TNG and DS9 about Klingon honour and it just showed the scene up, which is a shame as I am enjoying the season so far, but that scene felt jarring.

I've liked Discovery since the start, but it's definitely been a very hit-or-miss show. I wasn't a fan of the time jump, and season 3 in particular wasn't very fun. I do think season 2 was incredible, and season 4 had some good moments. I'm excited to see what they do for a finale. 

I actually prefer it post-time jump tbh. But yeah, one more season to round it off seems about right. I'm guessing we might start hearing more about the Section 31 show on the back of this and Picard both ending. 

I watched episodes 2 and 3 of Picard in the last few days. I didn't enjoy episode 3 as much (outside of Worf really) but I don't think that was helped by the fact the episode opened with awkward-looking digitally de-aged Picard and Riker.

I think it was much the same in Season 1 of Picard but Marina Sirtis really seems unable to keep up the Troi accent anymore.  I also seem to remember her being a bit wobbly on it when she turned up in Voyager too. It's just very funny to hear her start a sentence sounding like Troi, then the next one has a little American twang to it and then the next one has her natural accent peaking through.

I've really been enjoying this season of Picard tbh. Much more of an easier watch than the previous two seasons, and the callbacks / cameos have been fun so far.