Star Trek TV

Your Mom

On 14/02/2020 at 21:59, Your Mom's Side Chick said:

I decided to try Discovery. Is it any good? I've heard mixed reviews

I really rate it. Series 2 is better than Series 1 of course but it makes Next Gen (which I had been watching through) feel horrifically aged.

Some don't like it 'cos of the lore that is has to skirt across and some don't like it because it has far too many women and a gay couple and an autistic character, but that comes with the territory these days. It IS Michael Burnham-centred but I can roll with that. Some struggle.

Some don't like that it goes against the ST vibe of hope and gay space communism or whatever, but to me it feels like the birthing pains of a planetary force trying to make and shift the rules as they go along.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, K said:

also i knew it was coming anyway, but

Hide contents

the amount of times they went our of their way to say 'Him' or 'He' at the end before beaming 7of9 aboard, like they were trying to deflect your expectations or whatever. it was pretty annoying

i really thought the reveal was akin to a celebrity cameo in The Simpsons

On 15/02/2020 at 23:47, K said:

also i knew it was coming anyway, but

Hide contents

the amount of times they went our of their way to say 'Him' or 'He' at the end before beaming 7of9 aboard, like they were trying to deflect your expectations or whatever. it was pretty annoying

Spoiler

The special guest star at the start with the credits ruined that reveal for me.

I loved that episode. Big time spoilers below.

Spoiler

I knew it was Icheb almost immediately, so that was definitely a shock. And I was just as sad at the end when Seven still went through with getting her revenge. All the scenes inside the bar with Picard and Rios were a lot of fun, and really necessary in an otherwise heavy episode.

Hell, I completely forgot about the part with Raffi and her son!

Season 6 of DS9 is the best season of any Trek series. Currently rewatching it and it amazes me how one little line can lead to a big payoff in the next episode and how many of their best episodes are in this season.

That said as much as people gush over In The Pale Moonlight I think the best episode in the whole show is The Visitor.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 9 to 5 said:

Season 6 of DS9 is the best season of any Trek series. Currently rewatching it and it amazes me how one little line can lead to a big payoff in the next episode and how many of their best episodes are in this season.

That said as much as people gush over In The Pale Moonlight I think the best episode in the whole show is The Visitor.

I think those 2 episodes are tied for my favourite Star Trek episodes of all time. I love DS9. I know it isn't a main plot-line but Nog's story arc and character development are one of my favourite across all Star Trek series.

Also latest Picard:-

Spoiler

Just when you thought the accents were over out comes Frenchman Picard :lol:. I liked this episode. I was surprised to see they re-cast Bruce Maddox for just a one off appearance. A lot of little Easter eggs throughout that were cool to see as well.

I didn't find this weeks episode all that interesting. I thought Patrick Stewart putting on a silly french accent and an eye patch was funny but... other than that? It kinda felt more like Farscape or some other late 90s/early 2000s sci-fi than Star Trek.

I am still very much struggling to find myself caring about any other character not named Jean Luc Picard.

7 hours ago, Hobo said:

Hide contents

I didn't find this weeks episode all that interesting. I thought Patrick Stewart putting on a silly french accent and an eye patch was funny but... other than that? It kinda felt more like Farscape or some other late 90s/early 2000s sci-fi than Star Trek.

I am still very much struggling to find myself caring about any other character not named Jean Luc Picard.

Except his two Romulan friends who were left behind.  I really liked them

• Like 1

Also loved that (Spoiler for Stardust City Rag)

The...doctor?...was having trouble finding Icheb's cortical node in the opening.  A good callback to Voyager

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 20:38, 9 to 5 said:

I would say The Visitor is an excellent 'concept' episode (I apologise for that unhelpfully vague name, but I don't know how else to distinguish ST eps that are less about Stuff Happening and more about taking one particular bit of sci-fi and running with it), and it has always stuck out to me as DS9's equivalent to The Inner Light from TNG.

Whereas I'm sure the enduring popularity of In The Pale Moonlight is centred around how 'dirty'/un-Star-Trek it is...  I do find it funny that this episode is loved and similar elements of Discovery are bemoaned.

Anyway, so far as DS9 season 6 goes, it always comes back to Sacrifices of Angels for me. It's basically a season finale in everything but name, wrapping up the enjoyable Occupation arc while also setting the characters of Dukat and Damar in motion for their pivotal roles in the remainder of the series. 

Season 7, Bashir really was a creepy fucker with Sarina wasn't he? Falling "in love" with someone who had only just been able to talk and express herself for the first time whist also wanting Dax.

And I have said it before and I will say it again they really should have paired Dax and Jake up in this season. You could see signs of their chemistry at the start of the season and it would have been a very interesting change and dynamic with Sisko and his old friend.

Bashir always and that had the capacity to be awkward and creepily horny.

His most healthy relationships were with Garak and O'Brien.

On 05/03/2020 at 02:24, 9 to 5 said:

Season 7, Bashir really was a creepy fucker with Sarina wasn't he? Falling "in love" with someone who had only just been able to talk and express herself for the first time whist also wanting Dax.

And I have said it before and I will say it again they really should have paired Dax and Jake up in this season. You could see signs of their chemistry at the start of the season and it would have been a very interesting change and dynamic with Sisko and his old friend.

From memory, Bashir was consistently a creepy fucker the whole way through. That coupled with his superiority complex made me dread any Bashir-centric episodes unless O'Brien was there to balance him out.

Also this week's Picard:-

Spoiler

HUGH! :crying: Stupid Aussie Romulan do your fucking job!

• 3 weeks later...

After watching the last episode.

I would rather, ultimately, that Picard have died. Obviously, that wasn't going to happen since we knew all along that there was a second season coming. Which begs the question as to why even write that in the first place?

Also apparently he is 94? I just kinda figured Picard was whatever age Patrick Stewart is.  It was a real mixed bag of a show and that's a rough ending.

Loved Riker turning up in the end though. That was cool. It was a shame that the first glimpse we really get of Starfleet ships and they all just kinda looked so uniform though.

6 hours ago, Hobo said:

After watching the last episode.

Hide contents

I would rather, ultimately, that Picard have died. Obviously, that wasn't going to happen since we knew all along that there was a second season coming. Which begs the question as to why even write that in the first place?

Also apparently he is 94? I just kinda figured Picard was whatever age Patrick Stewart is.  It was a real mixed bag of a show and that's a rough ending.

Loved Riker turning up in the end though. That was cool. It was a shame that the first glimpse we really get of Starfleet ships and they all just kinda looked so uniform though.

Spoiler

I didn't know it had been picked up for season 2 but I knew Picard wasn't going to die when I saw how much time was left in the episode. I thought he should have died, it would of been a fitting ending for his character.

On the other hand it did allow him to let Data "die" which in itself was a really beautiful and touching moment that led to a much better end for Data than the last movie did.

And yes I thought it was odd that apparently Starfleet decided to build only Zhang He class ships, too. It's not a proper fleet if there isn't a random Miranda class floating around somewhere!